Merged: |0fficial| Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 28, 2016.

1. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Crabbe is not a 3 in the NBA he's not even a 2-3 he's a 2 we cant just trot out the smallest team in the league and expect to play any defense. We need length and defensive versatility to surround dame and cj Okafor is a solution for a question no one is asking.

2. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

You are right!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2017
  3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Okafor would be a disaster to trade for. If we want to give up 140 a game then we should definitely trade our 2nd best defender for the sieve named Jahlil.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  4. BonesJones

I could see this:

PHI Gets: Harkless, Ezeli
    POR Gets: Noel, Henderson, Right to Swap ONE OR BOTH OF OUR 1STS for LAL's 2017 1ST,

It could be Olshey's slick way of basically moving into the top 6 in the draft, while adding a piece of need, and a veteran Harkless replacement where there isn't much of a drop-off. Could make us better now and for the future.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  5. BonesJones

My fingers are crossed for Whiteside.

POR Gets: Whiteside, Johnson
    MIA Gets: Harkless, Ezeli, Both 2017 1sts,
    3rd Team Gets: Meyers?

Maybe?

Dougnsalem likes this.
  6. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

THIS! I have said it before- multi player/pick trade for Noel and Henderson. I was kinda thinking it would be centered around AC though....

BonesJones likes this.
  7. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Such an overvalue of a player who struggles to get his own shot, and gets garbage buckets...
    While being someone who fouls a lot, and at times will lose his man on defense.
    Not to mention is Harkless really a position of need for Philly? Would make that trade even worse knowing Simmons is coming back.
    Also I doubt adding another player who can't get his own shot is really going to allow Portland to get over the top tier western conference teams.
    Noel would help Portland make the playoffs though... Shame they've already shown that ability.

But hey, I'm too much of a nose-picker to understand basketball.
    :mellow:

8. Dougnsalem

Dougnsalem not barf

Yup, one of the D league teams.....

Orion Bailey and BonesJones like this.
  9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Why can he not be a3?

10. BonesJones

Wait, what we need most is a player that can create his own shot???

Dude, we need a rim protector. Noel is a good pick n roll big and runs the floor well, so he'd fit with Dame and CJ. Imagine giving Vonlehs and Meyers minutes to Noel.

The Sixers said they're gonna play Simmons as a true PG. With Harkless, they'd have 4 starters 6'9 or taller. He'd fit what they're doing.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Well, now I don't understand basketball... due to the nose picking so bare with me.

I believe in Today's NBA there is a lot of pick and roll ran. It's one of, if not the main play for every team.

Portland has very few players that can actually do something once Lillard/CJ get trapped and they break the trap with the pass.
    Plumlee has shown the ability to pass in a 4 on 3 situation, but he has also shown the inability to finish at the rim in those same situations. So basically NBA defenses know he's going to pass.
    Hi 2016 Conference Finals, Draymon says hi.
    Aminu flashed an ability to hit a three last year... But this year, if I'm not wrong is pretty much brick-city or three dribbles and turnover/bad shot-city.
    I really hope you don't believe Noel would be better than Plumlee... He might be an upgrade over Aminu tihs year, due to Noel not dribbling the ball. But.... Really?~
    (now if we're talking Turner, not CJ/Lillard.. Yes I believe Noel would fit far better than Okafor with Turner. Teams defend Turner differently in the pick and roll, than they do for CJ/Lillard)

Okafor has shown an ability at a very young age to pass, dribble, and score. Regardless of how inefficient it is due to being on a team with some of the worst guards in the league. Oh wait, Embiid and Okafor fit together? LOL. Sorry, sorry I don't know basketball so I shouldn't speak on if players can play well together...(although if you check my post history, I believe I was one of the few posters on this board who said before last year CJ+Lillard can play together and they're nothing like Ellis/Curry offensively) I wish I wasn't such a nose picker.

I could find others I've posted on these forums.
    Former defensive player of the year Gasol has been owned as well.

Not going to deny Okafor would need to improve on defense for Portland to have a chance at a ring.. Though Plumlee doesn't really set the world on fire defensively either.

Okay so Harkless, a career 31% 3 point shooter who's had two years at league average and three years very much below league average is going to fit with Embiid, and Simmons.(Who's no Kyle Korver himself....) Well at least one of those three can shoot.
    Defense is one thing, but you must space the floor in todays NBA if you expect to win. Even Memphis has found that out, Chicago is finding that out this year.

But hypothetically lets say Harkless does indeed fit in with what Philly wants to do... Which is lol in itself.
    How exactly is Harkless + a non lotto pick worth a defensive stud in Noel, and a top 6 draft pick(chance to swap), plus Henderson???
    and people say BGD has whack trade ideas.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Trackjack likes this.
  12. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Maybe HCP knows something about the trade?

13. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Doubt he'd risk his job if he did.

dviss1, BonesJones and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. BonesJones

I think Harkless has a lot more trade value than you do. His shot has shown improvement, and he's still 23. Embiid, Saric, Harkless, + a SG puts 4, at the very least, solid 3 point shooters around Simmons. Harkless would be a great fit and that's why theyd give up the right to swap a pick that they very well may never have (LAL gets it back if it's Top 3).

Harkless also has more value than Noel because he can stay healthy, and his contract. Harkless is making $9M a year, while Noel will likely make $15M+.

If LALs pick was surely going to Philadelphia as, say the 5th pick, then they wouldn't do it.

But they could possibly take the chance that
    A.) The pick becomes top 3 and they don't even get it because of LALs protections
    B.) The Lakers improve. They've had a very tough schedule. If that pick becomes 8 or 9, trading it for 16 and 29 suddenly isn't a bad thing at all, especially in a deep draft with a clear cut top 7. They might take this risk to upgrade Noel into Harkless (upgrade is in terms of roster fit).

Dougnsalem likes this.
  15. BonesJones

Fun one:

POR Gets: Brook and Robin Lopez, Bojan Bogdanovic
    CHI Gets: Ed Davis, Noah Vonleh
    BKN Gets: Festus Ezeli, Maurice Harkless, Meyers Leonard

Lillard / McCollum
    McCollum / Turner
    Crabbe / Bogdanovic
    Plumlee / Aminu
    Brook / Robin

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Brooklyn would probably want at least one of our picks too

17. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

You're right, I don't value Harkless as high as some Portland fans.
    I think there are many young players his size in the league, who are average shooters(for a season), who rarely can get their own shot, who are average defenders, and who foul a lot.
    Teams didn't really value Harkless in RFA, not sure why they'd value him now... He's an average nba player with as many weaknesses as strengths.
    I know most Portland fans don't believe that. But there were many Portland fan's up in arm's over T-Rob's departure... Saying how Portland would regret it.
    Well Portland doesn't, and although Harkless is much better than "The Tank". They do have a few things in common. At times getting lost on defense, they get easy buckets, they hustle, and at times they make flashy plays. The last two is what will make Portland fan's love a player.

Harkless is also making 9m this year, by the time his contract is up he'll be making 11m. He also has 2m in incentives. Averages out to around 10.5m a year.
    Saric has also been hit or miss his rookie year. He started off cold as hell, and has pulled his shooting % to a respectable(at least from three) 35%. However he still shoots 38% from the field.
    Basically two players I wouldn't have a desire to pair with Simmons & Embiid if I had to give up too much. Pick + Noel + player is too much.

The pick logic just doesn't work. + there is another player you have listed in there.
    If you're a team who isn't going to win a ring, you're going to value a pick in a "deep draft" with a clear cut top 7. More than using it to acquire an average NBA player. Due to $$$$$$.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  18. BonesJones

Probably.

19. BonesJones

Name a=some 6'9 SFs in the league that is an above average shooter and above average defender. Yeah, you can name guys like Durant, but that's not a realistic option for the 76ers. Name a couple guys who they could hypothetically get like that, who's also as young as Harkless. (Hint: There's not "so many" like you claim.)

You obviously didn't understand what I meant by clear-cut top 7. There's a BIG fall-off from 7th (Isaac) to 8th (Markkanen, Anunoby, etc.) There's a group of players between 8th and 20th that really have no difference in value.

It's pick (that they may not have) for two lower picks. Stop saying it like they're just giving us a pick for free. It's a swap, which will likely be within 10 picks of each other. The drop off between 7 and 15-17 isn't as big as normal years. It's about the difference between 7 and 12 in a normal year. The 29th pick (CLE's) that we'd give them is about equal to 20th in a normal draft, because the draft is so deep.

So in a normal draft, 7th for 12th and 20th isn't bad, and might be a good trade for them value wise. Hell, Sacremento gave 8th for 13th and 28th last year. Harkless is an upgrade for them over Noel, due to fit and money. Henderson isn't of any value to them, but if he was the deal breaker then I'm sure we could find a wing replacement for Harkless somewhere else.

20. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

DAMN! You fly 5 hours cross country and all hell breaks loose. Loving all the theories and rumors.

dviss1, Orion Bailey, Eastoff and 3 others like this.