Analysis of Defense

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by UKRAINEFAN, Dec 7, 2016.

1. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Willy Raedy breakdown: Here are some of his conclusions and he backs them up with stats:

"The most striking number is that of the midrange attempts. These are the shots Portland is trying to force, but they’re down 4.6 percentage points. That might not seem like a big number until you look at the ranking. Despite an overall bad defense, Portland was elite at forcing long 2-pointers last year. Their biggest strength has become a weakness.
    Compared to last year, teams are attacking Portland more frequently in isolation and out of the pick-and-roll. They’re almost dead last in both categories. Surprisingly, transition opportunities haven’t spiked despite the numerous face-palm plays running through my head.
    Look at that cut (defense against) number -- 1.57?! That’s not just last, it’s far and away the worst. The next closest is the lowly Brooklyn Nets, at 1.38. Portland also has the ignoble honor of being dead-last against off screen actions as well.
    McCollum’s inability to defend off screen actions is particularly alarming.
    The entire bench of Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Ed Davis, and Meyers Leonard is getting worked one-on-one. They’re all in the bottom third in defending isolation plays." (although there seems to be some hope for Leonard: "Not only is Leonard defending the pick-and-roll better (see below), he’s also allowing a paltry 40.3 percent at the rim.")
    http://www.blazersedge.com/2016/12/6/13852822/portland-trail-blazers-defense-statistical-analysis

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Leonard's strength has always been at the rim. That's why it is confusing when Stotts continues to play him as a stretch-4.

Orion Bailey, DUB, BonesJones and 3 others like this.
  3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    QFT

Seriously

4. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

With the way our defensive effort has completely turned around, I can't help but feel like this analysis is too relevant.

5. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Pretty sure he is going to do it again tonight. Leonard plays Gasol well though so we will see. I agree wit hyou though. If Leonard ever wants to solidify his career beyond his current contract... get in the paint and be a five!!!

6. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I thought I'd go with a pictorial analysis:
    [​IMG]

Nikolokolus, UKRAINEFAN and TBpup like this.
  7. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

He didn't solidify anything tonight except for the turd he left on the Grizzlies court.