Event 2021 Play-in Tourney

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KSF-ERIC, Nov 21, 2020.

1. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any comments about the announced tourney next season. Only 6 teams are guaranteed playoff spots in the highly competitive West. But FOUR more will have a chance. This eliminates some tanking (and resting stars) AND makes the battle for 6th seed a bloody one. In case you didn't know. The 7th & 8th placed teams play each other for the 7 seed. Then the loser plays the winner of 9 vs 10 for the 8 seed. This will be fascinating. For instance, last season the 34-39 Blazers would've played the 43-32 Mavericks for the 7th seed. ONE game to make up an 8 game gap!

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-announces-structure-and-format-for-2020-21-season

2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I like the change.

They could have added a games ahead condition, so if the 7th seed is ahead of 10th by let's say 15 games then the 7th seed is in 10th out and only playin is for 8v9. I'm fine with keeping it simpler as they have done though.

One more change I would like to see is have teams pick opponents. So 1 seed picks from playin winners or 5, 6. Then 2 seed picks. Then 3 seed. Then 4 plays whoever is left.

Currently you could get a scenario where let's say the Lakers go 0-12 to start then kick ass after and get in as the 10th seed. The 1 seed is penalized with having to play a potentially very strong "8" seed.

Also there are times teams basically tank the final few games to drop to the 4th seed as its easier than being the 3rd seed.

Selecting opponents fixes both of those.

It also adds a storyline to underdogs. "You wanted to play us and now we're beating you"

3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    That would suck for any team that had that much of a lead on the #8 seed. Imagine if that was Portland sitting at #7 with an 8 game lead and Dame rolled his ankle in the 2nd half causing the Blazers to lose by 1 point. Then he is unavailable for the next game which they lose at the buzzer.

He could have been back by the 1st round of the Playoffs, but they are out in 2 days when they finished (let's say) with a 10 game lead over the #10 team that is not in the Playoffs.

4. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Sure that could happen. But we know that's the danger of only being in the 7th seed throughout the season.

I can't think of many 7th seeds that were favorites to win in the first round.

I can think of many times teams give up through the year because 8th is out of reach. Only needing to get up to 10th makes the last part of the NBA season much more interesting for likely a half dozen teams which is great!

Also, having "playoff" intensity games for these teams could be a big bonus to young teams. Think of the 41 41 Blazers with Roy. The next year we were so young and inexperience we didn't know how to handle the playoffs yet. Now more teams will get that experience a year early, the next season playoffs they could be ready to compete in a series.

KSF-ERIC likes this.
  5. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Some of me hates this because there is a chance that teams 2-7 are all bunched up within a few games of each other and then 8-10 are like ten games back from 7. Then 7 doesn't get rewarded for their great season. The rest of me thinks, "Just be sixth or better." It's really that simple. This gives more teams something to play for for longer so it will increase end of season competition. Overall it's a good idea, maybe I feel that way because I like our chances of being the third, fourth or fifth seed as long as we're healthy.

KSF-ERIC and TBpup like this.