Merged: |0fficial| Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 28, 2016.

1. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

If you've seen Mario play- you can see the skill.
    When dealing with the Magic, this is the team that had Harkless floundering about and let him go for a protected 2nd rounder. Having said that, I'd take a flyer on Hezonja and see what you could mould from a nice shooting 21 year old. (has good size too)
    Much better value than Crabbe at any rate. . .

2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Harkless had legit wing players ahead of him in Orlando (Tobias, oladipo, Gordon, etc) hezonja can't even jump Jodie Meeks. And I've seen him play, that's why I don't like him. He's Travis outlaw mentally.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

last season he put up an avg of 19.3 pts and 10.9 rebounds...this season he's dow a couple pts in each category.....he's had games of 23/23..so I don't know where you get your view of the guy from but I love his game and he's everything we wanted Meyers to become....and he does play a stretch 4 often....he had almost 30 rebounds in one game...I think he had 29 total....where is Plumlee on that board? I think you vastly underrate his game...the guy can flat out shoot

Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  4. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

As I said, He's better than Crabbe. . .

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Ok, but he can't. He's a low post guy who has inflated stats because he's one of two guys on his team that can somewhat score. How is a career .280 3pt shooter a stretch 4? He's also painfully slow, no way would he ever be able to defend any power forwards. I'll give him the rebounding, but even those are inflated.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I disagree from an admittedly small sample size but I remembered his name last year after watching him beast and shoot really well...I'm not a stat guy, but I think he's the perfect guy for Stott's system

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Last year he shot .333 from deep...some of those shot clock prayers...this season he's doubled his blocks but had groin problems which sent him to the bench so his numbers are down.. again...I really think he's a guy who's got untapped potential and a lot to offer

BonesJones likes this.
  8. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

inflated stats or not, imagine what having a second capable scorer in the pic-n-roll will do for us. It will change everything. No more getting away with trapping dame and cj cause they will drop it off and he will get buckets.

riverman likes this.
  9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

even in an off year with groin setbacks, he's putting up way better numbers than Greg Monroe or Lamarcus Aldridge not to mention Meyers Leonard, Mason Plumlee or Ed Davis

10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nurkic does that AND plays defense AND is cheaper (contract wise) and younger.

Side note on Nurkic; he's represented by Dan Fegan who also reps Harkless and Ed Davis. Also represents Parsons. That relationship/familiarity with Olshey can only help.

HailBlazers and BonesJones like this.
  11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

We've got really bad Denver trade karma...but I like Nurkic quite a bit..I like Barton too

BonesJones and rotary111 like this.
  12. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I like his rebounding. He's an elite level rebounder, especially on the defense boards and that would be an improvement for us, to go with his scoring.

But, he's in his 6th NBA season and has made a grand total of 13 career 3-pointers. He was 2-9 last year for the entire season. That's .222 3FG%. He doesn't shoot many, and when he does, his percentage isn't good. He is not a stretch 4 or even a stretch 5. He does score in the low post, but his game is more mid-post, out to about 16 feet.

I haven't paid enough attention to his defensive game to assess his strengths and weaknesses, but his advanced defensive stats are surprisingly good. He's certainly not a rim protector (which we need) ,but at least not a total liability on defense.

BNM

dviss1, BonesJones and riverman like this.
  13. chzbrgr

I dont care who someone with a pulse at the forward spots would be an improvement

14. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Nelson is on $4.5M a year so shedding his salary will not be a priority for Denver. Including him and Napier in that deal does not really make sense for either team.

A player whose salary they might want to shed and who we may have use for is Kenneth Faried. I truly believe that our needs at power forward position are even more urgent than our center deficiences. You can get away with Plumlee but you cannot get away with not having a single capable PF.

15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Since when is the definition of a stretch 4 that they have a good three point shot? I always thought a stretch four was a paint guy who could shoot from the 15-18 ft range?
    To me the epitome of a stretch four would be an LMA type? Griffin is becoming one?
    The game has changed significantly though, so maybe the definition has slide out to the 3pt line now with guys like Dame and Curry shooting from half court and thus the bigs creating screens and picknpop opportunities from 30 ft these days?

The game is def very odd right now in terms of clearly defining positional roles. Big transition in effect.

16. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I'd still consider Greg Monroe if we are going for a defensive centre as well. Monroe would add inside scoring, would not play full games but we could give him 22-26 games at PF and C and he would come cheap. IMO we do need some inside scoring aside from rim protection and we are not going to get all that in one player because centers who can defend and score are few and far between. We are certainly not getting Anthony Davis or Joel Embiid.

Monroe can't defend but he can score. Sometimes we are going to need that.

I like the idea of Bogut but what can we realistically give for him? Dallas must want Leonard otherwise it is not possible for us to get him. Crabbe for Bogut would be too much unless we are also getting Matthews, but then we also need to add Leonard. I would actually like that. I know Matthews is old story but why not revisit.

17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So the plan is to conjoin them somehow so we can play them both at the same time and hope nobody notices?

18. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

What about combining Monroe with Nerlens Noel. That gives us low post scoring in Monroe and interior defense with Noel.

It addresses two needs, but neither provides the floor spacing Stotts seems to prefer at the 4 spot.

I've long been advocating a Crabbe for Noel swap. Not sure what it would take to get Monroe from MIL. Maybe something like Meyers Leonard + one of either Ed Davis or Al-Farouq Aminu.

Both of these players have fallen out of favor with their current teams and are both supposedly available for the taking. Both of these seem like Olshey "buy low" moves.

The question is, can these two coexist? Last year, PHI forced Noel to play out of position at PF so they could play Okafor at center. Being forced to play away from the basket on offense hurt Noel's production and on defense he spent a lot of his time and energy trying to erase Okafor's mistakes. Is Monroe just an older version of Okafor - great low post scorer with no defense? Would we start Noel and bring Monroe off the bench to back up both the 4 and 5 spots?

Ultimately, while I like what both players bring, I'm not sure either would thrive playing next to the other. One of them would be forced to play away from the basket on offense, and that does not maximize their talent.

BNM

19. chzbrgr

They both need the ball in similar spots on the floor, are more effective at C, and you need shooting from that 4 spot at least SOME of the time in this offense and we dont have any right now

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Guyyyys..Nurkic is the answer. Also fits Olsheys model of finding younger players that just need to be given more faith/playing time.

BonesJones likes this.