16 Game Sweep

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by kjironman1, May 21, 2017.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the Warriors can do a 16 game sweep through the Playoffs this year?
    Sure isn't looking like they will lose any of the first 12.
    Really doesn't look like the Cavs will either.
    Question???? Has there ever been two teams to make the finals on 12 game playoff winning streaks? I don't think anything like that has ever happened. The way this playoff season is going i guess we have to look for something to add a little intrigue.

stampedehero likes this.
  2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

been boring as hell, not good for NBA IMO

Eastoff, Binx, Blazers Roy and 2 others like this.
  3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Haven't watched a game other than the Blazers because there was so much inevitability about this season. No drama whatsoever. Least amount of NBA I've ever watched. The Warriors/Spurs series might have been good but Zaza decided to take an additional step on his close out to make sure he was under Leonard's feet. Former NBA coach and league executive Stu Jackson was on the radio the other day and he even took issue with what Zaza did which surprised me.

Any drama there would have been.....completely wiped out.

4. kjironman1

Yep this is a tough post season to watch. I pretty much turn the game on and do something else until the end and see if it's even a game. Not many so far. Actually the Blazers gave them a better run it games 1 and 3 than i have seen the Warriors have to put forth.

5. kjironman1

Like i was saying. I am now on the "Will there be a team to sweep their way to the Championship" zone?

6. kjironman1

Wondering if this year will be so bad for ratings that the NBA will be forced to change some rules as far as cap and free agency?

Binx and Orion Bailey like this.
  7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Yeah, like any team with an MVP at one time on their team, is not allowed to trade for(unless trading said MVP) or sign another MVP.

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I doubt it'll be a 16 game sweep. The Finals should be competitive. I expect the Warriors to win, but the Cavaliers have a good enough offense (and arguably the best player of all-time) that a few down games from the Warriors and they could be upset again.

9. kjironman1

It's not really so simple. The players themselves have to know this is not good for earnings. TV ratings and earnings are what drive the cap. If the ratings and earnings from TV suffer then all players suffer in the end on their paycheck. So sure Durant gets his ring but every player in the league is paying for that said ring. How long do you think that will continue to work out?

10. kjironman1

I agree a sweep is highly unlikely. Actually the point is more that because there have been so many sweeps so far the entire playoff revenue is down. So pushing for the first 16 game sweep might be the only way to get huge rating for the rest of the playoffs. The other side is making sure it goes to an epic 7 game series. But by then who really cares except Oakland and Cleveland?

11. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Lol, just think if some of the revenues and therefore cap projections start declining, we have already seen downward adjustments and ESPN is losing their ass with the recent broadcast contract, they need to be thinking about this stuff

TBpup likes this.
  12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Best run I can remember is the second Shaq-Kobe run when they didn't lose a single game in regulation and only lost that one overtime game (the Iverson-steps-over-Tyronn Lue game). But I think the first round was best of five back then.

13. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    The Cavs will win it all again. LeBron is just on another level.

kjironman1 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. kjironman1

I honestly don't think the Cavs have a chance in that series but you never know?

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I'm actually hoping both CLE and GSW sweep their way to the finals and then GSW sweeps CLE.

Not because I want GSW to win, but because I want the NBA to do something about this ridiculously imbalanced level of competitiveness that is making this post season the least exciting, least enjoyable in my 45+ years of watching NBA basketball.

If GSW can sweep the team that swept the EAST, that has the best player on the planet, hopefully the NBA will make meaningful changes to prevent the creation of these super teams that leave everybody else with absolutely no chance of competing for a championship.

This shit is just unwatchable. I've lost count of how many games I've turned off the TV at, or before, halftime this year. When one team, is already up by 30, what's the point?

And that fucking pisses me off. I LOVE to watch basketball - when the game is competitive and could go either way. I love games with lots of lead changes that come down to the last possession, whose outcome rides on one shot/defensive play. That's what the NBA playoffs used to be - very competitive with a shit ton of close and overtime games.

This shit is so fucking boring, it's making me lose interest in the NBA as soon a the Blazer's season is over. I've TRIED to watch pretty much every game, but due to the complete lack of suspense about the outcome, I've probably watched fewer minutes of NBA playoff basketball this year than any year in the last three decades.

TNT can't be liking this. The two teams in the finals getting there playing the minimum number of games and many viewers tuning out at halftime, if they even bother to even turn on the game in the first place.

BNM

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  16. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

Never in the history of the NBA have the same two teams met in the finals in three consecutive years until this year. Only twice, both being the Lakers, unless I missed something, has a team swept their way all the way into the finals. This playoffs we may see both teams from the east and west do just that. I can't see how this is good for basketball.

I haven't watched the last two finals and won't watch this year's either. I have no interest. I love basketball, but I am growing more and more disinterested with the NBA.

Dougnsalem and RipCityDSCPL like this.
  17. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

in a couple years the warriors might have 4 players making a combined 160mm. Let's see if they pay the massive luxury tax, but if so, they are playing by the rules. Can't really stop players from choosing where they want to go.

18. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

It would have been cute if i wrote this post, because i'm the weird foreign guy who knows nothing about American culture.

But you sir? you must know by now that if GS will indeed sweep the Cavs then the NBA and ESPN will spin it around as the greatest thing that ever happened to basketball.

Oh yea! that includes endless ramblings and documentaries on how this GSW team is the best thing in the history of basketball, is Curry the best point guard in history? A new media consensus on how Durant was right to join the Warriors because "He got to play the right way!", how lucky we all are to be witnessing this magical wonder of a team, this is a great dynasty to watch like the 60's Celts and the 90's Bulls were great to watch, a story about how much of a gentleman Draymond Green is off the court ("i only grab pussies outside the court, Doris)" etc etc.

This shit writes itself. the NBA and ESPN will spin and market everything according to how the wind blows.

19. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Only 2 teams (89 Lakers and 01 Lakers) have swept en route to Finals. They were 11-0 since first round was best of 5. 89 Lakers got swept in Finals. 01 Lakers lost Game 1 of the Finals and then won four straight so they finished with an all time best playoff record 15-1.

20. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Seriously? The Finals may be the highest rated ever. Both teams are playing out of their minds. Everyone will want to see them play each other. I bet Game 1 is the highest game 1 ever.