Al Jefferson

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, May 28, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Jefferson has a future in the NBA. Unlike most players that are bigger than the competition, Jefferson works hard at getting position instead of standing around in the paint hoping for the ball. He is very confident in his offensive skills. He has nice footwork, soft hands and uses the glass well.

It?s pretty rare to see a post player take on the role as the vocal leader. Jefferson isn?t afraid of shouldering that responsibility. He is an intelligent player and helps his teammates understand their individual roles on the team. He?s a fierce competitor that will do whatever it takes to achieve his goals.

Jefferson does lag a bit in transition. That could be accredited to his added weight. He?s not a ?fat kid? as some have put it. He?s just a really solid player. According to his coaches, Jefferson?s added weight has slowed down his jumping ability. They said that in times past, the big man was always dunking on defenders in the paint. Now, he uses the glass and plays a little more sheepishly. A workout program will do him some good in order to tone his body out.</div>

<font size="1">Full Profile cortesy of NBA Draft Net.</font>

Just throwing up a name or two. I know Jefferson has a lot of upside, but the 12th pick may be a bit high for him as it stands, although strong workouts can change everything. Maybe an option if we trade down, although he does lack polish.

The weight issue concerns me somewhat, too, but as I said I'm just throwing up a few names.

2. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

I've seen Jefferson play live last year, and the weight issue honestly isn't as big as it is made out to be. It's not of Chris Marcus or James Lang proportions. However, I wouldn't even think about him at #12. There's so much talent that will still be available. Jefferson has the potential to be an All-Star, but there's not too many first rounders who don't. It's just a matter of work ethic, and that's something Jefferson reportidely lacks.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

^ Thanks Wave, and fair enough. The McDonalds All American game was the only time I saw him play (and that was just a no-defense dunkfest), so I thought I'd throw his name up and see what the reactions were, especially those who know a bit about him.

4. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

Looks like the next Zach Randolph to me. I wouldn't mind having him, but I wouldn't expect him to do anything for a while.

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Al Jefferson was also in Philly today, and he really have them something to chew on with the way he played. He has an NBA body already at the age of 18, with the potential to add on a lot more bulk to go along with some of the nastiest post moves you will find out of any big man in this draft. He still has a ways to go in terms of understanding basketball situations, but with his confidence and physical attributes he seems like one of those rare youngsters that could actually get playing time under Jim O?Brien. The fact that he measured out at a legit 6-10 with a massive 9-2 standing reach really helps him, and some NBA people are saying that him playing a bit of Center isn?t out of the question either. Eddy Curry with a mean streak is the comparison that seems to come up most often. Jefferson moved up to 9th spot on our mock on Tuesday night.</div>

Full Story courtesy of Draft City.

From a guy who was projected to go late first round, he is really heating up at the right time. It's not a stretch by any means to say he'd be there at 12. Exactly what we're looking for - a big body who stays close to the basket and has a mean streak. Might not contribute straight away, but I'd hate to overlook him for the sake of selecting someone who can contribute less, but sooner, as we already have Collison to come in.

6. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">It's just a matter of work ethic, and that's something Jefferson reportidely lacks.</div>

Every single source I've read said Jefferson was one of the hardest workers in the draft. That why I like him.

7. Chucksta

Chucksta JBB JustBBall Member

Jefferson reminds me of Amare... Not the style of play but that much talent that will slip in the draft... I consider him a serious contender for ROY... Seriously, his HS stats are better than those of Dwight Howard...

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

His HS stats read 43 points, 18 rebounds, four assists and seven blocks per game, but I'm assuming his competition wasn't all that crash hot.

It all comes down to whether or not management are prepared to take a risk on this pick. If not, we migh as well trade the pick, as there aren't going to be many ready made players at 12 - Snyder doesn't fill a need and is too high at 12, and I think we could trade down if we wanted Humphries or Araujo anyway.

9. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

Draft Jefferson or Humphries. We need some toughness down on the block, and those two have it flowing from their ears.

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

My source (a writer for supersonics.com) tells me we haven't worked out Jefferson yet, at least according to his list of invites, but we are supposedly quite high on Ramos and have supposedly sent numerous scouts to see him play in Puerto Rico.

11. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I haven't heard too much about this Ramos guy but what I have heard are good things. The 12th pick is confusing the hell out of me lately so I don't know if hes lottery quality or not. It's a crapshoot no matter what, so hopefully the Sonics' scouts make the right call.

12. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

If I were Rick Sund I would draft Sergei Monya at #12 and try to pick up a servicable big man in the second round (Ales Chan from Seton Hill/David Harrison). With Monya you have a shooting guard who is ready to fill in immediately as a back up shooting guard/small forward. That would give the Sonics the insurance to shop Ray Allen in hopes of getting a legit power forward.

13. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I watched the Live NBA Mock Draft by Andy Katz and Chad Ford on ESPN.com and this is what they had for the Sonics...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    [​IMG] ESPN.COM NBA MOCK DRAFT: (2:55 PM ET ) With the 12th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft, the Seattle Sonics select Al Jefferson.

[​IMG]ESPN Insider Chad Ford: (2:55 PM ET ) This was a tough call. Sonics are trying to trade their pick. Could've also been Kirk Snyder or Rafael Araujo, but the word is that they're fond of Jefferson.

Casey San Diego: Why A. Jefferson and not Snyder at 12

[​IMG]ESPN.com Senior Writer Andy Katz: (2:57 PM ET ) The Sonics do love Jefferson. They look at Jefferson as more of a face-up scorer than a back-to-the-basket scorer. Snyder is a possibility here but they still are stocked on the perimeter with Barry (for the time being) and Allen. </div>