Aldridge Pounding Away

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shapecity, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As the players continue to prepare, on-the-court, for training camp, which is less than a week away now, there is a player in the Trail Blazers' weight room who is chomping at the bit to get back on the floor. Rookie LaMarcus Aldridge, the second-overall pick in June's NBA Draft, is battling back from shoulder surgery, and is making tremendous strides.

We've talked so much about the players who are participating in these daily pick-up games at the team's facility, I thought it was time to update the progress of Aldridge. As we watch the great scrimmages going on, Aldridge can usually be seen through a large window, where he positions himself many times to be able to workout, and watch his new teammates play. He'll occasionally walk out to the court and take a seat, and maybe watch a game, but then heads right back into the sweat shop to continue his work.

Soon after he underwent surgery in Los Angeles, the team's doctors set a time table for his return to full-contact play. These are usually conservative estimates, and the original thought was that Aldridge could be back by mid to late November. I reminded him of that estimate on Wednesday after he had finished his ab workout.

"I'm definitely ahead of schedule," Aldridge told me. "I'm feeling great, and it's killing me not to be able to out on the floor running with my guys. But, I know what I have to do."

It was only a couple of weeks ago that LaMarcus couldn't lift his right arm over his head, because of the surgically-repaired shoulder. As I was asking for an update, he demonstrated his current range of motion.

"A week ago I couldn't even do this," Aldridge said, as he stuck his long arm into the air. "I can't tell you how far this thing has come in the last few days. It was getting a little frustrating, not being able to do much with my shoulder. Now, I'm fired up because I'm seeing some big-time progress," he continued, while raising his arm up and down.

Not being able to participate in the action on the floor has had it's positive aspects for Aldridge. He's been able to concentrate on working the rest of his body, particularly his lower body. His rehab sessions with trainer Jay Jensen, and daily workouts with strength coach Bobby Medina have been extremely valuable.

"We've looked at this as an opportunity to really work on LaMarcus' lower body, and his core," says Medina. "He's been running now, and he's been rehabbing in the pool a lot. I'm not worried at all about his upper body. That will come. There are so many games, once the season begins, that we don't have much of a chance to really do leg work with the players. We've really wanted to get him a great base, and work on flexibility."</div>

Source

2. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

you guys need a new poster boy for the Trail Blazers banner now that Bassy is gone. how about Brandon Roy? he's your most exciting player now.