"A True MVP, in KG we Trust"

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by warez_333, Aug 5, 2003.

1. warez_333

warez_333 JBB JustBBall Member

"A True MVP, in KG we Trust"

(it's worth the read, i promise)

I can't believe that all the work and headache that KG goes through every season that he has consistantly been over looked for the highest individual achievment in the NBA, the single season MVP award. While one of the most respected players in the game today has failed to dawn a championship ring or heist the trophy above his head, it is the MVP award that KG has consistantly deserved on an individual basis.

The league however see's what MVP should be from a different point of view. It doesn't seem to matter that you dominate on both the offensive and defencive end of court, but only how far your team continues into the post season.

Last season it was Jason Kidd who was robbed of what everyone was sure would be a 'hands-down' MVP crowning. Yet somehow Kidd, while leading his team to the NBA Finals to be topped only by the L.A. Lakers, was denied the MVP title despite having an eye opening season total of 15 points, 10 assits and 7 boards per game to compliment his 2.2 average steals and .814 ft%. If team distance throughout the season and playoffs is what the league takes into consideration when checking the box with their mvp selection next to it, then there should have been no excuse for Kidd to miss out on the award last season.

This season again was no different then the last. With KG doing his usual carrying of the Minnesota Timberwolves and leading their run towards breaking a 7 season stretch of first round playoff loses, the Big Ticket has certainly endured with the T-Wolves the pain of losing. Garnett came off an incredible season this year both on the offenceive and defencive ends of the court bringing in career highs in virtually every stats category.

This season Garnett finished 8th on the points leaderboard with 23ppg, sharing the spot with Sacramento Kings center Chris Webber. Along with a record high points average, KG also dished out career high's of 6 assits per game, and pulled down 13 boards a game finishing second only to the two time defencive player of the year that is Ben Wallace. Yet despite stats that were the best of his career and the most overall dominant in the league, Kevin Garnett was yet again denied the mvp title that has slipped by him numerous times before and into the hands of last years winner of the award, San Antonio's Tim Duncan.

Now don't get me wrong while i mean to take nothing from Duncan, except of course for this award and place it squarely into the hands of it's rightful owner. Duncan obviously is well known for his dominant play in the West and the key factor in San Antonio's championship run this year, but i think that adding a second mvp title to his list of achievments this year was a little far fetched. Statiscally the two players dominate their teams and lead in practically ever category being recorded, but against each other there is a notible difference that Garnett came out as the most valuable player to his club.
    Duncan's 02/03 Season stats PPG 23.3 RPG 12.9 APG 3.9 SPG .68 BPG 2.93 FG% .513 FT% .710 3P% .273 MPG 39.3

Garnett's 02/03 Season stats PPG 23.0 RPG 13.4 APG 6.0 SPG 1.38 BPG 1.57 FG% .502 FT% .751 3P% .282 MPG 40.5

It's clearly visible to the naked eye that Garnett came out on top as far as stats are concerned which should be the reason the MVP voting is based on as apose to the way the league has taken into consideration how far a team progresses into the playoffs. KG finished the regular season leading Duncan in 5 / 8 categories, with a significant gap between his apg average and the so called mvp. Moving into the post season there should be no argument who stepped up thier game to help their club pro-long the season, as Garnett brought his ppg average up from 23 to 27ppg and moving his rebounds from an already impressive 13 to 16 per game. Both increases coming in greater then what Duncan made to his game, only raising his points per game 1.4 and rebounds by 2 per game.

Taking all of this into account it's hard to believe that the Minnesota all-star who made the jump straight from high-school the worlds most respected basketball league, has yet to be dawned an NBA most valuable player. Maybe it's just me, or maybe my eyes have decieved me when watching Garnett throughout his career, but the numbers don't lie my friends. Much like a comparison to a fine wine, the big man in Minnesota is only getting better with age. Being regarded as one of the most fierce competitors in the league, Garnett has taken his beatings with an aggression to only make himself more dominant and feared on the court then he already is. And while he continues to walk away into the post season with his head held low tasting the bitterness of defeat, it's always an upbeat smiling Kevin that we see come back onto the court every October, ready to play, ready to win...ready to rule.

-Warez

2. jbbSpree

jbbSpree JBB JustBBall Member

i totally agree. Numbers don't lie and it is obvious that KG was alot more valuable to his team last season than Duncan was. BUT like you said maybe they do take how far you go into the postseason as a consideration and unfortunately (might be unfair) Duncan has taken his team alot further.. good article worth reading.. if they don't get out of the first round of the playoffs this year then it will be very dissapointing.. however if they do maybe his MVP chances will increase.. good luck to him i think he deserves it

3. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Much like a comparison to a fine wine, the big man in Minnesota is only getting better with age.</div>

I like this quote...

the article was great... KGs numbers were slightly (and obviously better)... and his numbers did sky rocket in the playoffs... Im sure if he didnt play the BEST 5th seeded team in the history of the NBA playoffs they would have been out of the 2nd round...

unfortunatley the NBA wants its image to be clean and who is more plain, dull and boring that Tim Duncan? The people who really know basketball know that KG should have got MVP... and their is a reason that its called the NBA REGULAR SEASON MVP...

id also like to point out that people dont give this man respect, part of where you stated the headaches he goes through... if its not enough he hasta to carry a team each and every night to the playoffs then try to win it... we have uneducated fans on his ass finding something wrong in his game (which by the stats there really isnt)...

4. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

Very nice! I still don't know why he wasn't named the MVP, it's based on the regular season, not the playoffs. Sure Duncan had a better record, but Garnett didn't exactly have the coach of the year or a good supporting cast.

5. jbbSpree

jbbSpree JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting purehoops:</div><div class="quote_post">

unfortunatley the NBA wants its image to be clean and who is more plain, dull and boring that Tim Duncan? The people who really know basketball know that KG should have got MVP... and their is a reason that its called the NBA REGULAR SEASON MVP...</div>

Exactly. The nba can stick it's image where it belongs for all i care. Untill they realise it's about your game and not about how the public percieve you THEN they are making progress. I mean the nba pin up boy is undergoing rape charges so what does that tell you about image.. don't judge a book by its cover.. KG 4 MVP

p.s i fell a little off track there, just try and understand where im coming from

6. t-mac

t-mac JBB JustBBall Member

i agree that kg and duncan were very close in the mvp award voting. and its obvious that kg's numbers were better and he did mean more to his team, but the fact of the matter is that ducan takes his team deep into the playoffs every year and until garnett can do the same he wont b listed in the same category as duncan, but im all for KG4 MVP if he take take these t-wolves past the first round and mayb even to the finals, he definetley deserves the recognition which he is not getting. and the thing about the image is rite it shouldnt matter, and in kg's case last season his game did the talking. lets hope he can do it again!

7. warez_333

That's horseshit though, you think DUNCAN could lead the T-Wolves roster (before this trade) into the finals!? hell no!

But i don't doubt at all that KG would have made it to the finals had HE been on SA instead of Duncan. It's because in San Antonio...duncan is a KEY player...in Sota, KG is THE player...and that's it!

8. T_WOLF_DAWG

T_WOLF_DAWG JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting twolvefan11:</div><div class="quote_post">Very nice! I still don't know why he wasn't named the MVP, it's based on the regular season, not the playoffs. Sure Duncan had a better record, but Garnett didn't exactly have the coach of the year or a good supporting cast.</div>

Your right. He should have been MVP, and he probably would have if we'd gotten out of the first round. Nad this year he will have a way better supporting cast. :thumbsup:

9. warez_333

I seriously hope this new team gels together. As long as Sam and Spree and the Kandi-man realize that they're coming into a team that HAS it's franchise player already, that they need to follow HIS lead. If this all goes well i really think the Wolves can be a top competitor.

..otherwise hopefully KG will not re-sign and decide to come play with Vince and my Raptors, [​IMG]

10. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting warez_333:</div><div class="quote_post">I seriously hope this new team gels together. As long as Sam and Spree and the Kandi-man realize that they're coming into a team that HAS it's franchise player already, that they need to follow HIS lead. If this all goes well i really think the Wolves can be a top competitor.

</div>

I dont think the Wolves with have the problem with everyone wanting to be a leader and thinking they are. Cassell, Kandi, and Spree all know that this is KG's team and it will remain KG's team for as long as he is there. I dont think there will be a leadership issue with this team. All three of them new this coming in.

11. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Duncan and KG are both great players, so its too hard to judge. Its like picking Kobe vs Tmac. Either way you are gonna get a good player. But I believe duncan leads his team more. The reason i say that is because Game 6 of the 03 finals changed my mind.
    PLAYER MIN FGM-A 3GM-A FTM-A OFF DEF TOT AST PF ST TO BS PTS
    TIM DUNCAN 46 9-19 0-1 3-5 4 16 20 10 2 0 4 8 21

Ive never watched a playoff game where the box score was 21,20,10 and 8. Thats just insane

12. Ice

Ice JBB Member

As for regular season MVP its still a toss up to me