4 or 5-game trip?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by handiman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Why is everyone so confused on how many games are in this road trip? One such example:

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2008/11/oden_outlaw_emerge_for_blazers.html

I've seen it at least two or three other places, too, including TV coverage. One was particularly confused, talking about there being two 5-game trips this month (I assume one being the Nov-Dec overlap) and calling the current trip a 4-gamer in the same breath.

@ Orlando
    @ Miami
    @ New Orleans
    @ Minnesota
    @ Golden State

That sure looks like 5 games to me... So what if there's two days in between Minnesota and Golden State, with the opportunity to return home briefly - that's still part of the road trip as far as the home and away schedule is concerned. One person reports it and everyone else runs with the same info without checking the schedule...

2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Because the team came home last night and don't leave to the Bay until late tomorrow afternoon.

They have a day off at home and get to sleep in their own beds.

3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

The frustrating part of it is that the next 4 games will be tougher IMO than the last 4. If they can somehow split the next 4 games I will be very happy.
    Looking at the schedule before the season I thought they would be 5-9 or 6-8 after 14 games.

4. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I think we can realistically go 3-1 in the next four (@ GS, Chicago, @ Sac, @ Pho). Golden State is tough but they're not the same team they have been, they have lost to Memphis twice and Sacramento the past few weeks.

Chicago at home should be a victory. Sacramento, we have beaten up on. Phoenix though I think will be a loss, we never win there for some reason.
    I'd be OK with a split I guess, 1-3 would be disappointing.

5. handiman

It's still a road game if the Lakers play at the Clippers, regardless of who's beds they sleep in...

A road trip is not interrupted unless there is a home game in between.

6. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    I even read an article in the Oregonian calling it a three game road trip.

7. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I think there's a point-of-view issue here. From the point of view of those doing the traveling, this may indeed look like a 4 game trip, followed by a 1 game trip.

From the fan perspective, it is 5 straight away games, hence a five game road trip.

Road trip used to mean, literally, a trip by road. Teams never take road trips anymore.

barfo

8. handiman

The people covering the team should be reporting from the fan perspective, since that is what the media (print and TV) is geared toward. Other teams' media repeats what the local media reports... Being technically incorrect just perpetuates gibberish.

9. barfo

I agree that reporting should be from the fan perspective. However, if you want them to be technically correct, they wouldn't call it a road trip at all. They'd say "five consecutive away games" or some such.

barfo

10. handiman

"On the road" could refer to the team bus from the hotel to the stadium, or the plane touching down on tarmac with striped lines as a road... I don't see that part as misleading at all.

11. THE HCP

I'm trying to figure why this is making you so mad. From the player's perspective and people who travel with a team, it was a 4 game road trip trust me. Anytime you are not traveling,riding the team bus or sleeping in a hotel, you are at home.

12. handiman

I'm not mad about it, I'm just sayin'... Why report something incorrectly just because that's the way the people traveling see it? They're not the ones watching the games on TV (where it's being misreported). Call it a 6-day road trip if all you care about is the time away from home. Fact of the matter is, 5 straight games are being played on the road.

13. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Crap, there's two minutes of my life I'll never get back. I need to learn to be more careful which threads I click on.

14. dreamcloud

dreamcloud Well-Known Member

One thing I noticed: How many fucking back to backs do they need to give us in such a short span of time? FFS.

We JUST completed a back to back set (NOH/MIN)

Now our next two games are another back to back set (GSW/CHI)

Then after that, our next games are YET another set of back to backs (SAC/PHX)

*sigh* And I wanted to see Oden be rested before having to go up against PHX/Shaq

15. handiman

Sorry if it seems like a waste of time to some people... I guess discussing trades that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of happening is much more important. Far be it for the team to care if people have to double check the schedule to make sure their copy isn't erroneous (my response and those of several others I talked to, after hearing the number of games on the road trip did not match the schedule). I figured the Golden State game must've been changed...

16. THE HCP

Amen my brother!

17. Nate4Prez

Nate4Prez . . . .

Thats just how the NBA schedule works, no different for any other team in the NBA.

# of Back to Backs by Month:
    Nov: 3
    Dec: 3
    Jan: 1
    Feb: 2
    March: 3
    April: 2 (only play half the month)

18. barfo

Well, then, driving from their homes in L.O. or wherever to the Rose Garden would qualify as a road trip.

barfo