Alonzo Mourning..us a dark-horse?

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by mike18946, Jul 8, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">An intense bidding war for the services of Alonzo Mourning could be coming to an end soon. The Mavs were thought to be the front-runners for weeks, but the latest intelligence has Mourning also seriously considering a return to the Heat. Mourning sounds more inclined to work something out with Miami now that they've landed an extra $4 million under the cap.

"I think we could get a ring here given the situation that's happening as far as us attaining more flexibility in the free-agent market,'' Mourning told the Sun Sentinel. "They got $11 million now, and they could sign myself and another significant player if they want that to happen.''

It's not quite that easy. To get that cap room, the Heat are going to have to waive Mourning. If he takes $5 million (his take with the mid-level exception) the Heat will be left with only $6 million. That won't be enough to lure the type of free agent the Heat want to land.

A real dark-horse in the Mourning race is Detroit. Mourning is convinced his best shot at getting a ring is by staying in the East. Like several other top free agents, Mourning has identified the Pistons as being the up-and-coming team that could get him there.
    </div>

I don't want him..too risky spending money on this guy..considering how much he has been off....

2. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

i'd be surprised if the Pistons signed him. he should stay with the Heat

3. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

another guy going to the pistons :roll: . jp allnet

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sportsrock37":</div><div class="quote_post">another guy going to the pistons :roll: . jp allnet</div>

IT IS THROUGH A DAMN ARTICLE.........

5. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post">IT IS THROUGH A DAMN ARTICLE.........</div>

touchy... why wouldnt you want Zo... he isnt gunna get a big pay check if he signs with Detroit... and the Docs cleared him... it doesnt mean hes gunna play like 1 game then sit for the rest of the year... he would help the PIstons by giving them another big man to contend with the West...

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I just think it would be very risky...and spending 4.5 million on him...we have enough big men..i want us to sign a scorer..or make a trade for one...zo might not be the answer..but if zo CAN get back to what he was..him and ben would be amazing on defence

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">touchy... </div>

Just annoys me when people on this board,,mention the bull of "another player going to pistons" when it all comes from the god damn god articles..not me....i just post it..

7. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

I want him on the Pistons more than Howard.

8. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Its all a huge gamble. Mourning and Wallace playing defense together downlow would make all the big-shot Western Conference power players nervous- even shaq would have to raise his eyebrows at the wall of defensive skill, intensity and muscle those two would throw around.

However, its all a moot point if Mourning can't play at least 25 effective minutes a game whne the playoffs role around. I'd say its worth the gamble when you consider that the Pistons are a young team and should be better by the nature of experience and the already added Darko and Delfino.

Even without using the MLE, they've added experience and talent to a 50 win team. A healthy Mourning could push them over the edge (although can anyone expect to compete with the Lakers if they sign both Payton and Malone...they'd be the Red Wings of the NBA), can you say the same about Howard? Definitely not, but at least you know he'll play and there's something to be said for adding a guy who is injury insurance as opposed to an injury waiting to happen.

9. slamduncan21

slamduncan21 JBB JustBBall Member

which ever team signs him is obviously taking a risk, but teams seem to be willing to take it. the pistons could certainly use the rebounding