5 sets of back-to-back games in March

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Greyvtrayn, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

That's brutal. Didn't look to see what other teams have but wow...the scheduling needs to be revamped. I'm sure the World Cup and bye week had something to do with it. Either way, too many back to back games at the end of the season.

2. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

NHL likes to call it................the survival of the fittest.

3. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Not enough going on either end of the ice, and the failure to convert odd man chances is really hurting them. This is looking like a bad matchup in the playoffs if it happens. Boston might be the only team they'd be slight favorites over. They're getting dominated in their own zone..badly.

4. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

^^^^^Rangers have a long history on being on the losing end when playing Montreal.........it's of historical proportions! sick & tired
    of this mismatch/ match up.

5. Ranger71

They may pick it up offensively but the defense just puts them on their heels too long.

6. Rangers94

Rangers94 Well-Known Member

That first goal was just a weird, unfortunate bounce. Second goal was ALL on Hank for playing that puck and causing the turnover. Third goal it looked like Hank had been hit in the head by a stick on the previous play in the crease and he was still out of it when Montreal came back into the zone a few minutes later.

7. Ranger71

They rarely beat MTL anyway but i just see some bad warning signs on both ends of the ice, despite their record.

8. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

MTL is an example of a team that got better at the deadline. Rangers players just can't be consistent with each other outside of Hayes-Miller-Grabner

9. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

They definitely got tougher. If we see them in the playoffs Ott and King are going to be tough to deal with.

10. Ranger71

I mean there could be some coasting going on plus they're missing some people but too many players aren't contributing enough and the special teams are really dipping. Just hard to see them beating mtl and Price in a series. Even Ottawa would be very tough. Who knows. Wouldn't be the worst thing to lose early this year.

11. strudwickisthebest

I'm all for dumping Nash at the end of the season.. The guy just isn't a superstar anymore

12. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Have said it for almost 2 years. Team is soft. Period. Not built for the playoffs. AV is a thickhead. Stepan and Nash need to be gone by the start of next year.

13. Ranger71

April 22nd team golf outing at Bethpage.

14. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Team had a bad week, a bad 4 games. I am not surprised, I actually said last week I could see a lull coming considering how well we played for a while.

With that said, big picture, hard not to be concerned with the way the team plays. I actually think Gorton let them down at the trade DL.

The face-offs are killing this team. I am now fully on board with that. Their possession #'s get destroyed because they lose FO after FO. And it leads to goals directly. Happened last night, and has happened a lot recently. Why not deal for a guy like Ott? 58% on FO's with the Wings this season.

We do need some size and grit on upfront. Why not try and deal for King. SURE he doesn't have the speed we like, but who cares. Throw him on a 4th line with Ott and have a grind line. You need that.

I like what Montreal did at the DL. Small moves for cheap prices, and they improved their depth and toughness, needs in the playoffs. With their "lesser" moves I clearly think they improved for a playoff run.

In the Atlantic this team could definitely win a round or two for sure. BUT they also clearly could lose round 1 to Montreal. That bracket is a tossup IMO. All of the 4 teams that end up in the bracket can win the bracket and I wouldn't be at all surprised.

But I will say, it is hard to watch the past 4 games and truly think this team can make a run in the playoffs. Special teams struggling, O not producing again as we get closer to the playoffs and the games get tighter, don't have any real grit and size with some bite, cannot win face-offs, it is a pretty long list right now. Difficult to be hopeful.

Being honest, it is hard to see this team beating Montreal round 1, but with that said Montreal is no world beater and we can do it, just harder to see it happening now given their adds and our "concerns".

15. RangersFan

One comment looking forward, I thought it would come this past summer, but they couldn't do anything with Nash/Girardi/Staal. I do think for sure it happens this summer if we are knocked out in round 1 or 2 again.

G will be bought out this summer. I don't see anyway he is back unless Staal accepts a deal and is traded instead.

Nash, with only one year left, will be a prime candidate to get dealt as well. I can see some team biting on him knowing it is one year only and he can add to a team that is close IF they have the cap space.

So I was thinking it this past off-season, but it wasn't able to be done, but this off-season I think we'll see the next phase of the rebuild and some names we are used to seeing will be gone. Starts with 2 of the 3 I mentioned needing to be out of here. And now after another season, one year left for Nash and G's buyout making more sense now, I think it will happen unless Gorton simply cannot find anyone to take Nash or even Staal.

16. RangersFan

And now the Rangers called up Glass and Kampfer. Obviously Glass called up for some toughness. Going to what I wrote earlier, why not deal a later pick or mid prospect for Ott or King or someone like that instead of calling up useless Glass. First time I am getting on Gorton a little.

Also shows we need to get through the next week or 2 and get healthy again. Klein and G still out, and not due back this week. Hopefully both back next week. Skjei lost 5 pounds with the flu late this week. Grabner we'll see when he comes back this week hopefully. Fast obviously out another 2 weeks or so.

Will be interesting to see who sits for Glass, I would assume Puempel.

Tough time, but all teams have injuries now, so we need to battle through it.

We needed some toughness, but Glass isn't the answer. Mistake by Gorton at the DL.

17. Ranger71

They better not send PB back down, he's arguably the best forward on the team right now and sees plays develop better than anyone. If only they had 2 more of him.

18. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Stepan absolutely can't be on this team at the start of next year. No way. Don't care what they have to do to trade him. On a fringe team or rebuilding team he could be an asset as a 50 point, defensive center making 6.5. Here, he's a liability. He isn't consistent offensively and doesn't fit thickhead AV's system.

Honestly, I would be ecstatic if Nash and Stepan were both gone via trade. I would then protect Grabner and Lindberg. In those deals I would try to obtain as many picks and NHL ready prospects as possible. I like Lindberg on the 4th line. Rangers need a true third line center. Not Stepan. A guy who is physical, can win draws, put up 35-40 points and will be affordable.

19. Ranger71

Even if they have to eat 2m on Nash, if it gets them back a late 2nd and solid prospect and frees up another 4m. With Stepan it will be more interesting to see if that's their angle on him.

20. strudwickisthebest

The team is so soft it's scary. Not an ounce of toughness. Ott was able to do what he wanted. Gallagher trips lundqvist and Staal wrestles him. Glass sucks but atleast the guy can put an end to guys like Ott, Marchand running around doing what they want. The team showed their true identity when they all skated by Cody Eakin after he destroyed Henrik