4* CB Devian Shelton commits to Beavs

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by tlongII, Dec 24, 2011.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Rivals rates him as the 24th best cornerback coming out. Good get. We should have a couple of lockdown corners now with him and Cleveland Wallace.

2. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    I am surprised of his leaping ability too, as it catches you off guard. He has steady speed with long strides.

3. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    I'm not sold on Shelton. If you look at his stats, he had an error reported on his first game which elevated his average stats. A good lockdown corner should def have more INTS. http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/QU_l-63nnUy15DRSbwhLcg/football-fall-10/stats-devian-shelton.htm

Scout has him with 3* at #92. Espn grade 74 with 2*. He reports a 2.5 GPA and 800 SAT.

I def like Wallace and see more upside there. I think the reason Scout and ESPN grade Shelton lower is due to his stats and strength. Shelton squats 250 with a 36 vertical. For a benchmark, Oregon verbals Amoako and Daniels are CB/S, have similar builds, similar verticals (I believe more INTS on the season) but both squat well over 300#'s. Lockdown corners need strength to jam and they need strength to get out of the physical WR blocks. I don't see Shelton doing so well at the Pac level - but, I openly admit, I've never seen him play in person and am basing this off stat comps, rankings and video.

4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'll trust Rivals rankings over Scout or ESPN any day. Rivals updates the rankings based on in season play much more frequently than Scout and especially ESPN. ESPN ratings are basically worthless.

5. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    They are all basically a starting point and subjective. I prefer Scout, which certainly has downfalls. But, at times I would agree with you and that is why I use all three and weigh them against each other.

In my humble opinion, the 4* is elevated to his actual value when no elite programs offered him. If I had to guess, I'd say two and a half to three would be accurate based on both Arizona schools, Washington State, New Mexico, San Diego, Idaho, S, Method, etc. offering him. You normally see true 4* lockdown corners with good speed, leaping, lockdown ability getting more attention from higher tier schools.

Regardless, he's going to need to work on his grades, SAT score and lower body strength.

I wish him luck!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  6. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
  7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Yah and we lost Wallace to UW too. These two were the biggest disappointments of the day.