A different angle add Conley Jr. and Varejao?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Idog1976, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Maybe something like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=26nrn98

Portland out:

Miller
    Fernandez

Portland In:

Conley Jr.
    Darrell Arthur

followed by this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2a8kyj6

Portland Out:

Bayless
    Joel

Portland In:

Varejao

Resultant lineup:

PG: Conley/Johnson/Mills
    SG: Roy/Matthews/Williams
    SF: Batum/Matthews/Cunningham
    PF: LMA/Varejao/Arthur/Pendergraph
    C: Oden/Camby/Varejao

Cut the rest of the guys. You could trade Babbit for a pick i'm NOT impressed.

Get a PG who can distribute and shoot. Yes Conley is a gamble, but he has the tools (range, 3 ball and quicks) he just has been in basketball hell with OJ Mayo as his personal Satan. I think a move to the NW and being with GO would be a boon. It might help sway GO to resign here as well (hopefully that isn't an issue).

It doesn't solve your 2nd scorer problem unless GO becomes that guy (with Conley I think there's a better shot at that) but we add a lot of depth and defensive capability without giving up much. I especially love our tremendous front court depth.

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

You just significantly downgraded the point guard position. Meh.

3. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    I dont' agree Miller isn't getting any younger and has yet to find any range. Conely Jr. is one of the VERY few young PG's who has shown flashes and is currently in a bad situation and therefore attainable.

Other then maybe Flynn or arguably Collison (Would go for him first) there aren't any young PG's out there that have what we need. That is Speed, Shooting touch and ability to see the floor.

Conley is under rated and was starting to break out until they drafted Mayo. Actually, now that I fact check it was Mayo's rookie year second half of the year Conley was starting to look good. He shot about 41% from 3point range and post-All Star break it was more like 45%.

Look at 2008/09 season: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/conlemi01.html

I think Conley is worth considering. He's not my top choice Paul, or my second choice Collison, but he's one of the best that we could conceivably get.

Tony Parker has trap written all over it to me. No way they trade him unless he's close to done. Last year he seemed a shell of himself and he can't shoot so we would have the same problems we have with Miller.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. Nikolokolus

This team doesn't need "flashes" or "potential" at the point gaurd spot -- at least as a starter. If you are going to replace Miller then it had better be somebody significantly younger and least somewhat better or there's really not much point in making the trade right now and Conley doesn't do that for me.

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Not sure if I want to trade the only guy on the team who didn't get injured last year.

6. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Touche'

7. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Do you think we can be successful with a PG who can't shoot and Roy/Oden needing the lane unclogged? That's an honest question. I'm not opposed to giving it a run with Miller next year, but I also wonder how well he really compliments Roy and Oden who both need a shooter at the PG position for the kickout.

8. Nikolokolus

Maybe yes, maybe not, but I know for sure that Mike Conley just isn't that good of a player, not terrible, but an average starter at best.

9. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    How do you know that for sure? I'm sure people didnt think much of Caron Butler or Jermaine O'Neal until they were traded either. You can say you don't like what you've seen but your certainty I think is misplaced.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I don't like it either, but I think it's a good effort. After hearing and reading how Brandon only wants to play with a certain type of PG, I'm not sure Conley is that guy. I like Varejao, but I'm not sure we have the minutes to make him happy, or to best utilize his talents.

11. Nikolokolus

OK, I'm done. I refuse on general principle to get into an argument about mediocre players like Mike Conley.

12. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Wow, I didn't know your weak point was discussing mediocore players. I will file that away for future use next to Nestorvic, Rasho. ;)

13. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    What is that certain type of PG? I mean really? Has he listed attributes? That would help me in my Arm Chair GM-manship.

14. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

If having Conley on the team is the way to make GO dominate because he is comfortable and happy - I would most definitely look to get Conley on the team, especially when he is very close to an average starter in production despite the fact that his usage% was very low for a PG. Add the fact that he actually shoots rather reasonably from the 3 - and will thus be an OK fit next to B-Roy - and this is not as dumb an idea as some are painting.

15. Mediocre Man

Steve Blake on steroids.

A PG that can shoot, defend PG's, play off the ball and doesn't like to push tempo

16. Nikolokolus

I'll discuss anything, but I've said all I can really say about Conley; He's just imminently average. There's no reason to keep going back and forth in my opinion.

17. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

But what makes you think that is the case? I see nothing in Conley that indicates that, and the whole fact that Memphis is trying OJ Mayo at PG when he absolutely stinks at it, does not speak highly of Conley.

18. Mediocre Man

That's always a good point to bring up. If Conley can get to Greg and be a good luck charm of sorts thenm by all means trade for him. My only complaint for him on our team is that he likes to have the ball in his hands, like most PG's do.

19. Nikolokolus

How about we get Steve Blake back and put him on a regimen of the clear?

20. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Shoot, defend PG and play off the ball is right. Doesn't like to push tempo is not important, imho - even if Roy is not the greatest fast-break player in the league - a PG that can push the tempo - and if the opportunity is not there for an easy score settle it down for a half-court set - is just fine next to B-Roy.

Miller is very good in fast pace, can somewhat defend PGs but is not exactly a shining off-the-ball PG and a pretty lousy long-range shooter. It is not surprising that he is not the perfect fit next to B-Roy.

I do not know if Conley is, but he certainly seems to be doing OK with low-usage% in Memphis and his long-range shooting is acceptable.

He might never be as good a player as Miller - but he just might be a better fit.

Idog1976 likes this.