1st round Preview

Discussion in 'New Orleans Pelicans' started by starman85, Apr 14, 2004.

1. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

This is just a brief overview, and I'm sure that Accord and I will update it as stuff comes up.

Who: <font color="teal">New Orleans Hornets</font> and <font color="red">Miami Heat</font>
    Where: Miami, Florida and New Orleans, Louisiana
    When: TBA

<u>Records:</u>
    <font color="teal">Hornets (41-41, 3rd in Central)</font>
    <font color="red">Heat (42-40, 2nd in Atlantic)</font>

<u>Likely Starters</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

<u>Key Matchups</u>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Usually Baron, the seasoned All-star, would make quick work of Wade, who's been phenomenal this year. But Baron is coming off of an injury, and Wade has come on strong late in the season, giving season-long favorites Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony a run for their money in the Rookie of the Year race. Still, I feel that if Baron plays his game and uses his strength against Wade, he should come out on top. Look for Wade to use his exceptional speed and scoring ability to tire out Davis.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If Mash is in, he won't be his normal stuff, but still give him the edge. But if he doesn't suit up for the playoffs, give the clear edge to Butler, who is finally showing the stuff that made him a top candidate for ROY last year and who should give George Lynch and Stacey Augmon a difficult time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Hornets' third All-star is often forgotten, but could be the pivotal key to this matchup. If he can continue what he did for the last half a dozen games of the regular season and average a 20-10 for the Hornets, the Heat will have a hard time doing anything in the paint. Still, that might not be enough for a victory over the tenacious Heat.

<u>Keys to the Game</u>
    <font color="teal">Hornets</font>
    - Feed the ball to Jamaal. He's the Hornets' star right now, and Baron is going to have to feed off of him. Baron might still set the tempo, but Jamaal is their most consistent force right now, and look for Tim Floyd to take advantage of that.
    - Try to make the Heat jack up threes. They can hit them, especially Rafer Alston, but if that's all they're doing than they're less dangerous than when they get Odom and Grant going on the inside.
    - Spread the points evenly between Baron, Jamal and Jamaal. In the past, Hornets' playoff opponents have had the luxury of keying in on one scoring threat. If they can take that away from the Heat, then they'll be eyeing another 2nd round berth.
    <font color="red">Heat</font>
    - Get Wade going early. If the Hornets' double team, use high picks which give him the option of dishing to the screen man(one of their forwards) or to Eddie Jones, a great scorer who can create his own shot.
    - Feed the ball to the inside. Not only will it get them some easier baskets, but may get the Hornets' big men into foul trouble, which would help immensely in containing Magloire.
    - Keep spreading the guard minutes' around. The Hornets have a 3-guard rotation just like the Heat, so their guards are always fresh. The Heat need to make sure Alston is getting adequate minutes so that he can contribute the boost that has made him a candidate for Most Improved Player and 6th Man of the Year.

<font color="gold">Starman's Prediction:</font>

This seems like a rematch of the 2001 first round series between the Heat and the Hornets, then based in Charlotte. The Heat are still the high seed and are still favored for the victory. But now as then, the Hornets have some tricks up their sleeve, this time in the form of a potential trio of All-Stars.

That's what the series depends on. If Mash is activated and stays healthy for the whole series, it will belong to the Hornets. Even if he averages 14 ppg, it will be enough, maybe not statistically, but mentally, to boost the Hornets. Baron has shown time and again that he can carry more of the scoring load than he does when Mash is around. And Magloire has proven himself to be a legit 20 ppg scorer when it matters.

The Heat sport some really awesome players, and have youth over the Hornets. Wade doesn't have as much experience as some point guards, but is electrifying, and plays a lot of minutes at the 2guard spot anyway with Alston coming in. Wade and Jones contribute an awesome 1-2 punch from the outside, with Lamar Odom balancing them on the inside. If Caron Butler is playing his best ball as well, then it will be key for Odom to rebound hard. The Heat will have to look to Grant and Udonis Haslem to do the same if they're going to match the big Hornets' frontline of P.J. Brown, Jamaal Magloire, Robert Traylor, David West and George Lynch. All five are rebounding threats when in the game, so the Heat have to stay on their toes.

In the end, I think it depends on Jamal Mashburn. We've been saying for years how he's the man when it comes to the bugs, but out of the four seasons he's been there, its been more Baron Davis' team than Monster Mash's. It was Baron who lead the Hornets into the 2nd round single handedly in '02, and who battled Allen Iverson in '03, and who took the team on his back this season. Though he was All-Star and All-NBA last season, the only post season boost he's given the team was in the '01 playoffs versus the Heat and Bucks. If he's ready to go for this one, there's not much the Heat can do. I'm betting he'll be there, so the Hornets ought to take it.

Hornets 4, Heat 2

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

Baron's going to have a tough time with Wade, and P.J with Odom because of the quickness, but Magloire should get the ball a lot against Grant.

Mash isn't that good a defender so I see Caron having some big games on him but if he can shoot higher percentages then he'll change things on the offensive end. Wesley and Jones in a way cancel each other out but I think Jones has the upper hand in the matchup.

I say: Heat 4, Hornets 3, the Heat have been on fire and their's been too much turmoil in Hornet land.

3. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

This serie will depend on Magloire..everybody else can pretty much even out , I still think Hornets will win the serie 4-2.

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Nice and loooooooooong preview Starman, but I read through it and wasn't really a waste of time.

The Hornets have the experience factor and the Heat have the higher talent level. In my opinion, experience beats talent down the stretch, and the Hornets will take the boost that Mash provides them with and win at least 2 games with his help. The other 2 wins needed will most likely be off bad performances by the Heat and stellar All-Star play from Baron Davis.

Hornets in 7.

5. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I think they said Mash is out the first game but I dont think that will hurt them,they've played without him pretty much all season.The Heat are young but I dont think they have that much of an inside presence.This series will depend on how Baron Davis and Jamal Magloire perform.How healthy Baron is will also be a factor because he just came off an injury.

6. hornetsman

hornetsman JBB JustBBall Member

Starman, your assesment was extremely true, and I would know this being a diehard hornets fan myself. Mash is not gonna be playing in the playoffs. He has been quite a cancer to us this year and has rejected Tim Floyds system. He has had a mysterious knee injury both the first time, and now this time. The matchups were very good, along with your description. It seems that I've found the right place looking for some intelligent discussion from heat fans and maybe hornets fans.

7. Fartman

Fartman JBB JustBBall Member

Most of all i think we have a lot bigger oppurtunity now then we would have against the detroit pistons, not taking anything from the hornets but i thnk that fight would be a lot bigger then in this one. But i think the heat fight won't be so easy too, the have caron and dwyane both are young talents that want to prove theirselfs in this most exciting time of the year for the NBA and i think for them this will be a matter of life and death also rafer alston of the bench is going to be a main factor in these series. I think that Mash won't play and if he plays he can get 10 ppg MAX. but like u said starman he can be a very big mentally for the team even if he plays crap games he's important. Magloire vs Grant, hmmm i don't know guys Big Cat is our all-star but i'm not going to make grant as "pure candy" or something lets remember most of those guys get a lot of positive motivation for the playoffs and i think that grant can have that a lot in these series, but overall i would go with Magloire because he had a career season, and of course Baron Davis you got everything right starman the 2002 and 2003 proven that this is THE LEADER not mash B-diddy is the go to guy who can clinch these series for New Orleans. I remember last year, guy coming from injury season fighting like the tiger for the second round and mash who had a career season gets injured finger in the second or first game [​IMG] I think with healthy Baron we can Win this one, i keep my fingers crossed for my favourite team!

8. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Nice job Starman.:thumbsup:

I am going with the Heat in this one. The Heat have really impressed me this year and they are all healthy and are coming strong. I believe they have too many weapons for the Hornets to handle.

Davis will need to lead this team in order for the Hornets to advance. He needs to have a high FG percentage which means taking good shots.

This should be one of the better first round match ups in the postseason, I don't think we will be disappointed.

Heat in 6.