1000 Messages Left for Stern

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Shapecity, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

"Good morning, Mr. Stern. You have 1,000 messages."</p>

That's what the organizers of Save Our Sonics and Storm hope NBA commissioner David Stern hears when he checks his voice mail today.</p>

Instead of pulling out the bullhorn and picket signs to chant their disapproval of the Sonics' possible move to Oklahoma, the group went stealth.</p>

As the Sonics tipped off their 41st season, about five volunteers circled KeyArena's exterior and concourse handing out the commissioner's number <font size="5">(it's 212-407-8300, by the way)</font>, asking people to let Stern know they want to keep the team for another 41 seasons.</p>

The flier encouraged people to "give David Stern a piece of your mind [and] pass this number onto fellow Sonics fans and call frequently!"</p>

Last week the commissioner said at teleconference with national media there was little he could do to help keep the Sonics in Seattle.</p>

"I've called him [Stern] a few times," said Curtis Fanta, 20, who helped hand out the number. "I told him just how disappointed I'd be if they left and how I loved the Sonics since I was really little. The NBA seems to be going downhill."</p>

Some fans didn't want Stern's number, preferring to take "Keep Our Teams Here" placards as they entered the arena. But Fanta said the overall "reaction has been really good. Most are like, 'Yeah, I'm going to call right now.' "</p>

Sonics primary owner Clay Bennett instituted an Oct. 31 deadline to have a definitive proposal in place for a new "world-class arena" when he purchased the team last year from the previous ownership, headed by Starbucks' Howard Schultz. Otherwise, Bennett said he would move the Sonics and Storm to Oklahoma.</p>

But that date passed with no movement, and no statement from Bennett regarding his plans.</p>

"Mr. Bennett wants the focus to be on the team, on the game, on the start of the season and the fans enjoying the game," said spokesman Dan Mahoney, reiterating the same line given all week. "He'll have further comment [today]."</div></p>

Source: Seattle Times</p>

2. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

Save Our Sonics & Storm (SOS&S) was not associated with this flyer and the individuals involved were not members of the organization. They were distributed by independant fans who had no connection with the organization. The Seattle Times writer, Jayda Evans, jumped to conclusions and failed to check her facts before publishing. In fact, the flyers said "Support Our Sonics," not "Save our Sonics." SOS&S feels that the Times was irresponsible of publishing false information and worse, of deciding to publish the phone number in their paper.</p>