AK47, Blocking Machine!

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by NTC, Nov 6, 2004.

1. NTC

NTC Active Member

Jesus christ, this guy is getting 5+ blocks a game!

Game #1: 16 Points, 6 Rebounds, 1 Assist, 1 Steal, 8 Blocks

Game #2: 14 Points, 5 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 1 Steal, 5 Blocks

Game #3: 16 Points, 7 Rebounds, 3 Assists, 3 Steals, 8 Blocks

I reckon he could be averaging over 4 blocks a game, and that defense player of the year award might be coming his way. [​IMG]

2. TheNextJordan8

TheNextJordan8 JBB JustBBall Member

True but did you see his FG made and attempts.

3. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheNextJordan8:</div><div class="quote_post">True but did you see his FG made and attempts.</div>

better than Melo's but holy crap(3/13) he needs to work on his shooting. I bet Jerry Sloan is going to get on him about that.

4. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheNextJordan8:</div><div class="quote_post">True but did you see his FG made and attempts.</div>

In the first 2 games he was shooting 62.5% from the court. This is his first bad shooting game this season, and he still got to the line 14 times and scored 16 points. He's more of a defensive player than an offensive too, making Carmelo shoot 3-20.

5. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

AK has to be one of the nominees, if not winning the Western Conference Player of the Week. He is probably playing some of the best defense in these first 3 games as we have ever seen. He is averaging 7 blocks per game in three games, that might be a record for a three game stretch? If he keeps this up, we'll have to say move over Hakeem in afew years.

Here is a question for everyone, how many blocks do you think AK-47 will average for the season?

6. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

Obviously, there's no way he can keep up his current pace. I'll guess ... 3.2 blocks per game.

7. NTC

NTC Active Member

Yeah he wont keep going how he is, but I reckon he could be up around 4.0, but i'll say 3.8pg, 21 blocks in 3 games is damn impressive though, hes averiging 6.?pg at the moment.

8. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Seven blocks a game right now. And even with that shooting performance, he's shooting 44.8 percent.

The only knock on him maybe is that he isn't getting as many rebounds or assists as last year, but they're not too far off, and it's early in the season anyway.

My prediction for the season is 3.5 blocks a game.

P.S. Forgot to add - it's amazing, but he still wouldn't come near the All-Time per season blocks leader, former Utah defensive great Mark Eaton, who blocked 5.56 shots a game in 1984-1985, with 459 total blocks. I don't remember anyone ever getting close, with Olajuwon at 4.5 during the 89-90 season and Mutumbo at 4.5 in the mid-90s.

9. jbb94ftOfTherapy

jbb94ftOfTherapy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Stockton:</div><div class="quote_post">In the first 2 games he was shooting 62.5% from the court. This is his first bad shooting game this season, and he still got to the line 14 times and scored 16 points. He's more of a defensive player than an offensive too, making Carmelo shoot 3-20.</div>
    AK didnt make Carmelo shoot 3-20. Melo just messed up and had a bad game. but who doesnt.

10. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

7.0 blocks per game is very impressive,If you looks at Utah's played games then you can see their offense is great (104 points per game) but then you see how much they have let opposite teams score ( 80 points per game) and then you look how much Kirilenko has to do with other teams scoring.
    7 blocks per game-around 15.3 points for the other team (I don't know how much 3-point attempts has he blocked)
    104-80=24-15=9
    You can really see how his defense has helped Utah.
    I think he's gonna average around 3-4 blocks per game.

11. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting boogieman470:</div><div class="quote_post">AK didnt make Carmelo shoot 3-20. Melo just messed up and had a bad game. but who doesnt.</div>

Was Kirilenko guarding him? His long arms would bother lot's of people's shots. And he probably blocks more jumpers than anyone in the league.

12. BallerAK47

BallerAK47 JBB JustBBall Member

^ Yes he was

13. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">AK didnt make Carmelo shoot 3-20. Melo just messed up and had a bad game. but who doesnt.
    </div>

When you got AK47 gaurding you I dont blame you for shooting 3-20, but it happens right the whole quincidence and all you got one of the best defenders on you and guess what you shoot 3-20 but it isnt because of him.

14. 30 standing ver

30 standing ver JBB JustBBall Member

I say he gets about 3.2 bpg, cause it would be very difficult to average 4 blocks at the 3 spot. Wouldn't that set a record or something for somebody playing the 3? Cause I'm not sure what Ralph Sampson did, but the was 7'4. But they had Hakeem blocking the most shots still since he was playing center.

15. Stockton

Stockton JBB

The best thing about AK47 is that he doesn't just block the opposing SF's shots. He blocks anyone, regardless of size. He has long arms and good jumping ability, and blocks shots in many ways. He is altering games defensively, and as time passes he will only become more of a defensive presence.

16. brad_jones007

brad_jones007 JBB JustBBall Member

I think part has to do with the defensive schemes run by Jerry Sloan. How many of Kirilenko's blocks have been on men/positions that he was guarding? It seems like Boozer does the dirty work bodying up and pushing to the weak side, allowing Andrei to float on drives and come out of nowhere to get the blocks.

17. flamehead

flamehead JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I think part has to do with the defensive schemes run by Jerry Sloan. How many of Kirilenko's blocks have been on men/positions that he was guarding? It seems like Boozer does the dirty work bodying up and pushing to the weak side, allowing Andrei to float on drives and come out of nowhere to get the blocks.</div>

true, but since it works fine, why bother. u mean to tell me blocking ur teamate's opponent shot is wrong? the effecient tandem of boozer/kirilenko has already proven to show results.and concerning andrei, i say about 3.3 blocks a game. boozer can also stuff some shots too u know

18. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

AK had an off night, he only got 5 blocks [​IMG]

As brad_jones007 mentioned it is partly due to the type of defense Sloan runs. It is a type of man to man with helpside defense until the ball is passed into the paint, then AK runs and double teams the post player. It is similar to what they did with Stockton in the 90's, instead of going for the block, Stockton would swipe for the steal. This type of Defense is great if you play it right, basically you have to have alot of faith in your teammates to help you especially if you are the double guy (AK or Stock) and if you get caught where you can't recover.

19. og15

og15 JBB *********

He's relying to much on his shot blocking and even allowing players to get past him so he can come a swipe them from behind. AK is a mean guy, but he's having a great blocking output.

20. Miami's Finest

Miami's Finest JBB JustBBall Member

AK-47 lives up to his name.