8 Straight Wins

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><span id="_ctl0_ContentPlaceHolder1_ArTxt">Unfortunately, there are times when a simple recap doesn't do justice to the actual game that was played. This is one of those times. To properly appreciate the 48 minute battle that the Trail Blazers went through to knock off the New Orleans Hornets, the sound man needs to crank a little heavy metal...

Like "Song 2" by Blur.

"It wasn't easy..."

At halftime, the Hornets led 39 - 37. It was the first time in recent memory that these young Trail Blazers had been behind. They shot just 34.1% from the floor for the first 24 minutes and, more importantly, they were being annihilated on the glass. Forwards Martell Webster, James Jones and Travis Outlaw were a combined 3 for 19 as the Trail Blazers headed into the locker room and if it weren't for Raef LaFrentz's 8 rebounds, Portland would've trailed 26 - 9 in total rebounds.

"But nothing is, no..."

On a night where LaMarcus Aldridge was out with plantar fascitis and the normally sweet shooting Trail Blazers were struggling to find easy baskets, the game became little more than a 'knock-down, drag 'em out' heavyweight fight.

Travis Outlaw, who finished the game 1 for 12 from the field, found ways to get to the free throw line. Steve Blake, who spent most of the game chasing point guard Chris Paul, stretched the New Orleans defense late in the second half and Martell Webster connected on two unconventional three-point attempts.

Webster's first three-pointer of the third quarter clanked long, but he was fouled on the shot and awarded three free throws of which he made two. On his second attempt from range, Webster was fouled again but this time, he connected on the shot and the damage was done.

Webster's 13 points was remarkably the second highest total of any Trail Blazer, but it was enough to keep the Trail Blazers close until former Rookie of the Year and back-to-back Western Conference Player of the Week Brandon Roy was able to take over.

"WooHoo!/ Well I feel heavy metal/ Whoo Hoo!"

In some ways, these Trail Blazer games are becoming anti-climactic. For three quarters, we watch as Roy creates opportunities and guides the offense with the steady hand of a 10-year veteran, and then... PRESTO! He becomes Roy Wonder, the superhero who can jump higher than the tallest skyscraper, is stronger than a locomotive, and can absolutely dictate the outcome of a basketball game if it is close during crunch-time.

Roy finished with a game-high 24 points and tied with Chris Paul at a game-high 8 assists. For good measure, Roy also threw in 3 rebounds and 2 steals.

After the game, Roy explained &ldquo;I was trying to pace myself. We won a big game last night (in Denver). Once the team got aggressive (in the second half), the guys told me to be aggressive and take over. That&rsquo;s what I did."

Roy's aggressiveness helped the Trail Blazers sustain a 4-point lead heading into the fourth quarter and, eventually, the Trail Blazers turned what had been a close game into a 12-point victory.</div></span></p>

<span id="_ctl0_ContentPlaceHolder1_ArTxt">Source: 750 KXL</span></p>

2. ToddMacCulloch11

ToddMacCulloch11 Who me?

It's a pretty impressive run they've been on, especially without Aldridge. And now they are only 1 1/2 back in their divisionwitha game against the Nuggets coming up.</p>

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Imagine if they had Oden healthy.</p>

(can't wait for next season)</p>

4. pegs

pegs My future wife.

This team is crazy...with Roy, Outlaw, and pretty much everyone just playing good basketball. Never thought I'd see an 8 game win streak from this team. MacMillan must be doing something right.</p>

5. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
    I wish I was born in Portland, this is the dominant team of the future right here.