Another Critical Summer Looms For Sonics

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Shapecity, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As the final games tick off the Seattle SuperSonics? schedule and the curtain begins to close on the 2005-06 season, the specter of yet another busy summer comes into view.

With the exception of 2004, every offseason of the past decade has been a crossroads of sorts for the Sonics, with their decisions and execution playing a key part in the future of the organization.

This summer, it is becoming clear, will be no different, now that the team has reshaped its roster and feels reasonably good about where it stands in the Western Conference.

The first, and perhaps most important, piece of business will be to make a decision on coach Bob Hill. The Sonics have an option to retain Hill for another year, and it seems likely they will exercise that option, if for no other reason than to retain flexibility.

The second piece of business will be the NBA draft on June 28. The Sonics will find out at the May 23 draft lottery where exactly they will pick. Like every non-playoff team, they hope to win the lot- tery and take a player like Adam Morrison, who they think would fit perfectly in their uptempo system, which places a premium on scoring.

If they do not win the lottery, they are still likely to get a top-10 pick, which could net them Duke?s J.J. Redick, another excellent perimeter shooter.

After free agency monopolized much of last summer, it should not consume as much of the Sonics? time this year when the period opens July 1. Their only true free agent is newly acquired Chris Wilcox, who is restricted, which means the Sonics can offer him anything and match offers from other teams.

Wilcox?s agent, Jeff Fried, said his client thinks Seattle is the perfect fit and would like to sign a long-term deal.

?Chris really enjoys it. He likes the guys, he likes the coach and he thinks there is the foundation to make a run for things,? Fried said. ?This year it may be difficult, but with a missing piece or two, he certainly is optimistic for the future.?

Fried said the Sonics were one of three teams they wanted Wilcox to go in trade. The Clippers would not deal him to Phoenix and nothing could be worked out with Golden State. Seattle, Fried said, turned out to be the best possible place for him.

Fried said he sat down with Sonics general manager Rick Sund two weeks ago to lay a foundation for future negotiations. Fried declined to say in what salary range he thinks his client should be paid.

Sund said it is too early to say what the team?s plans are for Wilcox this summer, though he did say, ?I like the guy. He is a restricted free agent. I am optimistic we can work something out.?

Last summer, the team signed Vladimir Radmanovic, Reggie Evans and Ronald Murray to one-year deals after the sides were unable to reach agreements. Negotiations with Wilcox should go more smoothly.

The team probably will not tell Wilcox he has to find another deal to set the market, as it did with its restricted free agents last summer. The Sonics will likely make a multi-year offer to Wilcox and leave it to Wilcox to choose between potential and security, between two and five years.

Meanwhile, Rashard Lewis said he is planning to opt out of his contract after next season. But that could be superseded this summer when the Sonics offer Lewis a contract extension, as seems likely.

Because the rules of the collective bargaining agreement are still unclear, it is not known if the Sonics can offer Lewis a two- or three-year extension.

However, they can offer a raise of 10.5 percent on the $10.9 million salary he is due next season, meaning Lewis is in line to earn a minimum extension of $25.25 million over two seasons. That would keep him in a Sonics uniform until 2011, when he will be 31.

In Miami last month, Lewis said he would be open to such an offer.

?If they want to sit down and talk extension, then I am willing to do that,? Lewis said at the time. ?I am all ears. I am just going to listen to what they offer me and we will go from there.?

The Sonics also are likely to offer extensions to Luke Ridnour and Nick Collison; both players? rookie contracts expire at the end of next season.</div>

Source

2. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If they do not win the lottery, they are still likely to get a top-10 pick, which could net them Duke’s J.J. Redick, another excellent perimeter shooter.</div>

No.

3. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sir Desmond:</div><div class="quote_post">No.</div>

I agree. Do you think we should pick up Brandon Roy if we have the chance?

4. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

There's really no immediate need for the Sonics, as they're two deep in every position except shooting guard. They should probably just take the best player available. I could see us drafting somebody like Roy, Mardy Collins, or Ronnie Brewer.

5. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Depending on the draft pick I could even see us taking someone like Rudy Gay. After watching him play the last two years there is no doubt in my mind that he is NOT ready to be an instant impact player in the NBA. He is an extraordinary athlete with very ordinary skills.

Given the fact that we could potentially have a top 3 pick, if Gay was still on the board I think that he would benefit greatly from sitting behind two All Stars in Ray and Rashard. He could be worked in slowly and if Sweet Lew decides to bolt in 2007 then we would have a guy who could potentially be a viable replacement.

If we draft lower a guy like Roy would be a solid pick. I don't remember the last time that we took a guard with our first pick in the first round though. Doesn't seem to be Rick's MO. This draft is so weak I can't even really name 5 players that I think could help us in years to come. Morrison, Gay, or Roy. Otherwise trade the pick for a future first rounder.

6. odde23

odde23 JBB Not A JustBBall Member

I am failing to see how having talent like Aldridge or McRoberts wouldn't help us in years to come. Even high flyer Carney would be a nice pick. I see a large amount of talent in what you are refering to as a shallow draft. I think there will be some very nice players picked in the second round. Allan Ray and Pops for example have a good chance at being solid NBA players. Names like Ben Wallace, Udonis Haslem, Matt Bonner, get overlooked every year. Well, why not J.P, Batista? I honestly think that the lack of high school phenom's is the only reason people are calling this draft week. It looks good from where I sit.

P.S. IMHO i think the only reason Morrison and Reddick where the only players mentioned in the above article is because Hughes has taken note of our appearant, recent racial bias in the draft.

7. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Another player from this year's draft that I'd love to have is Randy Foye. He would be an excellent back up for Ray Allen and I can imagine him being able to play some back up point in case either Luke or Earl would sustain an injury.

As far as Aldridge and McRoberts, why would we be looking for another young unpolished big when we already have three very young and very promising big men on our roster--and that doesn't even include the already solid Nick Collison.

At this point, assuming that Wilcox comes back into the fold, I would much rather be looking at a perimeter swing man than any other position in the draft. On the basis of need, that seems to be the priority.

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Is Aldridge even coming out?

9. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

It's going to be hard for him not to since he's projected as a top three pick. Not many players turn that down.

10. Roland Hood

Roland Hood JBB JustBBall Member

I would love for us to get Brandon Roy. He's really proven to me this year and during this stretch run that he's not only a prime time talent but he just knows how to play, and he has that 'make guys better' quality.

I think he's overlooked because he's not overly flashy and doesn't wow anyone with windmill dunks and so forth. But he's a tough defender and rebounder, good handle with a wicked cross-over and spin move, can find the open guy, knock down the college 3. I see him measuring 6-4 in the pros though - a smaller Richard Jefferson - so he'll probably end up a 2 with some spot time at the 3.

I'd rather have him over Rudy Gay, maybe we'll find something about them on Thursday [​IMG]

11. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Roland Hood:</div><div class="quote_post">I see him measuring 6-4 in the pros though</div>

...what? I've walked by him plenty of times. I'm close to 6'6" and we're the same height.

12. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

It'd be cool if you guys drafted Allan Ray.