Politics Al Franken accused of sexual misconduct

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Rastapopoulos, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
  2. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  3. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Not-The-Greatest Generation

Lanny and SportsAndWhine like this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

That looks like the air guitar of gropes.

Lanny and Chris Craig like this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  6. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    I doubt it. but who knows. Seems more like a joke picture (he was a comedian) and the skit is something that I assume she participated in but in retrospect she didn't;t want to kiss him. That's just not the same. But, If it turns out he forced his kiss, well that would be bad and should be repudiated. I'll listen to what else comes out.

7. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    There is always more to the stories than we initially hear (and we almost always have people who go right into their fighting positions for both).

It will be interesting to hear the whole story (I don't want to believe it, but I have to give her the benefit of the doubt). It's also interesting to note how often certain allegations don't make the news or disappear. Take the accusations against George Takei. Not a lot has been made about them.

I just hope that nothing happens to Tom Hanks or Denzel Washington.

8. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Well there are a couple things to take into account on many of these accusations. One of the biggest to me, was the age of the people. If it's like Spacey or Moore, and they were doing stuff with teenagers, even consent isn't enough. Also, was it something that just made them feel awkward or was it something forcible. We also should look at power dynamics. Basically, I'm saying that all these accusations are not equal regardless of their veracity. Take Spacey and C.K., I think the accusations for both are bad, but C.K. isn't accused of doing anything to kids, and C.K didn't touch anyone. Basically both may fall under the umbrella of "bad" but that's a pretty huge umbrella. There is little moral equivalency between what Spacy did and what C.K. did.

9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I agree. It's still bad, but an alleged unwanted kiss isn't as bad as an alleged unwanted sexual advance against a minor.

Just don't get why either happen.

10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    It's sad that we're getting into ranking these things. Of course, there IS a ranking (from fucking a baby to looking at someone in a way that they don't like) but the trouble with this business with Franken is that it betrays an abuse of power. Now, you can point out that clearly he didn't think what he was doing was that wrong if he actually ASKED for it to be photographed, but does that make it better or does that in itself show that he normalized objectifying this person (and probably lots more)? Also the kiss business is pretty damn serious sexual harassment.

12. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
  13. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    well we don't even know yet what it means by unwanted kiss. Did he grab her and force a kiss or was it like when I was in acting class and we had to do scenes and I kissed for the scene? I don't know yet but at this moment I'm not going to condemn him. And I have not been so quick to believe every other allegation without contemplation either. I personally think it's fine to say, "I don't know who to believe yet." I think it leads to mccarthyism if accusations are all that's required. There is a huge push in the media and by the twitter world to believe all accusers first. I think that's just as scary as believing those who have been accused first. There shouldn't be some truism as to who to believe. You listen to the accusations and listen to the accused and then make a judgement based on facts, or even gut feeling after being open minded to either outcome. Of course for the law there needs to be hard evidence but for the every day Joe, we should at least be thoughtful and contemplative.

14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Fair question from a garbage person:

Chris Craig and dviss1 like this.
  15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Did you force your tongue into your acting partner's mouth against her will? I hope not.

16. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    No, and I hope that's not what Al Franken did either. I don't know yet. If that is what was done, then he should be roundly condemned. But, if he wrote a scene that included a kiss, and she participated then felt like she was pushed into the scene, well thats a much blurrier line. Both could possible from the accusation. One would be horrible, and the other would perhaps be icky, but not even in the same ballpark.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  18. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Also, who's to say that in retrospect the women I did scenes with didn't feel compelled and "forced" by the nature of the situation. We were being graded and high grades were given for showing vulnerability. So, if i have an acting partner and recommend a scene, and she says "i'm not sure" and I respond "come on, it will be perfect for the class, the professor will love the vulnerability we show in this scene", she could acquiesce and later have felt that she was forced unto the situation. I may have never had an inkling of what she was thinking.

19. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    The funny thing is, the Left is in a bit of a quandary here. On the one hand, liberals are supposed to believe in redemption. Not the "come to Jesus" bullshit, but actually redeeming yourself by confronting yourself and acknowledging you did wrong and must change. That's part of why we oppose capital punishment and are in general in favor of reform as the justification for punishment, and thus allowing inmates to take college classes, etc. And these are people who may have raped and murdered people.

But on the other, we want to acknowledge that a lot of what went on before was just out-and-out wrong, and creeps and lechers need to go DOWN as a lesson for all.

Wonder how all this is going to shake out. Maybe Tim Hardaway senior can be a model, although of course all he did was SAY homophobic things.

20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'