9 Freshman won't Redshirt

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by STOMP, Aug 24, 2014.

1. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

I will admit to being a bit surprised. Maybe Freeman is for real.

3. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I'm probably starting to get too hyped for Rolls Royce.

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I'm sure he'll get some reps vs South Dakota. How well he picks up blocking assignments and the rest of the little things will help determine how much action he gets in bigger games.

Some actual surprises on the list though. Justin Hollins over Eddie Heard & Charles Nelson over Jalen Brown probably are both about Special Teams... maybe Henry Mondeaux too. Guessing Ragin's waiver being approved is the reason Jimmy Swain will Redshirt

STOMP

5. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

It's offical, Chuck Norris just said that Royce Freeman is one bad dude. :-)

6. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Royce will give us the tough north to south yards we couldn't get before and the great thing is how fresh all our backs will be. Waves of Byron, Tyner than Royce will break defenses down!! By 4th quarter some defenses will be faking injuries all over the field just to slow down the abuse!

7. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that freeman will mostly be used in short distance and goal line situations this year. I think we'll see more of him against teams like stanford.

8. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Exactly right! The best part is against Stanford we'll give them a dose of their own offensive medicine this year on short yardage smash mouth. MSU will be the dress rehearsal!

9. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I interested to see how OL newcomers Crosby and Luisi are going to be used to open up holes and are they going to be ready for MSU and Stanford? The backs can't do anything if they don't have the holes. Wonder if these guys are going to primarily play in the strong packages?

10. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Crosby and Lousi sure could make some holes. I think Crosby will be an absolute beast in three years. Already he's pancaking guys on the field as a freshman. Another dark horse in this race a year or so out is the kid Eggert. Once they get his weight under control he's a load and then some 6'8 300 now as a true freshman. I hear he's also got a mean streak in him a mile long!

As for right now though Crosby may be the short yard hole creator in times of need!

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Unless there is some sort of unspoken seismic shift in offensive philosophy thats gone on, the backups you mention will primarily play with the other 2s when the game is getting out of hand. Greatwood rotates guys in some to keep everyone fresh, but they run the same stuff regardless of who is blocking and who is lined up in the backfield. For instance, DAT ran inside with great success throughout his Duck career. Similarly, I expect them to run Freeman off tackle on the outside just like Jonathan & LeGarrett did. Tyrell & Haniteli are big strong young OLineman, but they're not bigger then Kyle Long or Mark Asper who preceded them in this offense.

I've seen no indication that they won't continue to spread teams out & read the D, taking what is there rather then forcing the issue running a Stanford/Bama smash mouth style of Offense where the cards are played face up & it's run down the opponent's throat regardless. If the opponent sells out to stop the RBs (like Texas did), Marcus will pull it and run the counter or pass it into the flats the opposite direction of the initial flow of the play. Thats how they do it

STOMP

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  12. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

It is my opinion that Helfrich ordered the lineman on both sides of the ball to get bigger and stronger in direct relation to Oregon losing to Stanford the last two years. The last loss to Stanford wasn't just a loss but it was us basically taken out behind the woodshed and whipped due to size. I also believe that Hellfrich ordered bigger lineman to be recruited as part of this fundamental shift. You have to go way back to the days when Geoff Schwartz and Max Unger recruitment year to find an Oregon recruiting class with the amount of lineman (Close to or over) at 300 lbs. I see the players mentioned as a big part of defeating Stanford this year so they have to be ready by that time.

Because Oregon and Stanford play such a wide contrast in games, it's my opinion that the one that scores first is going to be able to implement their game plan on the game and it's going to be hard for the other team to play catch up, thus, the one who scores first has a high percentage of winning the game.

It's a tough call right now for obvious reasons but I think Oregon (With the bigger lineman) are going to pound Stanford with the running game inside the tackles to begin the game. If these new lineman are not ready by that game then I see Oregon making the judgement call to basically limit the running game by passing the ball deep down the field to force Stanford into a 2 safety set. However, it all comes down to Oregon's offensive line occupying the linbacking core of Stanford if Oregon wants to win the game. If Stanford can win the line of scrimmage with only 4 down lineman then that plays right into the hands of Stanford (Insert Crosby & Luisi here). I see Oregon trying to run down hill at Stanford as the key to winning that game as that game is paramount to the success of the Ducks playoff hopes.

A lot of time before now and the Stanford game so we will see how things go so....

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Individual Lineman on both sides of the ball typically get bigger & bigger throughout their college careers. This happens at every college every year. Max Unger is an excellent example of this as he went from 280-309 from when he was recruited to when he hit the NFL combine. The latest class has OLineman ranging from 258 to up to Zach Okun's 327 lbs. While I'm sure the plan is for some of the lighter guys to fill out via weights/nutrition, I've read Greatwood quotes on both Okun & the biggest guy from last class Eggert saying they'll need to slim down and get into shape. I don't know how long you've followed recruiting, but most of these big Stanford OLineman were recruited by Oregon... which is another indication that things really haven't changed much recently with the offensive philosophy or the size of guys that they're targeting.

That aside, it doesn't seem you are aware that Stanford's DLine (which is who you're contending shut Oregon down...right?) was/is both shorter and lighter then Oregon's DLine and are pretty average size wise. Oregon absolutely destroyed many similar sized front 7s last season. My contention is Oregon entered that fight with one hand tied behind their back, as Mariota couldn't move. In the two previous games (vs WSU & UCLA) the defenses were catching on. Verses Stanford the gig was up as they knew they didn't have to respect his ability to tuck it and run the counter. So no, the smaller lighter Cardinal didn't stop Oregon's attack with their size. Give credit to their talent & schemes but also note how limited Oregon's attack was with a hobbled Field General.

On the other hand, the Cardinal OLine was/is very large compared to Oregon & most teams. While they did pound Oregon with their running attack, they were only able to put up 26 points. I truly think that won't be nearly enough to keep up with Oregon this year if Mariota is healthy.

STOMP

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014