Accepting our guys for what they are.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by StumptownHoliday, Oct 25, 2013.

1. StumptownHoliday

StumptownHoliday Y'all know what time it is.

Doctor
    First off I would just like to say that i am unbelievably encouraged by that GSW game last night. Granted it was the preseason, but our rebounding and defensive intensity have done nothing but move in the positive direction since the beginning of preseason. This team might be better than any of us (and Stotts) expected. I'm so fucking excited about Damian's defense so far. If he's getting steals and defending like he has been during the regular season, he becomes one of the most dangerous perimeter weapons in the NBA, bar none. :clap: :wub:

Now for my topic, accepting players for who they are. This is really for #88. I think what we're starting to see out of him is the comfort and resolve of a player who knows what he is and loves being it. With Dame and LMA in tow, we don't really need Nic to be that 20 ppg scorer, what we need him to be is a dangerously decisive and resolved defensive stopper and offensive wizard, and that is exactly what he is. He has a great shooting stroke, strong court vision, and he rebounds the Spaulding off the ball. He is the best glue guy in the NBA, and that can make you an all star. It might take time, but I think losing out on Nic will be a big regret for this franchise, if we ever do in fact trade him. He's a championship level player who steps up for big games. I want Nic to be exactly what he is, and be confident about it.

What are your guys' opinions on the matter? Do you think this ideology should be applied to other players on the roster as well (Throb, Leonard, etc)?

illmatic99, HailBlazers and BBert like this.
  2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with you. Nic is not Scottie Pippen. He's more Super Prince (I've long said he's a combination of Prince, Battier & Posey). He's one of those players that when you plug him into a contender he makes them a champion. So it's kind of a cart before the horse situation, as we haven't built a contender. But since we have him, we should certainly keep him unless a ridiculous trade offer is made.

BBert likes this.
  3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree on Nic. He has the big contract and expectations are high. But it would be a nice luxury
    for this team if he did not have to worry about scoring and was just left to do all the little things.

I was watching the NBA TV half hour special on the Blazers and they highlighted two incredible defensive possessions last year by Nic that I doubt many fans noticed. He covered a lot of ground in those two half court plays with his team defense.

If he cuts down on a few of his unforced turnovers, but keeps his assists high, and just plays his all around game I will be happy.

BBert likes this.
  4. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Nic is French - he eat's Curry for breakfast!

5. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

I agreed as well and the great thing about Nico is that he can do all those things but he can still drop 30 on any given night. Which makes him even better than many of the other comparisons listed above.

The key for Nico ISN'T consistency in my opinion as many have said. Its learning to recognize what this team needs from him each night, and that it could be totally different from one night to the next. If he is going to truly embrace the "Glue Guy Deluxe" role then he has to be able to read the game and recognize where we need him to pick up the slack each night. That is what will maximize his potential with us.

BBert likes this.
  6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    If batum is getting the 8-10 boards and 5-8 assists a game, I won't give a shit about his scoring. Scoring is easy and we have plenty of scorers. I want batum be that defense perimeter stopper and intangible player.

As for this team... I wouldn't be surprised if we are top 5 in rebounding and opposing fg%.

BBert likes this.
  7. Boise Blazer

Boise Blazer Thread Lightly

As he said to Curry, "Say I love crepes!"

[video=youtube;ZDqXbk_ThH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDqXbk_ThH0[/video]

8. magnifier661

I think he's working his way into being an untouchable player. All he needs to do is stay healthy.

9. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I really enjoyed your take on Nic. He got a big contract so higher expectations are fair. But he didn't get a max contract and to expect him to go out and dominate day in and day out is too high of an expectation for him (IMO). Nic was paid to do the exact things you were mentioning and to do it consistently. It is the consistency that I think is a fair expectation and criticism about his game. But consistency in defense and being active on the offensive side is really the expectations I have for him.

I will say I think Nic gets a bit of a bad rap because he isn't emotional on the court. So on off games for him it is easy to question his commitment and passion.

BBert likes this.
  10. magnifier661

The only reason why I was hard on nic was his health and energy being a concern. This season should be a great season for batum. We have enough bench to limit his minutes down to 35 a game. That should give him the ability to be aggressive throughout the game.

11. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

This is an extremely interesting concept, but it would require a very high BBIQ. I hope Nic with the aid of some assistant coaches can spot these things.

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Interesting analysis, and I agree with it. Although, I think that the coaches should be able to identify what they need from each of their players on any given night. In fact, you would think that in preparing for each individual game they would have an idea as to how best utilize each player. Of course no game ever goes as planned, so adjustment on the fly is key. But I think that the onus must be on the coaching staff to communicate what to focus on on any given night. I'm encouraged by the reports of Stotts making an in-game change to put Nic on Curry last night.

13. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Repped.

It surprises me the way Nico gets bashed for being a team player.

14. StumptownHoliday

Doctor
    Appreciate the responses fellas. And the rep BBert.

I don't think people lack appreciation from Batum as a team player, I just think the way he plays and his demeanour on the court (he's actually a pretty fired up player, just watch his reactions when he gets called for a ticky-tack foul) belies how much of a talent he really is. There are very few humans on the planet who can do as many things as well as he can on a basketball court, in part due to his physical gifts. I think over time people will come to realize just how special Batum is, and if it's not with us, he'll be an integral member of a championship team one day (a la Tayshaun Prince).

I also think Terry Stotts is proving himself to be a much more serious and sharp coach than many have been giving him credit for. There's a reason why Rick Carlisle said he would miss Stotts so much: he's a very innovative offensive coach and a flexible, placid person willing to work on things and get better professionally. He also has a chip on his shoulder due to his past firings, and I think he won't take no for an answer. This is his chance and he's taking it.

15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I also think it should apply to Damian. He has skills that are not easily found. He can flat out shoot from anywhere inside of 28' and more importantly he can get the shot off without much help.

IMO we need to accept him for what he is. Our #1 scoring option. He may not be the best passing PG in the league, so if the Blazers are smart they will surround him with other players who will compliment him. Another guard and SF who can take the pressure off of him as a facilitator. I think Nic is one piece of that trio. But by no means should we start ragging on Lillard after every game for not being Steve Nash.

He is working on improving his weaknesses, but in the end.........we need to accept what he does best and enjoy watching him do it.

16. magnifier661

Who's bashed him from being a "team player"? I've never read this in here.

17. StumptownHoliday

Doctor
    Agreed. That's the whole idea of this thread. i think Dame does have the skill to carry a team on his back, and because of that we actually have a pretty stacked team. Imagine what we could do if we had James Harden on board? Roy would look awfully nice on this roster. :(

18. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

I disagree. Roy was a Kobe. He needed the ball in his hands and he could only shine when he was one on one. He was just as bad as Damian on defense.

19. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Roy was not a Kobe. Yes, he loved the ball in his hands but you can't say he wouldn't shine with Lillard in the backcourt with him. Roy wasn't a diva like Kobe is.

20. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator