2008 World Series Thread: Rays-Phillies

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by panthersare#1, Oct 20, 2008.

?

Who will win the World Series

Poll closed Oct 26, 2008.
  1. Rays

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. Phillies

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

The 2008 World Series should be a very exciting series even though it lacks a big market team like Boston, New York, Chicago and LA. The Rays are coming off an exciting Game 7 win which should carry over into the first game of the World Series. Whereas the Phillies are coming off a long rest and should be fresh for the entire season. The problem with the Phillies having all that time off is like the Rockies last year who had lost their momentum going into game one.

I know only a little bit about the Phillies so if there are any phillies fans out there feel free to offer a preview like I will for the Rays.

Just an interesting note the reason for the Postseason being played in Tampa is because of the extra inning all star game which ironically featured Scott Kazmir as the winning pitcher and Brad Lidge as the losing pitcher.

Pitching Match ups:
    Game 1: October 22-Tropicana Field: Scott Kazmir vs Cole Hamels
    This is going to be a very great pitching game with two aces. Kazmir has been inconsistent all year but if his slider is on he will be hard to beat like Game 5 vs the Red Soxs: 2 H 0 ER 6 IP. But Cole Hamels is a hell of a pitcher, this guy is consistent and has a devastating changeup. He is 3-0 with a 1.23 ERA. Cole Hamels right now is a better pitcher but the wild card will be the lefty on lefty matchup of Kazmir vs Howard and Utley.

Game 2: October 23- Tropicana Field: James Shields vs Brent Myers
    James Shields is an ace, he always seems to have a good game and keep the rays in the game. 92-94 mph fastball, great changeup to get out of the innings, he can also go the distance and only had 20 BB on the season, there was a very tight strike zone in Game 6 thats why he had 3 or 4 BB then. Myers is 10-14 on the season with a 4.55 ERA and in the postseason 2-0 5.25 ERA. I like Shields in this matchup, he is really good at home and I think will have a solid game, Myers seems 50-50 on how he will do.

Game 3: October 25th- Citizens Bank Park: Jamie Moyer vs Matt Garza
    Matt Garza is the Rays third Ace and has the most dominate pitches, Won Game 3 and Game 7 in the ALCS, and pitched amazing in an elimination game allowing 2 hits in 7 innings 115 pitches. He has some really good pitches right now and his curveball was so good in game 7. Jamie Moyer had a great regular season but is struggling mightly in the postseason 0-2 11+ ERA. 1.1 IP and 6 ER in his last start. I believe Matt Garza is just too good right now and Moyer is struggling.

Game 4: October 26- Citizens Bank Park: Joe Blanton vs Andy Sonnanstine
    Andy Sonnanstine statistically with a small sample is the Rays best batter. He is hitting .400 with a .550 OBP. Andy Sonnanstine is so good because teams have to go against 3 powerful aces and then sonnanstine comes with his 88 mph fastball and great breaking pitches and different arm slots to put the hitters to sleep. He relies heavily on the defense, but if they are solid he typically wins. Joe Blanton came over in the A's trade and was 9-12 with a 4.69 era in the regular season and in the postseason 1-0 with a 3.27 ERA. This one is 50-50.

The phillies do have an almost automatic closer in Brad Lidge so they win the closer position with Grant Balfour and David Price sharing the closing role.

2. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    Go Phillies!!

3. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

Go Rays, I hate the Phillies.

4. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

I'm a Phillies fan, but not a very big baseball fan in general. I've always rooted for the Phillies, but never really watched baseball because I never got into it. I thought it was boring. But this postseason run by the Phillies has changed my mind. Quite honestly, I don't know jack about the Rays except that they just had their best season in franchise history. The only player I know off of the Rays is Evan Longoria (Upton???), so yeah, my knowledge about them is limited. But based off of what I've heard, the Rays are supposedly a better team, so I'm guessing the Phillies are the underdogs, which is no big deal for me because I've been there done that.

As for the Phils, Hamels will have to continue pitching his hot stuff, and when he pitches, we must make sure we win the game because the pitching sort of drops down from there. Myers is a decent pitcher but inconsistent. I admit I don't know that much about Moyer or Blaton, but I know they're decent, nothing special. Offensively, Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard especially have to heat up if they wanna win this thing.

I'm kinda stacked with homework this week so I dunno how much I'll be paying attention to these games, but I'm really hoping Philadelphia can finally win their championship. But if the Rays win, I won't be too disappointed. I kinda know their story and I feel good for all the true Tampa Bay fans out there. I'd rather lose to Tampa than another Boston team, so yeah, may the best team win.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'm rooting for the Rays. They've been the "feel good" story in sports this year, and I think it's tough to root against them at this point. Plus, I love their pitching, and their offense is outstanding.

6. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I'm going for the Rays as well. It looked like the Red Sox would come back and win the series after Game 5 but Garza put in a phenomenal performance in Game 7. David Price coming in and shutting the door also has to work wonders for his confidence in the World Series. Every player on the Rays is hitting their stride at the right time, which is a great sign.

7. Really Lost One

3 more wins...

8. larrybird33celticsKGMN

larrybird33celticsKGMN New Member

Student
    Hamels is stud. Phillies have a solid core. I'd be really surprised to see them win, though. The AL is clearly better than the NL, as shown every year in Interleague Play. The Phillies are really hot right now, and sometimes that's all it takes. I still think the Rays will pull it out.

9. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Rays have been my second team since Tino was there. Go Rays!

10. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

It going to be really interesting to see Jamie Moyer is his 08 postseason stuff where he has a 10+ ERA or his regular season stuff (better ERA than Matt Garza). Last game he only made it an inning and a third which really hurt the bullpen, I think the Rays will get to him and Garza will pitch a great game. Well even a great pitching performance by Moyer can be taken away if the Phillies continue to suck with RISP.

I think the Rays win the series 4-2 with Hamel getting both wins.

11. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

This game 3 umpire has a really wide strike zone, fox showed a pitch that never came 2 inches from the side of the plate and was called a strike for jamie moyer.

12. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

C'mon Rays!

13. Really Lost One

Dude get off the wagon.

Phillies going all the way. Carlos Ruiz's hit last night was amazing. I can't believe it turned out to be a game winner. I was thinking out for sure...

14. Mamba

That is because you don't know much about baseball.

15. Mamba

Mental errors are killing the Rays right now.

16. Mamba

Actually, the Rays just got screwed major by the umps. Terrible missed call. That was fucking pathetic. How the hell do you miss that when it is right in front of you?

17. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Rollins was a foot and a half from 3rd base when Longoria tagged him. And it led to 1 runs, which is big because 3 games have been decided by 4 runs. This is why we should have instant replay on those type of calls.

18. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

I told you guys that Sonnanstine could hit, right now he is our best offensive player in the game.

19. Mamba

Crawford brings the Rays within 1.

20. Mamba

The game should be tied if that idiot ump didn't miss that blatant call.