'06 Rookie class

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by RW#30, Oct 21, 2008.

1. RW#30

RW#30 Member

2. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I admit I bought into the Draft the Stache thing back then, didn't know anything about LaMarcus and kind of felt disappointed with getting these two. Thought Roy would be solid but definitely not the difference maker he is now.

Who knew... we could've been staring at Randy Foye and Tyrus Thomas or Adam Morrison as our core now... eeek

3. BalancedMan

BalancedMan That's out of context....

Watching Roy in the NCAA tournament you could tell the guy was special, just like he is in the pros. LMA was somewhat underwhelming in college given his potential, but has clearly improved. I was never high on Thomas who just showed up for the tournament and lacked a position, and I couldn't believe the whole Draft The Stache hype. It was ridiculous and I'm glad that I didn't buy in.

It worked out so well. And to think, if Houston/Minn had gotten their way, we would have ended up with Rudy Gay, which wouldn't have been too bad either IMO.

4. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

I didn't know we were going to trade into this draft for a 2nd high pick - obviously. And I was hoping that we would be able to come away one of either LaMarcus Aldridge or Rudy Gay. I had no interest in Morrison. Didn't want to trade up for Bargnani and knew nothing about him anyway, but didn't like the style description - 7 foot shooting guard. I liked Roy, thought he would make it in the NBA, but didn't think he had All-Star potential like I though Gay did.

I was fearful we would miss out as I thought both LA and Gay should/would go top 3, leaving us out in the cold. I was hoping KP had a trick up his sleve to trade up to make sure.

That he was able to trade up with Chicago for the ridiculously low price of Victor was fantastic. That he was able to also snag Roy for peanuts in a series of deals was icing. I was VERY happy during the draft- after intially being puzzled before all the trades were announced.

Though, a lesser GM could have just sat back and let Rudy Gay fall into their lap - which would have been ok. A good draft. Instead, KP engineered and got the best big and the best lead guard after starting out with only the #4 pick. A brilliant draft.

If only he could have somehow got hold of Rudy Gay. That would have been the best single year multi-player draft in NBA history, for a team starting out with 1 lottery pick.

5. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Back in my Olive posting days I compared Roy's output to Wade (not his athletic ability just stat wise). I got crucified, the down side I wasn't real high on LMA. Kept hearing rumors that he was soft and had no work ethic. Very happy we got both of these guys. I thought Rudy Gay would be the best player out of the draft in 4-5 years, still to be determined.

6. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Here is a blast from the past for you from the other site 6-2-06:

http://www.basketballforum.com/portland-trail-blazers/275365-roy-perfect-fit.html

There is the Wade compared to Roy talk. See link for much more.

Big props for Blazer Maven for calling TRUTH.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->

7. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Good read thanks........Nice call on your part

BTW- a bet a few posters in here would like to have some of there comments deleted. ED O actually mad a nice call well sort of "I hope Portland either trades down to the 7-8 spots and takes him there or picks another player at the 4 spot."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  8. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I want to know who Blazer Maven is and if he has joined this site. He was spot on in his analysis and took a bunch of shit for his opinions.

9. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

For those of you that like saying all trade ideas would"never happen" and are "Homeristic", how many of you shouted down the guy who said #4 + Jack = #1? I mean, it was way off, b/c it was Victor and #4 = #2, but it just goes down as another time a lopsided trade happened.

10. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Awesome thread. Maven does look pretty smart:
    Roy wound up with 17/4/4. Not too far off.

Ed's retort to Maven's bold assertion?

Maven then changes his projection:
    Dude should've stuck to his guns.

11. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

Where is Mediocre Man, and why isn't he speaking up here? :devilwink:

12. Cake

Cake Member

What a minefield KP tiptoed through. I guess if you scout well enough, you KNOW where the mines are and you shouldn't step on any, but still...Morrison, S. Williams, Bargnani, Tyrus Thomas, etc. We got two of the 4 or 5 players worth a shit (at this point) in that lottery. (Gay, Brewer and possibly Foye plus our guys) And they're not the 4th and 5th best either, but the straight up two best. And by a lot. Nice work Pritchard.

I'll admit, I was wrong about one guy in the lottery...I thought Bargnani was going to be great. I was way off on that.

Speaking of the best two players in that draft...it's entirely possible that we did that two years in a row. Oden and Fernandez? Neither has played a minute in the NBA, but both look better than everybody else from that class, including Durant.

13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I think we got the top 2 players from that draft.

14. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Agreed. Although I wish the uninformed would stop saying how the Randolph deal was so horrible for the Blazers when we clearly increased our wins and we clearly acquired Rudy Fernandez via the Randolph deal. The Knicks are trying desperately to rid themselves of Randolph right now, and to think we acquired Channing Frye, Rudy Fernandez, and a load of cap space? Noobs.

15. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I bet D'Antoni would take Frye and Rudy for ZBO in a heartbeat!!!!

16. Drttimmy

Drttimmy Well-Known Member

I think I'll be more interested in next year's article on this subject. The 07 draft was supposed to be the deep in quality draft, while 06 was supposed to be one of the weakest in recent history. It could be argued the 06 class is actually overachieving at this point, based on what the experts originally projected. And it could be argued the 07 class is measuring well below their projection curve. It's an interesting comparison.

I'll always wonder who we would have chosen at #6 or 7 if we didnt win the lottery? Never heard it specifically addressed by someone in the know.