2006 Draft Discussions

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I thought I would do this early so we don?t always have to talk about how badly the Knicks are doing. So, with two picks in the 20?s (probably 21 and 28), who should the Knicks go after in the draft? Here are some draft sites to check out in regards to player information:

NBADraft.net ? not the greatest source for help, but they are okay in terms of a player?s strengths and weaknesses. Don?t follow the positioning too much; these are the same guys who had Bogut in the second round about a little more than a year ago.

EliteDraft.net ? not a bad site at all. I like their strengths and weaknesses section and the way they use the stars to rate a player?s attributes. Their positioning is terrible too, but I think that?s due to it not being edited. Either that or they?re idiots.

DraftExpress.net ? formerly known as draft city, I like them for their coverage on marquee match-ups and international players. They?re missing/haven?t updated some of the players there, but it?s a good site overall.

2. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

Rudy Fernandez with Denver's pick and Souza with San Antonio's pick. Rudy Fernandez has the intelligence and versatility that we seem to be sorely lacking right now. He's getting minutes and consistently putting up good numbers in the Spanish league which is second best domestic league in the world(the NBA is first)so he's a relatively safe pick.

Souza would be a high upside pick. He could be a very good player if he lives up to his potential but I dont consider that too likely. He's pretty big for a small forward, athletic, can shoot the trey, is a good defender when he wants to be and has decent slashing skills when he decides to use them. If we are extremely lucky we get an All Star player at the small forward position. If we are a little lucky we get an athletic jumpshooter. If we arent lucky we get a player who wont turn into anything worth bringing over to the NBA.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

how about drafting daryll hill mr. j?

4. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

I would draft a new GM.

5. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting phiLA:</div><div class="quote_post">how about drafting daryll hill mr. j?</div>
    Ha ha, I think it'll be best for Hill to stay at St. John's a bit longer if he has any hopes of getting drafted at all.

As for the picks, I've been looking at these guys:

Shannon Brown: He?s a skilled player who knows how to score with the best of them. His biggest strength is probably his athleticism. At 6?4?, he can dunk it on just about anyone. Last week against Penn State he had 29 points including a ridiculous throw down on someone. His feet were on the same level as the other guy?s head! He?s a pretty good shooter and a good defender, too. The only real setback to his game is his height at 6?4? (not too undersized) and his passing ability which is about average.

Brandon Rush: He?s young, raw, but has a lot of potential. His brother, JaRon Rush, was the same way, but was lazy and ultimately never made it into the NBA. Brandon has the lazy tag on him too. He?s a tremendous talent, though. He?s a phenomenal athlete, has a solid shooting stroke, and has the potential to be a good defender although he doesn?t play much of it. He?s a high risk, high reward type of player. Not my first choice, but I am keeping an eye out for him. Could he be the Charlie Villanueva player of this draft?

Josh Boone: He has a low ceiling, but the Knicks need defense and Boone will give them that. Boone is a pretty good shot blocker and rebounder. He?ll do the things Curry doesn?t do. He?s terrible offensively, but I think that will work as an advantage since there many people on the Knicks, Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, Nate, and now Rose, who will like to shoot.

Shelden Williams: A bit of stretch ? okay, a lot of a stretch, but if we can possibly package the picks and hope for some slipping, I think Shelden can be a Knick. He?s, a strong rebounder and defender, and a very good shotblocker. He?s kind of undersized at 6?9?, but his strength makes up for it. He also has a very good attitude and work ethic, so we don?t have to worry about him getting into any trouble.

Dee Brown: He?s little, but has a ton of heart. Doesn?t have that much NBA potential because of his size, but he?s the type of floor general that will allow Marbury to play shooting guard. He?s also a very strong leader on the court and I?m sure the type that can get the Knicks pumped up. A lot of mocks seem to make him around 28 and higher, and if that?s the case, he can be a steal for us.

6. Tribute to H2O

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Ha ha, I think it'll be best for Hill to stay at St. John's a bit longer if he has any hopes of getting drafted at all.

As for the picks, I've been looking at these guys:

Shannon Brown: He?s a skilled player who knows how to score with the best of them. His biggest strength is probably his athleticism. At 6?4?, he can dunk it on just about anyone. Last week against Penn State he had 29 points including a ridiculous throw down on someone. His feet were on the same level as the other guy?s head! He?s a pretty good shooter and a good defender, too. The only real setback to his game is his height at 6?4? (not too undersized) and his passing ability which is about average.</div>

You also forgot to mention his ball handling which I understand is definetely below average for an NBA guard. All I need to know about him is that he's a 6'3" shooting guard(possibly 6'4")and that really isnt acceptable. I generally dont like undersized guards. Their usually defensive liabilities and since were already a defense deficient team I say we pass on him.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Brandon Rush: He?s young, raw, but has a lot of potential. His brother, JaRon Rush, was the same way, but was lazy and ultimately never made it into the NBA. Brandon has the lazy tag on him too. He?s a tremendous talent, though. He?s a phenomenal athlete, has a solid shooting stroke, and has the potential to be a good defender although he doesn?t play much of it. He?s a high risk, high reward type of player. Not my first choice, but I am keeping an eye out for him. Could he be the Charlie Villanueva player of this draft?</div>

He's not falling to us.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Josh Boone: He has a low ceiling, but the Knicks need defense and Boone will give them that. Boone is a pretty good shot blocker and rebounder. He?ll do the things Curry doesn?t do. He?s terrible offensively, but I think that will work as an advantage since there many people on the Knicks, Marbury, Crawford, Richardson, Nate, and now Rose, who will like to shoot.</div>

He has been underwhelming so far this season. And even if he did stay in the draft this year he'd still be gone by the time our pick came up. He still is a big man afterall.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Shelden Williams: A bit of stretch ? okay, a lot of a stretch, but if we can possibly package the picks and hope for some slipping, I think Shelden can be a Knick. He?s, a strong rebounder and defender, and a very good shotblocker. He?s kind of undersized at 6?9?, but his strength makes up for it. He also has a very good attitude and work ethic, so we don?t have to worry about him getting into any trouble.</div>

"A lot of stretch" is an understatement dont you think? He's most likely going to be a lottery pick. There is no way he's falling to us whether we package our picks or not.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Dee Brown: He?s little, but has a ton of heart. Doesn?t have that much NBA potential because of his size, but he?s the type of floor general that will allow Marbury to play shooting guard. He?s also a very strong leader on the court and I?m sure the type that can get the Knicks pumped up. A lot of mocks seem to make him around 28 and higher, and if that?s the case, he can be a steal for us.</div>

Dee Brown is definetely not the type of point guard who can allow Marbury to play shooting guard- by the way I'm not a supporter of moving Marbury to shooting guard. Dee Brown is not a true point guard and will most likely drive Larry Brown crazy with his decision making. But I'd like to draft him to come off the bench and play great defense. The Knicks should draft Fernandez and Brown. Fernandez will upgrade our shooting guard play both offensively and defensively and Brown will give us a decent back up point guard that scores and plays good defense.

7. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Here are the possible prospects I think we should go after:

Marcus Vinicius Viera De Souza - Just cause you cant say his name doesnt mean he's not good, the guy may be skinny but he's got potential to be one good player.

Guillermo Diaz - My favorite NCAA player. He's a gaurd with again potential like Marcus but he's amazingly athletic. On Nate's level athletically, and a nice offensive game with improving defense.

Paul Davis - A solid big man, he doesnt have as much potential as the other guys I've mentioned so far but he'll be a solid NBA player, He'll be like Chris Mihm but better, if he turns out to be good.

Brandon Roy - A good defensive swingman from what I've heard and his offense isnt bad, he would be like Paul Davis, a solid pick.

Just a few suggestions, I think we should stay away from Dee Brown though just because we have Nate and I think IMO two undersized PG's isnt going to be a good thing but then again quickness could be real big...

8. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">Here are the possible prospects I think we should go after:

Marcus Vinicius Viera De Souza - Just cause you cant say his name doesnt mean he's not good, the guy may be skinny but he's got potential to be one good player.

Guillermo Diaz - My favorite NCAA player. He's a gaurd with again potential like Marcus but he's amazingly athletic. On Nate's level athletically, and a nice offensive game with improving defense.

Paul Davis - A solid big man, he doesnt have as much potential as the other guys I've mentioned so far but he'll be a solid NBA player, He'll be like Chris Mihm but better, if he turns out to be good.

Brandon Roy - A good defensive swingman from what I've heard and his offense isnt bad, he would be like Paul Davis, a solid pick.

Just a few suggestions, I think we should stay away from Dee Brown though just because we have Nate and I think IMO two undersized PG's isnt going to be a good thing but then again quickness could be real big...</div>

Heres Guillermo Diaz when he was in High School...but I'm not sure if he would fit on this team.

http://hoop-rap.com/images/videos/newdiaz.avi

9. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Mardy Collins, PG, Temple - He was once considered a top ten pick but his stock has fell after a some what unimpressive season thus far for the Temple Owls. At 6'6" he can play shooting guard or point for the Knicks and move Marbury to the 2.

Paul Davis, C, Michigan State - Probably the most likely pick out of the four I listed but Davis has great size (6'10") and a decent jumper for his size. Davis has really been dominating college ball so far, averging 18 points and 10 boards a game. Would fit nice next to Fyre down low.

Maurice Ager, SG, Michigan State - If he falls down to the Knicks they shouldn't waste any time by picking him. Ager will start instantly for the Knicks and will become a fan favorite.

Josh Boone, PF/C, UConn - Boone is just the type of player the Knicks need. He won't score but he'll go get the loose ball, grab a board, and even swat a shot here and there.

A big possiblity would be to package the picks and move up into the range where they project Sheldon Williams to go, then pick him.

10. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Guillermo Diaz - He's a gaurd with again potential like Marcus but he's amazingly athletic. On Nate's level athletically, and a nice offensive game with improving defense.
    ...</div>

That's the thing though. He's another undersized combo guard. Maybe j0se might know better. Would drafting him be just like drafting a taller version of Nate Robinson?

Packing the picks to move up to ensure the Knicks get someone like Mardy Collins makes a lot of sense. He a large point guard and iseems like he would fit Brown's system. This year I've been making an effort to get my hands on some college games and I've seen about 3 with Mardy Collin's in them. Not to say this makes me a scout or anything but I can really see him working well with Stephon Marbury or Jamaal Crawford. At the beginning of the year though, he was struggling a lot with his shot. (Though his team always seems to be taking forced shots). I read recently on Draftexpress that he has been heating up though (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1179), 53 points over 2 games with a 17:3 assist to turnover ratio.

If the Knicks don't get Collins, they should go after Rondo. He's been totted (sp? phonetic = toe-ted) for his defense and long arm span (around 7'0 ft). He looks like he could be moulded to play any type of system at this point, which I find really interesting. He can run the half court as well as the fast break offense very well.

I think Knicks need to draft a solid point guard. I mean from this draft, at our position, how many SGs or SF do you think can actually help us? How many of them do things that Jamaal Crawford, Trevor Ariza, Qyntal Woods, Quentin Richardson, Jalen Rose, or even Marbury can't do? We need to be looking for someone that can run and initiate our offense. De Souza looks very raw and like a project. If the Knicks draft him he'll be going to the D-league for sure. Draftexpress called him out for very poor defense so I don't now how that will fly with Brown. I don't think the Knicks should use their 29th pick on him, I just can't see him being successful. The thing about Brandon Rush is that, I can see him getting into the same kind of situation as Trevor Ariza. Especially because he's a very emotional person. If the Knicks trade up to get him I'm not sure how well that will pan out for us. Brandon Roy seems the most likely of any SG's to be drafted to this team. That doesn't mean he's the best fit, (not to say he's not a good fit) but we need to concentrate on getting a point guard that can pickup Larry Brown's system.

Drafting someone like Mardy Collins or Rajon Rondo by moving up makes the most sense for this team, IMO.

11. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    You also forgot to mention his ball handling which I understand is definetely below average for an NBA guard. All I need to know about him is that he's a 6'3" shooting guard(possibly 6'4")and that really isnt acceptable. I generally dont like undersized guards. Their usually defensive liabilities and since were already a defense deficient team I say we pass on him. </div>

Believe me, you won't have to worry about it. If Brown enters the 2006 draft, he won't be available for the Knicks' pick.

Anyway, first of all, he's definitely 6'4", which is not THAT undersized for a shooting guard. Second of all, his handles aren't below average at all. Have you even see him play this year? That's the one area of his game that's improved by leaps and bounds. And it's funny you bring up defense, because Brown is one of the most polished defenders in the Big 10. Lastly, when you have the athleticism, the quickness, and the talent that a player like Brown has, you don't have to worry too much about a few inches here and there. Too much is being made of the fact that he's 6'4". How about the fact that he has nearly a fifty inch vertical leap, is one of the quickest players in college basketball, and has a huge, chisled frame? There's not too much of a difference between Brown and Dwyane Wade.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Paul Davis - A solid big man, he doesnt have as much potential as the other guys I've mentioned so far but he'll be a solid NBA player, He'll be like Chris Mihm but better, if he turns out to be good.</div>

You guys seem like you've never seen these guys play. First of all, Davis is almost a lock for the lottery. Second of all, Chris Mihm? Is that a joke? What, did you get that off nbadraft.net? I'm tired of that site. They're biased and always wrong. If you want a good source, subscribe to ESPN Insider. Third of all, why doesn't Davis has potential? Out of High School he was ranked higher than Amare Sotudamire. Is it because of his age? Who's to say that a player can't improve at the young age of 22? If anything, Davis is one of the most improved players in the nation this season. He's more aggressive, he's developed an outside shot, he's shooting great from the line, and he's making smarter decisions. He's everything you need out of an NBA big man. He's a legit 6-11, he's got range out to the three point line, and he's probably the most fundamentally sound big man in all of college basketball. Most importantly, he shoots 90% from the free-throw line. Whenever you get a center who can shoot free-throws like Steve Nash, you've got a huge asset.

12. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Had to ressurect this thread.

Anyone have anymore ideas? I definitely want to package these picks and get higher... this isn't 2005. Best talent available is definitely what we should do.

13. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

What happend to elitedraft.net?[​IMG]

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting j0se:</div><div class="quote_post">What happend to elitedraft.net?[​IMG]</div>
    I have no idea. The last time they edited it was like last year.

15. Tribute to H2O

No need to package up our picks. There are a few players that we can get late in the first round that can be pretty good players. I still say Rudy Fernandez and Souza for the reasons I listed earlier. Rudy Fernandez is a smart player, plays defense, versatile and clutch. Souza is big, athletic, has good handles and can shoot the trey ball. He has lots of potential. Souza gives us a legitimate small forward with All Star potential who should be able to contribute right away thanks to his shooting ability and Larry Brown will love Fernandez.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired

16. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">No need to package up our picks. There are a few players that we can get late in the first round that can be pretty good players. I still say Rudy Fernandez and Souza for the reasons I listed earlier. Rudy Fernandez is a smart player, plays defense, versatile and clutch. Souza is big, athletic, has good handles and can shoot the trey ball. He has lots of potential. Souza gives us a legitimate small forward with All Star potential who should be able to contribute right away thanks to his shooting ability and Larry Brown will love Fernandez.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired</div>

I agree, I've had my eye on those guys since 2004.

17. el_guasibiri

el_guasibiri JBB JustBBall Member

I just saw an article and says that Larry Brown is interesting in trading the knicks 24 and 29 pick to move up in the lottery to pick Tyrus Thomas!

What do you guys think of Tyrus Thomas on our team?????
    http://celticsblog.net/blog/?p=1583

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I love Tyrus Thomas' game, but unless we get a top 5 pick, we're not getting him. If only that bastard protected our pick, we wouldn't be in the position we're in right now. Whatever though. I think teams want Jamal Crawford if we were going to try and get into the high lottery.

19. Tribute to H2O

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting el_guasibiri:</div><div class="quote_post">I just saw an article and says that Larry Brown is interesting in trading the knicks 24 and 29 pick to move up in the lottery to pick Tyrus Thomas!

What do you guys think of Tyrus Thomas on our team?????
    http://celticsblog.net/blog/?p=1583</div>

Not happening so it doesnt matter what we think of Tyrus Thomas on our team. Tyrus Thomas is probably going to go in the top five and will definetely not drop any further than top ten. The Knicks will be lucky to get a pick in the top twenty let alone a high lottery pick. So as I said before, it's not going to happen.

20. el_guasibiri

el_guasibiri JBB JustBBall Member

I would draft guys like Aaron Gray,Josh Boone and Kevin Pittsnogle
    young big guys so we can get rid of that slopply Jerome James and his big contract.