AFC East day 1 draft grades

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thoth, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Phins A- I wonder about Crowder but Brown & Roth rule!

Pats B (giving Belichick the benefit of doubt)

jets C+ a PK in the 2nd? Miller was a need but I'm not sold on his character

Bills C- smurf WR for special teams in the 2nd round? Miami TE made their 1st day.

2. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Giants got a better CB. So, did the Steelers IMO.

3. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

As for the pats with the picks we had its kind of hard to make a real impact in the draft....but I like eveything I have read on Mankins....he looks like he'll be able to step in and start in place of andruzzi right away.

4. Cowboy71

Cowboy71 Dallas Cowboys *********

Grades really depends on what the grades mean. The Patriots aren't going to dramatically improve their team with their positions, so to maintain their excellence, do they just need a B or C?

To grade Miami, I would have to know what they are planning for personnel changes and how Matt Roth fits into their rotation. I watched the guy for four years, and I like his play, but I'm not totally sure what Miami is planning. Not much discussion on Brown...he should be a feature back for a long time. I don't think Crowder is a bad pickup in the 3rd. Yes, there are some issues, but he spent a long time at the end of round 1 or early round 2 in many, many mocks. I liked their picks.

I was a little disappointed in the Jets, but not because of the kicker. If he is truly an elite kicker, I have no problem with a 2nd rounder. Kickers make that type of impact in close games. Look at what Vinatieri has done over the years. I like the 6th round pick of Cedric Houston.

I don't know much about the Patriots picks, other than Hobbs. Hobbs was picked a little high in my opinion, but I'm sure BB has a place for him. He is a little small, and I never saw the recovery speed needed when I watched him in college. We'll see.

As for the Bills, Losman better pan out. Their trade last year netted them Losman, while the Cowboys netted Julius Jones, Marcus Spears, Drew Bledsoe, and Sean Ryan. Hmm. The only good thing was that they went with some Miami players. All else equal, that seems to be a good decision.

I would rank the drafting:
    1. Miami (clear cut)
    2. Patriots
    3. Jets
    4. Bills

5. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

I think you have to count losman into buffalo's draft since that is why they had no 1st. He is easily better than smith, so i would put them at 2