A Blazer Fan Living in Spurs Country

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by bigbailes, May 12, 2014.

1. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

It's been a very frustrating week and I don't know where else to vent and figured this was as good a place as any.

Having lived in South Texas for 4 years now I've studied the way Spurs fans act and behave. Its fascinating to me because they want so badly for everyone to like them and seem to need that outside approval. I wonder if it's because of the success over the past decade and a half but yet they are not a "National" team. Rarely do you see SA fans at other games. There are not many kids in Sacramento sporting a Parker or Ginobili jersey and I really think this bothers many of their fans. In game 3 of their series with Dallas (a 4 hour drive) me and my roommate spotted a total of 4 people wearing Spurs jerseys. You'd think there'd be a much bigger support system for the Spurs in a rival texas city.

Hell, take the Charles Barkley comments, most cities would shrug it off and not think twice. Down here he's almost become public enemy #1. I know many of the national writers love to poke fun at Blazer fans for being "soccer moms" but these fans seem to take it to another level.

I'm not sure where this all comes from, maybe it's only having one pro team in town. Maybe SA fans and Portland fans aren't that much different, but I at least HOPE we'll be different when we have the kind of success they have experienced.

2. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Ha, ha. No wonder there's been so much lovey-dovey between some of the Spurs fans and some of the Blazers fans around here. Seems we have a lot in common.

3. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

There is a guy on my street with a Spurs flag mounted to his house. I swear I have never seen it before. But, meh, it's Seattle.

4. Rz4k

Rz4k Member

Tbh most people I know actually laugh at Barkley's fat women comments; it helps that most of them are true. Also, I've seen a lot of Spurs fans at away games. Hell, there have been a number of 'Go Spurs Go' chants in other arenas (the one in DC actually made headlines iirc) this year alone.

I mentioned how much Portland and SA have in common as well before the series started, and so far its held true. The fan bases really are similar.

5. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Are you calling us fat?

6. Rz4k

Rz4k Member

You're not fat, just big boned imo.