Air Monta's Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by .cabangbang, Jun 20, 2007.

1. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

1. Trailblazers - Greg Oden
    2. Sonics - Kevin Durrant
    3. Hawks - Al Horford
    4. Grizzlies - Brandan Wright
    5. Celtics - Yi Jianlian
    6. Bucks - Mike Conley
    7. Timberwolves - Spencer Hawes
    8. Bobcats - Corey Brewer
    9. Bulls - Joakim Noah
    10. Kings - Jeff Green
    11. Atlanta - Javaris Crittenton
    12. 76ers - Julian Wright
    13. Hornets - Nick Young
    14. Clippers - Acie Law
    15. Pistons - Al Thornton
    16. Wizards - Thaddeus Young
    17. Nets - Tiago Splitter
    18. Warriors - Josh McRoberts
    19. Lakers - Rodney Stuckey
    20. Heat - Derrick Bryars
    21. 76ers - Jason Smith
    22. Bobcats - Morris Almond
    23. Knicks - Wilson Chandler
    24. Suns - Rudy Fernandez
    25. Jazz - Jared Dudley
    26. Jazz - Marco Belinelli
    27. Pistons - Gabe Pruitt
    28. Spurs - Kyrylo Fesenko
    29. Suns - Sean Williams
    30. 76ers - Aaron Gray

I don't know enough about the 2nd round yet, so I may or may not do a full mock. I want your guy's opinion on this, because this is probably the most knowledgable group of fans I know.

EDIT: Crittenton was on my mock twice. Thank god for Voodoo.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

The draft is a crapshoot so it's anybody's guess what teams will do. But yeah, I like it. It makes pretty good sense to me. If the Wizards pick Thad Young, it might be like... "why? They got Caron Butler who is more of a small forward," but then again, a team would usually pick the BAP for a chance to add depth or trade them to somebody who is willing to give up a player the team actually wants.

McRoberts might be pretty good for #18, but I kinda want to look at Rudy Fernandez. He's pretty pro back in Europe.

Marko Bellinelli is also another interesting pick, but I heard he rather settle for long shots, so he might end up being disappointing like how Bostjan Nachbar or some other Euro shooter with athleticism was. We also don't want a Jiri Welsch part 2 even though his shot mechanics were pretty good and his team fundamentals were excellent.

If we draft Josh McRoberts, he'd be one of my fan favorites already. I liked him in the high school dunk contest even though he lost (I think) to Gerald Green or somebody. Maybe if Don Nelson's style could actually wake up a disappointing guy like McRoberts, who knows?

3. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The draft is a crapshoot so it's anybody's guess what teams will do. But yeah, I like it. It makes pretty good sense to me. If the Wizards pick Thad Young, it might be like... "why? They got Caron Butler who is more of a small forward," but then again, a team would usually pick the BAP for a chance to add depth or trade them to somebody who is willing to give up a player the team actually wants.

McRoberts might be pretty good for #18, but I kinda want to look at Rudy Fernandez. He's pretty pro back in Europe.

Marko Bellinelli is also another interesting pick, but I heard he rather settle for long shots, so he might end up being disappointing like how Bostjan Nachbar or some other Euro shooter with athleticism was. We also don't want a Jiri Welsch part 2 even though his shot mechanics were pretty good and his team fundamentals were excellent.

If we draft Josh McRoberts, he'd be one of my fan favorites already. I liked him in the high school dunk contest even though he lost (I think) to Gerald Green or somebody. Maybe if Don Nelson's style could actually wake up a disappointing guy like McRoberts, who knows?</div>

From what I've heard, if Thad. is there at 16, Washington is going to take him no matter what.

4. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Air Monta Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">From what I've heard, if Thad. is there at 16, Washington is going to take him no matter what.</div>

I understand. He is the BAP in terms of upside and Washington wants to capitalize. But man, watching his game reminds me of Jamison for some reason. Maybe, that is exactly who they are trying to replace for cheaper money. Washington's center tandem ain't that bad IMO, but they could use more legit options at power forward.

Nice contributions btw! I like your posts.

5. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

I'm Air Pietrus/J-Rich23, so you should remember me.

6. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know about McRoberts. He may become a good player. I think he could do fine possibly coming off the bench for this team. From the highlites I've seen from youtube on him, he looks like Al Harrington with a higher vertical leap (though I don't know if he has quite the scoring ability that Harrington has, though his is usually quite streaky and inconsistant). When I've seen Duke games, which is not difficult since they are on quite often, I was never really overly impressed by his game or performances. For some reason I remember Duke often being in tough positions needing someone to step it up in close games and all I remember from McRoberts is being in foul trouble on the bench or not stepping it up quite enough on the floor.

As far as mock drafts go, I think this one is as good as anyother one. I mean by the nbadraft.net site you have players ranked around 90's overall throughout the first and second rounds. So it seems like a pretty even draft right now. The two sites that I usually use to read about certain players nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com have totally different mocks. So this draft may really become a crapshoot (especially after the first few picks of the draft) like Custodianrules2 said.

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know about McRoberts. He may become a good player. I think he could do fine possibly coming off the bench for this team. From the highlites I've seen from youtube on him, he looks like Al Harrington with a higher vertical leap. When I've seen Duke games, which is not difficult since they are on quite often, I was never really overly impressed by his game or performances. For some reason I remember Duke often being in tough positions needing someone to step it up in close games and all I remember from McRoberts is being in foul trouble on the bench or not stepping it up quite enough on the floor.

As far as mock drafts go, I think this one is as good as anyother one. I mean by the nbadraft.net site you have players ranked around 90's overall throughout the first and second rounds. So it seems like a pretty even draft right now. The two sites that I usually use to read about certain players nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com have totally different mocks. So this draft may really become a crapshoot (especially after the first few picks of the draft) like Custodianrules2 said.</div>

McRoberts to this point, can block shots, and has no where near the jumper that Harrington does, so we will have McRoberts as more of a post player than a Harrington type. McRoberts runs the floor well as well, so we should get some good points from him off trailing fastbreaks.

8. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Air Monta Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">McRoberts to this point, can block shots, and has no where near the jumper that Harrington does, so we will have McRoberts as more of a post player than a Harrington type. McRoberts runs the floor well as well, so we should get some good points from him off trailing fastbreaks.</div>

This is kind of my question then: Can McRoberts play a good enough post game offensively (and defensively) to be effective? The good thing is that it looks like he has a lot of tools to work with. It just may take a couple of years to get him to become a solid pro; but between then and now I think he could add some stuff off the bench for this team. One of the weaknesses I have read about him is that he fails to box-out strongly for rebounds, which is a problem the whole team faces. No doubt this guys is a facinating prospect. I think he could prosper by playing another year at Duke and perhaps become a sure lottery pick next season. Because of this, I think he definitley should be an option for the Warriors at 18. I think other options there should be Rudy Fernandez who I think is the player custodianrules2 wants. I'd also like to see the Warriors look to get Petteri Koponen at number 18 (ideally it would be better to grab him in the second round, but I don't know if he'd last that long). He could become a good PG, and perhaps a backup to Baron this season, and perhaps a player that could make Monta Ellis expendable in a deal to perhaps get Kevin Garnett.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Air Monta Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm Air Pietrus/J-Rich23, so you should remember me.</div>

Who? [​IMG]

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know about McRoberts. He may become a good player. I think he could do fine possibly coming off the bench for this team. From the highlites I've seen from youtube on him, he looks like Al Harrington with a higher vertical leap (though I don't know if he has quite the scoring ability that Harrington has, though his is usually quite streaky and inconsistant). When I've seen Duke games, which is not difficult since they are on quite often, I was never really overly impressed by his game or performances. For some reason I remember Duke often being in tough positions needing someone to step it up in close games and all I remember from McRoberts is being in foul trouble on the bench or not stepping it up quite enough on the floor.

As far as mock drafts go, I think this one is as good as anyother one. I mean by the nbadraft.net site you have players ranked around 90's overall throughout the first and second rounds. So it seems like a pretty even draft right now. The two sites that I usually use to read about certain players nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com have totally different mocks. So this draft may really become a crapshoot (especially after the first few picks of the draft) like Custodianrules2 said.</div>

Yeah... it seems like few scouts felt good about Josh McRoberts when he was supposed to step up in place of Shelden Williams and J.J. Reddick leaving. He had plenty of disappointing games for a guy with such a skillset and athletic body. Maybe it is an experience thing or this guy has bust written all over him. People compare his type of game to Chris Webber's, but I don't see it. He looks more like athletic Troy Murphy (Notre Dame era) at times.

I feel like the further we drop down in the draft, we have to choose BAP regardless of need. If we end up finding a Tony Parker or Supermanu or a Josh Howard/Tayshaun Prince 4 year college player, we could win big. I just hope we don't settle for Josh McRoberts because he's a power forward. I hope if we select him, he can be a starter or a versatile bench guy. Hopefully, at #18 we can find an underrated guy like Monta Ellis was for us. Who would have thought that he would be the best player out of three draft picks that include him, Chris Taft, and Ike Diogu. Offensively/Defensively he did more to affect the game's tempo than any of the two big men could. Maybe, it's because of Don Nelson or Taft/Ike being injured, or whatnot, but Ellis really showed he could ballhawk it and get to the rim. I think we need more guys like that, but who can play within a team. McRoberts might not be that guy defensively. McRoberts also might not play above the rim as much if he's facing tougher opponents that can swat him.

I would like to see his low post footwork and defense improve. But that's all about strength conditioning, his body type and his attitude/approach to the game. I'm not sure if he's strong enough to make much difference at power forward nor is he an elite level athlete to have a high upside. He's still a pretty good athlete though. For #18, it's one of the picks to consider with Thadeus Young, tiago splitter, and Morris Almond. Another guy I like is Derrick Bryars. He's a safe pick, but could be a sleeper like Josh Howard was. Different kind of player, though. If we don't mind a guy who fits our needs more, but might betray somebody's trust and has character/drug issues, we go with Sean Williams (who could be a mini Marcus Camby on the defensive end). But his good workouts shmurkouts, I wouldn't touch that guy with a 10 mile pole! We got Sjax, we don't want him buddying up and starting something that happened in Portland a few years ago.

11. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think other options there should be Rudy Fernandez who I think is the player custodianrules2 wants. I'd also like to see the Warriors look to get Petteri Koponen at number 18 (ideally it would be better to grab him in the second round, but I don't know if he'd last that long). He could become a good PG, and perhaps a backup to Baron this season, and perhaps a player that could make Monta Ellis expendable in a deal to perhaps get Kevin Garnett.</div>

[​IMG] The tall point guard concept has intrigued me because Ellis could play more of an AI type scorer. But, I'm really bothered by the fact Fernandez weighs about the same or a little more than Ellis... How will this guy survive in the nba? He'll be hip checked into the stands!

He's been compared to Manu Ginobilli at one point. And I do like guards in the mold of Ray Allen/Manu/Brandon Roy, Afernee Hardaway etc.

12. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This is kind of my question then: Can McRoberts play a good enough post game offensively (and defensively) to be effective? The good thing is that it looks like he has a lot of tools to work with. It just may take a couple of years to get him to become a solid pro; but between then and now I think he could add some stuff off the bench for this team. One of the weaknesses I have read about him is that he fails to box-out strongly for rebounds, which is a problem the whole team faces. No doubt this guys is a facinating prospect. I think he could prosper by playing another year at Duke and perhaps become a sure lottery pick next season. Because of this, I think he definitley should be an option for the Warriors at 18. I think other options there should be Rudy Fernandez who I think is the player custodianrules2 wants. I'd also like to see the Warriors look to get Petteri Koponen at number 18 (ideally it would be better to grab him in the second round, but I don't know if he'd last that long). He could become a good PG, and perhaps a backup to Baron this season, and perhaps a player that could make Monta Ellis expendable in a deal to perhaps get Kevin Garnett.</div>

We saw Biedrins score mostly off tip ins and pick and rolls at the end of the year. McRoberts has a decent jumper, and he has length, speed, and mad hops for a white boy. He should be able to score with us regardless of whether he is playing post, pick and roll, or pick and pop, trailer, or a runner.

13. warriorsman

warriorsman BBW Member

This looks like a pretty good mock draft though I have seen this many times before becasue you've showed me a lot.

I do think that your draft is still solid and looks good and I do like Josh McRoberts at 18.

I still think that Julian Wright will go a bit higher. I show him play a lot this year(Jayhawk fan) and he was a very solid player and I think he is still going a bit higher.

14. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I understand. He is the BAP in terms of upside and Washington wants to capitalize. But man, watching his game reminds me of Jamison for some reason. Maybe, that is exactly who they are trying to replace for cheaper money. Washington's center tandem ain't that bad IMO, but they could use more legit options at power forward.

Nice contributions btw! I like your posts.</div>

If I saw any Jamison in Thad Y the games I watched-my opinion of him would go up 100%. I liked him less than several guys who are in Rd 2. However....I'd say the same about McRoberts,who looked like a generic Backup PF. Can't imagine we take him if Smith is available[​IMG] or we could trade down-get 2 guys each better than McRoberts.

15. REREM

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">This is kind of my question then: Can McRoberts play a good enough post game offensively (and defensively) to be effective? The good thing is that it looks like he has a lot of tools to work with. It just may take a couple of years to get him to become a solid pro; but between then and now I think he could add some stuff off the bench for this team. One of the weaknesses I have read about him is that he fails to box-out strongly for rebounds, which is a problem the whole team faces. No doubt this guys is a facinating prospect. I think he could prosper by playing another year at Duke and perhaps become a sure lottery pick next season. Because of this, I think he definitley should be an option for the Warriors at 18. I think other options there should be Rudy Fernandez who I think is the player custodianrules2 wants. I'd also like to see the Warriors look to get Petteri Koponen at number 18 (ideally it would be better to grab him in the second round, but I don't know if he'd last that long). He could become a good PG, and perhaps a backup to Baron this season, and perhaps a player that could make Monta Ellis expendable in a deal to perhaps get Kevin Garnett.</div>

McRoberts got bloated and slow and never was quick. He's still riding the hype of winning a HS dunk contest 25 pounds ago. He scored what...12 1/2 pt a game as Dukes "star" this year? That ranks about #175 in the NCAA. Worse....his shooting is the best part of his game.[​IMG]

16. REREM

PG?

Aaron Brooks has Monta type speed and can shoot. His PG tactics need some work but he's fairly decent as is.....can be had rd 2

So can Va Tech guards Zabian Dowdell and Jamon Gordon. When they played Ga Tech,Dowdell and Gordon were easily the best players in the game....not the young Ga Tech first rounders who got outsmarted most of the time.
    Gordon's 6-4 and tough but sneaky quick. Dowdell can knife through a good defense like it was butter.....good shooter too-and showed nice PG skill at camp and when he took over for Gordon.

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">REREM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If I saw any Jamison in Thad Y the games I watched-my opinion of him would go up 100%. I liked him less than several guys who are in Rd 2. However....I'd say the same about McRoberts,who looked like a generic Backup PF. Can't imagine we take him if Smith is available[​IMG] or we could trade down-get 2 guys each better than McRoberts.</div>

Understandable. What I meant was Thad looks like less of a small forward right now. Thad could be good someday at small forward, but he's got to go back to college in order to do it IMO. Then with Josh McRoberts, he was just plain disappointing in the midst of all that Duke and High School all-star hype. Both Thad and McRoberts were disappointing despite being in situations where they were supposed to take the reigns. Thad already has that body to play in the nba right now, but he's got no skill. McRoberts has a pretty decent body for a power forward, but defensively and offensively he doesn't do it like he should be doing it. I'm not too enthused about Jason Smith either... Ugg... I guess at #18 we gamble based on upside and nba readiness. Size is always important, but I think a skilled wing could be even better. If we get this year's Josh Howard, I'll be happy.

18. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

1. Portland Trailblazers – Greg Oden
    2. Seattle Sonics – Kevin Durrant
    3. Atlanta Hawks – Al Horford
    4. Memphis Grizzlies – Joakim Noah
    5. Boston Celtics – Jeff Green
    6. Milwaukee Bucks – Mike Conley Jr.
    7. Minnesota Timberwolves – Spencer Hawes
    8. Charlotte Bobcats – Corey Brewer
    9. Chicago Bulls – Yi Jianlian
    10. Sacramento Kings – Julian Wright
    11. Atlanta Hawks – Acie Law
    12. Philadelphia 76ers – Al Thornton
    13. New Orleans Hornets – Nick Young
    14. Los Angeles Clippers – Javaris Crittenton
    15. Pistons – Rodney Stuckey
    16. Washington Wizards – Thaddeus Young
    17. New Jersey Nets – Sean Williams
    18. Golden State Warriors – Jason Smith
    19. Los Angeles Lakers – Josh McRoberts
    20. Miami Heat – Daequean Cook
    21. Philadelphia 76ers – Tiago Splitter
    22. Charlotte Bobcats – Morris Almond
    23. New York Knicks – Wilson Chandler
    24. Phoenix Suns – Marco Belinelli
    25. Utah Jazz – Nick Fakezas
    26. Houston Rockets – Rudy Fernandez
    27. Detroit Pistons – Derrick Bryars
    28. San Antonio Spurs – Kyrylo Fesenko
    29. Phoenix Suns – Petteri Koponen
    30. Philadelphia 76ers – Aaron Gray

I'll do one more tonight depending on trades, and I'll try to get one in tommorow.

19. Custodianrules2

Nice. Fakezas -> Fazekas? Just wondering.

Man... if we gotta choose between Fazerkas, Jason Smith, and Josh Mc(possible)Bust, then I want a swingman or a shooting guard. Maybe trade down? I'm not sure if we've worked out these guys but I wonder if any one of these guys would fit well on the dubs. Daquan Cook, Alando Tucker, Morris Almond, and Derrick Byars. I think Tucker, Almond, and Byars would be more finished, "what you see is what you get" type of guys. That could be good or bad depending on where we plan to go now and for the future. We need productive role players who do a variety of things well on defense and can contribute some on offense. But, Daquan Cook really intrigues me if he has good one-on-one isolation skills and can play D.

20. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

It's Fazekas? LOL