9/7/06 Steelers 28 Dolphins 17

Discussion in 'AFC North' started by DolfanDale, Sep 7, 2006.

1. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Congrats Steelerfans! The Steelers played tough. Charlie Batch deserves a game ball. I wasn't happy about the refs not seeing the challange flag and I may vent in another thread, but that shouldn't take away from your victory. Good game, guys!

2. Pack Attack

Pack Attack The KISS Army

I was wrong about Batch. I forgot...he's not a Lion anymore! [​IMG]

Congrats to the Steelers fans.

3. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

well if the did overturn the call then the Steelers would have had it on the 1 or 2 yard line if i'm not mistaken so i mean they most likely would have scored anyway but i'll never say never because of that fumble by Batch after that 82 yard drive. Good game by both pretty equal teams but i think the Steelers deserved to win

4. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J-E-T-S 1083)</div><div class='quotemain'>well if the did overturn the call then the Steelers would have had it on the 1 or 2 yard line if i'm not mistaken so i mean they most likely would have scored anyway but i'll never say never because of that fumble by Batch after that 82 yard drive. Good game by both pretty equal teams but i think the Steelers deserved to win</div>
    I would have to see the tape again before giving the Steelers the ball. If Miller fumbled before he was down or out of bounds, then the football would have gone to the Dolphins because the fumble went through the endzone. That may not have mattered the way Culpepper threw the football in the 4th quarter. I agree though that the Steelers deserved to win.

5. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Like I just typed in the "Key to Thursdays game IMO" thread http://www.nfl-forums.com/forums/miami-dol...3.html#msg66560

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Better team won.

I honestly don't know that challenging Heath Miller's TD would have affected anything. Nick could have made a better throw and the offical could've been a bit more aware.

The pick run back for 6 was icing on the cake. Daunte was playing w/ fire a few times and he got burned. DC did not play any worse than Feidler, Lucas, Feeley, or Griese.

I predicted Miami would win 10 this yr & stand by it. I did not think they'd win tonight.

Phins secondary needs work. OL is okay. All the delayed blitzes on D blew up in Miami's face.

Let me state; I'm disappointed that Miami lost but no more than any of you if your fave team lost. I can't control what happened so why worry. I might sweat it if Wanny were still in charge.

In fact, that's why they lost the vanilla one was there. Yeah. That's it. That's the ticket! ROFL.</div>

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Im mildly disappointed....and encouraged....6 minutes left, the Dolphins are leading and have the Steelers pinned back, so they played with them until that point....Im disappointed a mental mistake turned into an 84 yard completion, and more disappointed that the refs made it an 87 yard TD and missed a challenge flag....both teams played well enough to win, but the Steelers playmakes made the plays in the end....its not the end of the world, its just week 1, but Jets fans can flame me up, because when the Redskins beat the Jets on the opening thursday a few years ago, I took great pleasure in stating the Jets had the worst record in the league....flame away....

7. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wasn't happy about the refs not seeing the challange flag and I may vent in another thread, but that shouldn't take away from your victory. Good game, guys!</div>
    Maybe if Saban didn't throw the flag like a sissy they would have seen it - I've never seen such a timid challenge before! Regardless, it was probably 6 for the Steelers.

Watch out Dolphin fans - Culpepper can spiral. He fell victim to his biggest enemy tonight - he tried to do too much. The result was one pick after another and passes that seemed to have no receiver. In the past this has often lead to a horrible downward spiral...

8. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Watch out Dolphin fans - Culpepper can spiral. He fell victim to his biggest enemy tonight - he tried to do too much. The result was one pick after another and passes that seemed to have no receiver. In the past this has often lead to a horrible downward spiral...</div>
    Dont think Im not aware of it and dont fear it....Ive seen it before and he did freak out once things started going wrong....I guess thats always been the knock on him, but I have to think this coaching staff can reel that aspect in....and if they cant, then there will times when he just simple implodes....

9. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

Miami's secondary didn't look too hot, what happened to Schulters? I thought he was still on the roster. Why isn't Yeramiah Bell Starting? Why is Reynaldo Hill Starting?

10. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

I thought both teams should come out of this game with a lot of positives. Even though the going was tough, I felt the Dolphins abandoned the running game a little too soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DolfanDale)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wasn't happy about the refs not seeing the challange flag and I may vent in another thread, but that shouldn't take away from your victory. Good game, guys!</div>
    I have referee'd football games before, so I can respect what they have to do. Thus, I usually don't rag on the refs too bad, even when they screw up against my team. However, the challenge aside, I was disappointed they missed some pretty obvious calls. They weren't one-sided and probably didn't affect the game, but I was disappointed none-the-less.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Watch out Dolphin fans - Culpepper can spiral. He fell victim to his biggest enemy tonight - he tried to do too much.</div>
    Like I said, they should have continued to milk every yard out of the running game. That's the key.

11. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Watch out Dolphin fans - Culpepper can spiral. He fell victim to his biggest enemy tonight - he tried to do too much. The result was one pick after another and passes that seemed to have no receiver. In the past this has often lead to a horrible downward spiral...</div>
    Dont think Im not aware of it and dont fear it....Ive seen it before and he did freak out once things started going wrong....I guess thats always been the knock on him, but I have to think this coaching staff can reel that aspect in....and if they cant, then there will times when he just simple implodes....</div>
    Previously, I wrote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Daunte was playing w/ fire a few times and he got burned. DC did not play any worse than Feidler, Lucas, Feeley, or Griese.</div>
    Now that you mention it, VF, Daunte did look somewhat like he was trying to do too much. I share beef's thoughts about Nick, Daunte, and <u> the process not the results</u>

12. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Okay, Saban didn't throw the flag far enough. I guess we need to start a coaching combine so that teams can see what kind of arms head coaches have before hiring them. It may have been a sissy throw, but he threw it aggressively at an official who is to say that official wouldn't have hit him with a penalty or kicked him out of the game. The officials all have their assignments to make sure that they see every part of the game, so who has the responsibility of watching the head coach to see if he's going to throw a challange flag? Michaels said the league did away with the buzzers because there were too many malfunctions. Sounds to me like they need to fire whatever company was handling that and hire another one. I can't believe that the NFL can't get a decent buzzer for their coaches. This is something the NFL needs to fix. I don't believe having head coaches run onto the field is the right answer though it should be entertaining when a coach loses his cool and there's an incident.

13. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

C'mon - that was the most indecisive throw outside of a a Joey Harrington pass. :whistle: He doesn't have to be aggressive, but he can't accidentally 'drop' the flag on the field like a woman trying to get the attention of a man she wants to notice her.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dont think Im not aware of it and dont fear it....Ive seen it before and he did freak out once things started going wrong....I guess thats always been the knock on him, but I have to think this coaching staff can reel that aspect in....and if they cant, then there will times when he just simple implodes....</div>
    This could be a problem for the first few games. DC wants to prove to the league that he was worth more than a 2nd rounder and that he is still good - as long as he is proving something, he'll try to make things happen when they aren't there.

Good coaching can overcome this - but so far the only coach to successfully reel him in was Linehan. IF Saban & Co can reel him in, then Miami is in for a good season. At this point, though, I would fear that the first several games are going to be a bit tough on fans.

14. J-E-T-S 1083

well i guess we know who the worst team in the league is now, the Dolphins. They suck i mean the worst record in the league wow i mean after all that hype look what happens. Saban choked I mean what kind of throw was that he did a triple pump fake. He deserved for the official not to notice i mean what a puss of a coach. Meanwhile getting stuffed at the end by the most overrated player in the league Joey Porter. I thought Daunte was better than that, and Ronnie Brown didnt do much damage I guess the guy is a bust after all. They also got lucky at the fumble at the 1 yard line i mean how many teams get a break like that and dont put it away. I'll tell you who the worst team in the league is.... the Dolphins [​IMG]

btw i'm gonna be sending your paperbags back i think you'll be needing them more than I this year... 0-1 HA

15. Thoth

Yeah. The jets have a whole lead of .5 games over the phins. Enjoy it while you can Funny guy! LOL

16. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Ive heard he didnt throw the flag far enough...thats crap, red flag anywhere on the green field should be noticed....im told he didnt throw it soon enough....thats crap too, he was 3-4 seconds ahead of the snap and anything ahead of the snap is soon enough....I can remember lots of time when an xp was kicked while the whistle was blowing because the coach challenged a play at the end....realistically, the Steelers were going to be 1st and goal inside the 5....would they have scored? theres a good chance they would have....is it impossible to think a defense can hold? It happens all the time, it had even happened just a few minutes previous....Im not going to blame the refs, because the Dolphins made enough mistakes to lose on thier own, but it does seem odd that whenever Walt Coleman's crew works a Steelers game(like the Super Bowl), the odd calls go thier way....if i learned anything, its to bet the Steelers hard when Colemans in the house....

17. J-E-T-S 1083

hey hey beef gave me permission and i will SAVOR that .5 game lead until we lose it this Sunday... lol

18. Thoth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>but it does seem odd that whenever Walt Coleman's crew works a Steelers game(like the Super Bowl), the odd calls go thier way....if i learned anything, its to bet the Steelers hard when Colemans in the house....</div>
    Once is a coincedence. Twice is not. LOL? I don't believe in coincedences. ROFL??

Beef; Did Big Ben and (I believe) the back judges daughter get any more serious or was it just a pre Super Bowl booty call? LOL.

19. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

After further review, it wasnt Coleman's crew that worked the Super Bowl....I really thought it was....as for the Big Ben story, I havent heard anything else about that since, so either it was crap from the begining or someone worked really hard to cover it up....

20. bakes781

bakes781 nfl-*****s member

This is very unbecoming of the DWO to rant over a challenge flag that had it even been overturned more than likely would have only resulted in less time on the clock for your Phins to come back. With that said as I mentioned on the Key to Thursdays Game thread I believe there is a buzzer that coaches are given to alert the refs, so Saban has no recourse IMO.