Anatomy of a meltdown

Discussion in 'St. Louis Cardinals' started by truebluefan, Apr 28, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The St. Louis Cardinals could have the best record in baseball and, at the least, would certainly have the best record in the National League Central if not for one niggling detail.

That pesky ninth inning keeps ruining things.

Darn that Ol' Abner.

The Cardinals lead the majors with six blown saves this season, and their sixth came against the team right behind them with five blown saves, the Houston Astros. The Cardinals have more blown saves than they have saves (four) to start this season. While that stat is certain to right itself given time the same fact is true for the bullpen that was true for the offense in that first week of the season (!): The Cardinals don't get a mulligan on April losses.

"I didn't make the pitches I needed to make," said closer-in-training Mitchell Boggs, who got tagged with his first blown save of the season in Tuesday's 6-5 loss here at Houston. "This happens. It's not like I've never had any failure before. Everybody in here has."

Boggs' blown save was a multi-faceted bungle.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...cle_82fcff04-70f2-11e0-a659-001a4bcf6878.html