Allen Calls Bowen A Sissy Defender

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Shapecity, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">SACRAMENTO, Calif. ? Bruce Bowen, not surprisingly, did not agree with the comments Seattle guard Ray Allen made about him following the Spurs' victory Thursday.

"I understand the persona on the court," Allen said. "He never likes anybody, but what he does is sissy basketball, the way he cheap-shots."

Allen scored 22 points, but missed 9 of 12 shots when Bowen was primarily responsible for guarding him in the first half.

"If I'm a sissy, doesn't that mean he's running over all me?" Bowen said before Friday's game in Sacramento. "But, hey, that's his opinion. That's part of life. You're entitled to your opinion."</div>

Official Link:
    http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla...200&xlc=1125376

2. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

Bowen is not a sissy, Bowen is a smart veteran player to make Allen miss 9 of 12. I may be cheap but he's effective enough to stop an allstar

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">Bowen is not a sissy, Bowen is a smart veteran player to make Allen miss 9 of 12. I may be cheap but he's effective enough to stop an allstar</div>

I disagree with this. I'm all for putting a guy off his game, but I think Bowen went over the top a bit. It takes a lot to unsettle Ray Allen too, remember he's the reigning Sportsmanship winner.

4. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

Haha, Bruce Bowen is one of the best defenders in the league and definitely a lockdown type defender. If he was sitting their punching him and not getting flagrants and the like, I can understand, but he didn't do much anything that would have caught the attention of a referee, so I think we can all just live with it.

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Why should someone be hit with a foul for slapping a guy on the wrist, but can get away with throwing a knee or an elbow in? Bowen is a great defender, but I think he goes over the top at times. Just ask Wally.

6. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

Bowen isn't too intense, just a great defender, imagine Artest if he was like Bowen. Not as good right, he simply plays. I've found Ray Allen myself to be a very nice, courteous, respectable and humble person, I'd never expect those kind of remarks from him.

I think it should be let go by both of them. They shouldn't be affected by this on or off the court. Things like professional sports are very hard to cope with so it's a controversial subject. I think both should apologise to one another, any form of behavior like that, at either side is wrong, period. Except maybe the KMart Maggette and KMart 'Zo matters.

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Allen is right, Bowen is a very frustrating player to play against. He will do everything in his power to make your life a living hell. Will stick to you like glue, wil hand check you on many plays. Although I feel Ray went over the top in some of his comments. Bruce Bowen is a guy no one likes to play against. He is the kind of player who can get you so mad you would consider trying to knock him out.

However off the court he is a very nice guy, as is Allen so It's surprising to see the statements that were made.

8. Joel-33

Joel-33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">I disagree with this. I'm all for putting a guy off his game, but I think Bowen went over the top a bit. It takes a lot to unsettle Ray Allen too, remember he's the reigning Sportsmanship winner.</div>

Man..how the HECK can a player go over the top???..I mean how did bowen go over the top??..By defending his man not letting him score??...You big GIRL...I am a B-Bowen type defender i really get on my mans nerves...Make them miss silly shots if he wants to hit me let him...At the end of the day..If you think your "all-star" worthy you should be expecting the L's best D-Boys to want to lock you down....Ray allen is a GIRL..Why make remarks when the game is over...?..If you gonna cus someone make sure you do it to their face..If he's calling bowen a sissy he needs a slap..Bowen is a great defender..I dont care..Dont be hating cos he locked yoursweet boy ray ray man down.."Basketball is a mans game" MANS GAME...Got it?

9. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

They probably just caught Ray immediately after when he didn't have time to cool off. It falls under the question.....Just because you have the right to do something, does that mean you should do it? What Ray is probably talking about is alot of the off-the-ball hand checking that a lesser known defender would be called for. He needs help from his teammates if it's getting to this level of frustration.

10. jbbCourtVision

If Ray can't handle it then he is being a sissy. If they are not calling fouls on Bruce Bowen for handling Ray like he did then I consider Bowen a good defender. A defenders job is to get under their opponents skin a la Dennis Rodman. Ray saying these things is just venting frustration and the next time he plays him he will play harder than before.

Being a Sonics fan I understand where you are coming from because I feel the same way about my players but......this game is physical, if a player can't take it and he has to moan to the media then who is being the real sissy?

11. worldchamps9903

worldchamps9903 JBB JustBBall Member

bowen is a great defender remember when kobe had that 9 game tear wher he scored 40+ points? well that all stopped when they put bowen on kobe. so yes bowen can stop a all star. he stopped kobe right?

12. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Not a smart move telling people that the way a person defends you gets you frustrated now all Brue Bowen is going to do is be more phsyical with him which is just going to frustrate him more & more teams are going to start using the same methods. I always knew in Bucksville that Ray hated the phsyical style of play thats why he didnt go to the basket alot. George Karl called him on it a few times. Ray has to stop acting like a pretty boy & get more dirty. If bowen wants to play phsyical then Ray should get a little phsyical. He should attack the basket more against Bruce. If the refs see Ray attacking the basket aggressively against bruce then bowen will start picking up more fouls.

13. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting worldchamps9903:</div><div class="quote_post">bowen is a great defender remember when kobe had that 9 game tear wher he scored 40+ points? well that all stopped when they put bowen on kobe. so yes bowen can stop a all star. he stopped kobe right?</div>

Uh, if I remember right Phil Jackson just asked Kobe to start being a passer again. Before that, they were missing Shaq and Jackson asked Kobe to carry the scoring load, which he did. I remember that was when Shaq came back, Jackson said they would go back to their usual offense, and he wouldn't be able to score as much. He accepted that, but I still don't remember him having a bad game. Bowen is a great defender no doubt, but he isn't the reason the 40+ thing ended.

14. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

I thought Kobe scored 40+ points against SAS, but he shot 40+ shots also. Correct me if i am wrong.

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">If Ray can't handle it then he is being a sissy. If they are not calling fouls on Bruce Bowen for handling Ray like he did then I consider Bowen a good defender. A defenders job is to get under their opponents skin a la Dennis Rodman. Ray saying these things is just venting frustration and the next time he plays him he will play harder than before.

Being a Sonics fan I understand where you are coming from because I feel the same way about my players but......this game is physical, if a player can't take it and he has to moan to the media then who is being the real sissy?</div>

I'm not disputing the fact that the game is physical, in fact I admire Bowen as a defender. I just don't like the off the ball stuff; the knees, elbows, he tried to trip Allen a couple of times. Granted a guy like Bowens' job is to get under his opponents skin, but I don't think those sorts of things are really necessary. You can play physical and get under a guy's skin without getting dirty.

16. jbbCourtVision

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not disputing the fact that the game is physical, in fact I admire Bowen as a defender. I just don't like the off the ball stuff; the knees, elbows, he tried to trip Allen a couple of times. Granted a guy like Bowens' job is to get under his opponents skin, but I don't think those sorts of things are really necessary. You can play physical and get under a guy's skin without getting dirty.</div>

I disagree with that. I think you have to be somewhat dirty to be a good defender. I hate to beat a dead horse but Rodman was the dirtiest player but he was considered a great defender because he took players minds off their games. I do agree that it is not fair to play that way but I do not take anything away from Bruce Bowen. He did what he had to do to keep Allen under wraps and he was successful.

17. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">I disagree with that. I think you have to be somewhat dirty to be a good defender. I hate to beat a dead horse but Rodman was the dirtiest player but he was considered a great defender because he took players minds off their games. I do agree that it is not fair to play that way but I do not take anything away from Bruce Bowen. He did what he had to do to keep Allen under wraps and he was successful.</div>

Maybe to an extent. In the playoffs two years ago, Brent Barry came off the court with scratches down his arms and torso after being guarded by Bowen. Being dirty is one thing, but there has to be a cut off point.

18. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting worldchamps9903:</div><div class="quote_post">bowen is a great defender remember when kobe had that 9 game tear wher he scored 40+ points? well that all stopped when they put bowen on kobe. so yes bowen can stop a all star. he stopped kobe right?</div>

2/25/03: One of the great scoring streaks in NBA history came to an end... Kobe Bryant settled for 32 points, failing to reach 40 for the first time in 10 games and failing to reach 35 for the first time in 14 contests... With his remarkable streak of scoring -- at least 40 points in 9 straight games--
    - got that off a website, your comment made me want to go do some research on that.

Kobe was asked to be a scorer, and that was when the streak began. at the end of the streak, Shaq was back and Phil asked Kobe to start passing it again , so the streak ended against the Clippers. The Lakers didn't play San Antonio again until about a month after the streak had ended. He did however score 44 on Bowen. Bruce is a great defender, but I do agree he does some pretty dirty things.

19. jbbCourtVision

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">Maybe to an extent. In the playoffs two years ago, Brent Barry came off the court with scratches down his arms and torso after being guarded by Bowen. Being dirty is one thing, but there has to be a cut off point.</div>

I can agree with that. Being dirty is one thing but being malicious and violent is another. Bowen is still a great defender

20. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">I can agree with that. Being dirty is one thing but being malicious and violent is another. Bowen is still a great defender</div>

Not doubting Bowen is a great defender because he is, but I think he went over the top against Seattle. As I said, it takes a LOT to unsettle Ray Allen.