Adam Silver is a moron

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shooter, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Shooter

Shooter Unanimously Great

advertising
    I would love to see Lillard named an All-Star, but this idea of expanding the roster to avoid such difficult choices is ridiculous. Life is full of difficult choices. So what? What's the next step, expanding the All-Star roster to 50 so no one gets his feelings hurt?

Leave the roster where it is, for God's sake. Let's let Lillard get so good that he beats out another great player and makes that guy watch the game on TV.

magnifier661 and Strenuus like this.
  2. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

If selecting an all-star replacement is a "difficult choice" then the NBA commissioner is a grossly over paid position.

Shooter and Orion Bailey like this.
  3. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    he said on ESPN radio that the one thing he's gonna remember the most from his first year at the top, is having to pick between DC and DL - rather odd considering all the drama with Atlanta and Donald Sterling....

as you say, he did mention on the radio show about possibly expanding the roster limit to 13 or 15, which, like you, i think is a rather shit idea. Fix the dunk contest before you touch the main dance. I'm not sure what it is, but all the recent Allstar games/weekends in recent memory have just ultimately turned into a fading memory of forgetability. is that a word? if no, im claiming it....

what they used to do here for trials for All Black rugby selection, was have 2 teams called the Probables and the Possibles, which was basically the shadow team vs. the ones on the bubble. Those games were always fuckin serious, you're actually playing for something beyond the game - i guess its similar to how they run Team USA basketball, but i think there is an angle in there somewhere, although its gonna be hard to get away from the East/West thing.

Players Choice could be interesting - and if they get picked for both games, they chose which - voted by the fans n coaches, or voted by your peers.

i dont fuckin know, but what i do know is the ASG is weak as shit these days, and more players on the roster aint gonna help it.

4. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    I disagree. The all-star roster is not representative of an NBA roster. Adding 1 more player would match what regular NBA rosters have. I say do it. That way the All-Star game would risk less injuries by playing the players less minutes. Also, more players would reach economic incentives to make the team.

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Expanding the rosters under the current format is dumb because nonstarters only get spot minutes as it is. If they want to expand the number of players, they ought to dump all of the stupid contests on Saturday and go to a 4 team 2-day tournament format. That could be fun to watch.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  6. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

First, abolish conferences. Seriously, Eastern/Western Conference has to go, because the Shite Conference is ruining it for the Great Conference. Then, eliminate fan voting (it's way down anyway now that there are no Chinese players in Houston).

The problem then solves itself.

Make 30 spots, for the Top 30 players across the league. Then have a two-team draft where the best head coach drafts, then the second best.

7. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    If all 12 spots were selected by fan vote, Lillard would've made it. He was 5th among West guards, ahead of Thompson and Westbrook.

8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

That'd still be a horrible idea. lol.

9. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

You want someone to feel genuinely sleighted, make it like the old inactive roster. Pick 15 players for each team and have the all-star coach choose his 12-man active roster before the game.

10. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    Clearly Silver never wanted any part of this decision. Let's say that on the court Dame & Cousins are equal (I won't concede that but for sake of argument), as a commissioner it comes down to things like corporate sponsorship & player marketability, right? . . . who's got the shoe contract? Who has the better image and represents the league well vs who is the TWO time defending league leader in tech fouls? Who's more entertaining to watch? This IS an exhibition game for entertainment. It was puzzling in light of that how Cousins gets the nod over Dame BEFORE Silver's comments about why he made the decision. Dame smokes Cousins all day when it comes to the promotional side & because politics are always a part of things like this the thinking is how much better would Cousins have to be ON the court than Dame to make up for that in this case? And, how much better COULD Cousins possibly be on the court vs a guy who was on just about everybody's ballot of top 10 MVP candidates a few weeks ago?!! But it all made sense when Silver spilled the beans. Knowing there would be outcry either way, he hid behind the value he puts in the coaches input. After all, he's just the "3rd tier". If that's the case, why does the commissioner even make this selection? Why not just let the coaches pick the injury alternate? Gutless.

I could care less about the actual All Star GAME but I do care about the Trailblazer brand, which I think Dame has done more to enhance in 3 years than any player we've ever had (he hasn't done it by himself, no doubt). His Adidas signature shoe, the "D Lillard 1" launches Feb. 6th & they had a special colorway that was to be unveiled at the All Star game. Having worked for a major shoe company, I can tell you that's a big deal. Kids watch that game just to see who's wearing what shoe in what colorway. It's a huge swing & miss for Adidas & a blown opportunity for Dame & the Trailblazers to show the world that a superstar can thrive in a smaller market like Portland.

BlazerCaravan and Darkwebs like this.
  11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

How about if your team isn't in the playoffs you don't get a spot? KD, Westbrook, AD and Cousins spots could've been awarded to more deserving players on teams that actually have a shot. If that were the case we could've went with Dame, Ellis, Dirk and Z-Bo/Conley

12. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    The league could try a draft like the NFL has done. To qualify, the player has to be in a top ten stat list.

13. stampedehero

>I was thinking along the same lines with a top stat list as a parameter. So, for instance if Dame was #6 in assists he would be in.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  14. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Before Coach K took over the U.S. Team, they chose the players in advance, without tryouts. Having them compete for the job greatly improved the U.S. Team.

For the All-Star Team, they should bring in all 450 NBA players and make them try out.

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

How about having the allstar game at the end of the season instead of the middle so you have a better assesment of players contributions on the court? Just take a break in the middle and let them all go to Cancun

BigGameDamian likes this.
  16. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

That's a team measure, not an individual one. I get what you're saying, but it's not what all-star games in any sport are about. If anyone has a gripe along those lines, it's Tony Parker. I think he's only made it something like 25% of the years he's been in the league. Unselfish, consistent play is great for teams but not so good for all-star consideration.

17. stampedehero

I have to say the Blazer forum is absolutely unique and sharpens free thought... The Ravens forum is ok but testosterone floods the place.

18. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I have no idea what this is about. Silver has been nothing short of perfect during his short tenure. Easily the best commissioner of the major sports.

riverman and BlazerCaravan like this.
  19. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Yes. This change in personality reminds me of the change in CEO from Steve Jobs to Tim Cook at Apple. Firstly, less smarmy. Secondly, more interested in process, fairness, and social justice. All of these are nice.

20. stampedehero

>You are right. No NFL controversy traits.