Already starting to like Wright

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Jun 28, 2007.

1. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Don't worry, when I die I checked the box to donate my heart to you.

j/k

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I thought he was clearly the #3 guy in the draft (upside put him ahead of Horford just by a hair), I know I'm not theo nly one either, Voodoo Child likes him too and others who've seen him play. I know a lot of peopel are turned off by him werighing 200 lbs but in our system the weight isn't as important as if he was playing elsewher, he can get up to Bosh or a young KG weight in a year or so. Mind you hes only 19 and hes not built like a 40 year old like Oden, give him a year or two to grow up and he'll be fine.

The guy is a deer, freak athlete, NUTS wingspan, great feel for the game. Great finisher, alters a lot of shots, has great touch and some good post moves. Still a bit raw and maybe a few years off from being a starter but he can contribute immediately, especially in our system. Guy scored very well even playing alongside great teammates at UNC. Hes a much better rebounder than his numbers indicate IMO, he just got outdone by his partner in crime, Tyler Hansbrough.

4. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, weight is not an issue because Nellie wants his guys lean and mean. Lets hope he puts on about 20-30lbs of lean muscle mass...

5. The Legend

The Legend Legend of JBB..

I don't know why some of you Warrior fans do not like this deal? Yes, I understand you guys love J-Rich. But, this is the best possible deal GS could have gotten. They got a possible #3 pick for Jason Richardson. When the management was about to trade Ellis to the Hawks for the #11. I personally find you guys really smart and lucky, you just landed a really good player.

6. Warriorfansnc93

I am excited, I just hate to see Jrich go. I would HATE this trade if Jrich had been the 23ppg scorer and explosive finisher he was over a year ago...

7. Legacy

Legacy Beast

I'm starting to get over it too plus I have been a UNC lover and Brandon Wright does look impressive. I just hate how Mullin gave JRich the low blow. [​IMG]

8. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Legacy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm starting to get over it too plus I have been a UNC lover and Brandon Wright does look impressive. I just hate how Mullin gave JRich the low blow. [​IMG]</div>

UNC players always end up better than Duke players...[​IMG]

9. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Legacy Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm starting to get over it too plus I have been a UNC lover and Brandon Wright does look impressive. I just hate how Mullin gave JRich the low blow. [​IMG]</div>

Its a business, he did his job IMO. The way I see it we robbed them, Steven A. Smith agrees so maybe I'm nuts though.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm sure I'll like this guy. You know me... when something happens and I don't know much about it... I just go to the worst possible conclusions and freak out.

This guy's footwork is pretty outstanding for his age I've heard. I never bothered to research him because I never thought he'd go to the Warriors in the first place.

Maybe it was also a reaction in repsponse to ganking Jrich out of another playoff run by sending him to the Warriors East (pre-Indiana trade). But who knows if the Warriors themselves can make another run. We were barely an 8th seed that beat a team that Don Nelson used to coach and the MVP of the league happened to stink at the right time. We've got to be a playoff lock. Chris Mullin may have gambled right.

11. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Its a business, he did his job IMO. The way I see it we robbed them, Steven A. Smith agrees so maybe I'm nuts though.</div>

Yeah, when Smith started his rant he said something bad about Mullin, but then I realized he was saying basically how bad he thought Mullin raped MJ on this deal by adding $40m to their roster. Oh well, time will only tell if Mullin found another victim. It seems like Mullin's singings have been very questionable, but no one can question his track record on trade deals...

12. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, when Smith started his rant he said something bad about Mullin, but then I realized he was saying basically how bad he thought Mullin raped MJ on this deal by adding $40m to their roster. Oh well, time will only tell if Mullin found another victim. It seems like Mullin's singings have been very questionable, but no one can question his track record on trade deals...</div>

Not to mention hes got a good eye for talent drafting Biedrins, Monta, Taft (I liked him before he killed his back), trading crap for Zarko (also killed his back), signing Barnes and Azu. Ike is still up in the air and POB/Kosta are still up in the air but that was a horrible draft. Oh and Nellie knows a thing or two about drafts as well.

13. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Not to mention hes got a good eye for talent drafting Biedrins, Monta, Taft (I liked him before he killed his back), trading crap for Zarko (also killed his back), signing Barnes and Azu. Ike is still up in the air and POB/Kosta are still up in the air but that was a horrible draft. Oh and Nellie knows a thing or two about drafts as well.</div>

[​IMG]

That is why I was more excited about our 2nd rounders than our 1st rounder. I was a little disappointed we gave up our 2nd rounder who was 6'11" and then only ended up with a 6'7 "shot blocker"...

14. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

OMG look at his arms. Yes they are thin, but they are so LONG. He has a chance to be alright. But I really don't know.

15. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

You guys raped Bobcats off with that deal. You guys got an uptempo player in Brandan Wright and plus yall got rid of Richardson's contract. Brandan Wright has excellent talent which will help this team in the future. Good Trade [​IMG]

16. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    I think we just got a Brad Daugherty type of player. If he turns out to be thay guy, I think it'll work out well.

17. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, not that this means anything, nbadraft.net posted the top 50 prospects from this draft and Wright is number 3 and the Italian is number 10. I don't see the third guy on the list though. http://nbadraft.net/2007prospects.asp

The Warriors love to draft in 3's (JRich, Murphy, Arenas/Dunleavy, Welsch, Logan/Ike, Monta, Taft). Hopefully this one pays off.

18. Run BJM

The trade was definitely agreed to before the draft started so the Bobs took B. Wright at the request of Mullin. Still doesn't answer our question of whether Muilly wanted Yi more but he claims that Wright was the guy they were targeting.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Michael Jordan went looking for the go-to scorer the Charlotte Bobcats lacked in their first three NBA seasons.

Jason Richardson
    Richardson

Guard-Forward
    Golden State Warriors

2007 Season Stats GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
    51 16.0 5.1 3.4 .417 .657

Unable to make those shots himself from the front office, the Bobcats' part-owner -- who has the final say on personnel moves -- pulled off a draft night trade Thursday that he hopes gives the team what it's been missing.

The Bobcats acquired swingman Jason Richardson from the Golden State Warriors for North Carolina's Brandan Wright, the eighth pick in the draft. Charlotte also got the Warriors' second-round pick, forward Jermareo Davidson of Alabama, more than two hours after Jordan selected Wright.

Now Richardson will try to turn into the late-game scorer the Bobcats need.

"Can he be a Michael Jordan? We're not expecting him to be," Jordan said. "Can he be a piece that helps us finish ball games a lot better? Can he give us a little more firepower on the offense end? Yes."

With the 22nd pick, the Bobcats took forward Jared Dudley of Boston College.

Richardson, a five-year NBA veteran, averaged 16.3 points last season but missed 31 games due to knee injuries. He averaged more than 19 points a game in the playoffs, when the Warriors upset top-seeded Dallas in the first round. Richardson averaged 23.2 points in the 2005-06 season.

The Bobcats had inside information on Richardson from general manager Rod Higgins, who was hired last month after three seasons with the Warriors. Richardson developed in Oakland after being chosen with the fifth pick in the 2001 draft.

"He'll blend in, but more importantly he's that guy who wants to score the ball in the clutch," Higgins said. "He's a terrific player, a terrific human being."

The move also means the Bobcats will take on a big salary, as Richardson is owed $51 million over the final four years of his contract. Charlotte's $41 million payroll last season was the lowest in the league.

The Bobcats have often struggled late in games in getting off shots, something they hope Richardson will change. He'll also lessen the impact if leading scorer Gerald Wallace, an unrestricted free agent, is not re-signed.

But Jordan, who became part owner last year, said the Bobcats anticipate re-signing Wallace.

"I fully expect him to be here," he said. "I hope we can come to some understanding."

The Bobcats had spent the past several days trying to trade both draft picks. They settled on the Richardson deal just before the draft began.

"We wanted a veteran player that we felt could be a go-to player and create his own shot and shots for other people," Jordan said. "We had some other scenarios that gave us that, but by far this is the best. We're very happy with what we did."

When the Bobcats picked Wright, they were actually picking for the Warriors since the trade had already been done.

"I'm pretty sure a lot of Carolina fans were very happy when we drafted him, but that wasn't our pick," Jordan said.

The 6-foot-9 Wright, who left school after his freshman season, had been considered a top five pick until late, when his stock slipped, partly because he weighs only 205 pounds.

Wright, an athletic shot blocker with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, is considered a rising talent, but the Bobcats were looking for an immediate impact after going 33-49 last season. New coach Sam Vincent said they anticipate making the playoffs next season.

Dudley, the Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year, averaged 19 points and 8.3 rebounds as a senior. At 6-7, 225 pounds, Dudley is a rugged player, but some question his athleticism.

He'll provide the Bobcats with depth at power forward, where Sean May has played in only 58 of 164 games the past two seasons because a right knee injury.

"We didn't take Dudley with the idea we're going to replace May," Jordan said. "We went in there with the feeling that this guy can hopefully compete with May in getting on that floor."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press</div>

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2920330

19. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

This is daylight robbery. Stupid MJ. The league needs to veto this trade.

20. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Looks good to me!