2020 Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Here are Marks’ contract predictions as a guide. He does note that these estimates are for multi year deals, and that guys could certainly get more on one year pacts.

FB97EECB-4D44-4258-9E83-B8A220A18340.jpeg 763F184D-8939-48BE-84BB-CAA2AD00F167.jpeg F8DB0125-EFD4-4C2E-A695-3342CCDDDD1C.jpeg 26CE6616-3890-4F25-A4E7-C5BF6225BFE2.jpeg 58629D11-E44A-4ADE-ACFB-49EA6FA842E2.jpeg

illmatic99, handiman and RR7 like this.
  2. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

This is a terrible FA class. There's not many players I'm even that interested in. However, I wouldn't mind the following players at the projected salary listed:

PG: (Not that Olshey would actually bring in a real backup PG). Portland could really use a good backup.
    - Jeff Teague -> Perfect for the role. However, Portland probably has bigger holes to plug with the MLE money.
    - Evan Turner -> He'd be good as a vet min player (with a small role).... but he's NOT a PG.

SG:
    - Shaq Harrison -> I view him more as a PG. He's been solid in a limited role - which could be a good value move.

SF:
    - Danilo Gallinari -> More than the MLE, but if we can get him for the MLE - you do it.
    - Derrick Jones -> He's going to get more than $4-6M. He's a nice plug & play type player.
    - Josh Jackson -> Might be an interesting reclamation project player... but I'd pass.

PF:
    - Giles -> He's still young and has some 'potential' still.

C:
    - Noel -> Good fit for a backup C role player.

3. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Chris Boucher.

I'm sure Terry Stotts is salivating at the prospect of getting Anthony Tolliver again.

4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t remember the last free agent Olshey signed I was genuinely pumped about. Maybe Hood re-signing? It feels like it’s always cautious optimism at best. I’m more excited about the draft, but I still hope he signs a Millsap or a younger guy like Giles/Noel. The dream is Ibaka.

5. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Not a lot of top tier talent, but if those contract estimates are at all accurate, there's tons of value to be found in vets coming off big contracts and no longer looked upon in that light. (Ahem, Evan Turner, Mo Harkless, Meyers Leonard, Nic Batum...)

6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Please NO Nerlens. Giles i feel will stay in Sactown. Ibaka is a nice player but i don't see him leaving Toronto. Harrell is a real nice pick up, but i don't see him leaving either. I think Crowder would be a real nice pickup, and is more realistic. Along with re-signing Melo, and keeping Trevor Ariza. A healthy Blazers team contends in my opinion. Gallo, or Hayward, would be nice.

42N8Bounce likes this.
  7. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

Given how well Dragic and Grant played in the bubble, they are no longer feasible options with the MLE.

I'd make Jae Crowder the No. 1 option to go after ... full 4-year MLE (vs. 1 large lump sum with Miami) and a starting role in Portland.

It would also allow Portland to explore packaging Ariza and Collins for the final starter (Lillard, McCollum, Crowder, Nurkic) or they could keep Ariza have very versatile starting frontcourt.

RR7 likes this.
  8. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

ehizzy3 and TBpup like this.
  9. pougie

pougie Active Member

Wow, if those contract predictions are at all remotely correct, Christian Wood could be had for only $10-12m?? He’s still young and has shown flashes and is also unrestricted. If we could convince him to sign, we could offer to do a sign-and-trade where we give Detroit Ariza’s $13.8m contract, Simons ($1.8m), #46, and a lotto-protected 2021 pick. That would allow the Blazers to offer Wood close to $15m a year. Adding Hezonja would allow close to $16.5m.

And realistically, if we drafted one of Bey, Neismith, or Smith, our bench should be deep and full of shooting with Trent and Hood on the bench as well. This may be just me, but I would not mind bringing Turner back for the minimum to be our backup PG. I’d bring in Crowder on the full MLE. That would push Collins to the bench where he could be a backup C/PF rather than a starting PF. I’d also probably re-sign Gabriel for the amount Trent has right now.

We would be going into the season with

Dame/CJ/Crowder/Wood/Nurkic Turner/Trent/Hood/TPE/Collins /Little/#16//Gabriel

I like this team a lot. I like Carroll or Green as SF/PF options if they would come for the vet min and maybe Napier as a vet min 3rd-string.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I would target Gallo at nontax MLE and Harkless for BAE. Best PG on vet minimum deal and Kanter in trade.

Dame ? Simons
    CJ Trent Hood
    Ariza Harkless Hoard
    Gallo Collins Little
    Nurk Kanter Gabriel

Melo doesn't make the cut. We trade the pick for a future 1st or drop one of Gabriel/Hoard

11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Jackson would fit Olsheys habit of going after former top prospects/recruits.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/11/2/21542023/nba-free-agents-preview-offseason-contracts

I’ll be honest: I have no idea what to make of Jackson.

The fourth overall pick in the 2017 draft washed out of Phoenix, losing his spot on the wing to 2018 draftee Mikal Bridges, and falling out of favor entirely after multiple off-court incidents. After the Suns sent Jackson to the Grizzlies with De’Anthony Melton to carve out the cap space to sign Ricky Rubio, he had to climb the ladder in Memphis all the way up from the bottom rung. To his credit, he did it, starting in the G League, proving he could produce there, and earning a call-up only after injuries had battered the Grizzlies’ rotation.

Jackson didn’t leap off the page once he got his second chance, but he didcontribute, averaging 10.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.1 steals in 20.7 minutes per game over his final 17 appearances before the hiatus. His jumper remains a work in progress, but Jackson’s willingness to fire from deep and ability to slash to the hoop paid dividends in Memphis: The Grizz outscored opponents by 4.1 points per 100 possessions in his minutes.

And then the league shut down for four months, and Jackson barely played for Memphis in the bubble, and now we’re left with a great big shrug emoji. He’s not a great 3-point shooter, but he’s a willing one (nearly nine attempts per 100 possessions with the Grizz) who shot 38.2 percent from deep in the G League. He’s not a great ball handler, but he can run a pick-and-roll and the fast break. He’s not a great defender, but at 6-foot-8 and 207 pounds, he’s got the size to guard multiple positions, and a knack for using his quickness and 6-foot-10 wingspan to create turnovers. And he’s still less than four years removed from being a top-five pick.

Twenty-two games of decent rotation play for an injury-plagued team probably isn’t enough to earn a significant multiyear commitment. After how things fell apart in Phoenix, he’ll probably have to accept another cheap prove-it deal before he gets a longer look. But if he can turn the flashes he showed in Memphis into sustained production, he could wind up being a really nice buy-low option for teams in need of an injection of athleticism and adrenaline on the wing.

TBpup and PtldPlatypus like this.
  12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Stein thinks free agency will start two or three days after the draft. Since the draft is on a Wednesday, that week is gonna end with a bang.

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Open it next week LFG

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

looks like the trade moratorium will be lifted about a week before the draft. Wonder if they start free agency then as well.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  15. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I think it would be interesting to see how having free agency BEFORE the draft may change how teams make their plans.

16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    @Scalma ... player like Josh Jackson is right up Neil's alley. Certainly still room to grow and should come pretty inexpensively, expecially this off-season.

Wizard Mentor and Scalma like this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

only concern might be his off court stuff, some of which continued in Memphis. Olshey doesn’t really play that game, don’t remember the last time he brought in someone that wasn’t a law abiding citizeeeen

hoopsjock, TBpup and Wizard Mentor like this.
  18. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

My prediction is some role player that helps us get the 6th seed

19. Zach Collins Enthusiast

Zach Collins Enthusiast Bored

None
    Only one name on that list: Robin. Lopez.

20. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

KD looking like 50 lol. Shit i'm 26 and i'm starting to lose my hair too :(

Screenshot_20201106-230234_Twitter.jpg