Another day, another loss after a win

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">SEATTLE (AP) -- Tired and short-handed, the Memphis Grizzlies picked up their most resilient victory of the season.

Dahntay Jones made a one-handed 14-footer with 6.6 seconds left, and the Grizzlies held off a late Seattle rally for a 100-96 win over the SuperSonics on Saturday night.

Jones scored after Bobby Jackson appeared to travel. Jackson drove the lane and missed an underhanded layup badly. He grabbed the ball out of the air and passed to Jones, who leaned in and hit the shot to put Memphis ahead 98-94.

Officials said Jackson's shot had been partially blocked, but on television replays, the shot appeared to be untouched. Afterward, Seattle's Rashard Lewis said he got a finger on Jackson's shot.

Lewis made two free throws with 3.3 left, but Jackson made a pair with 2.9 left for the final margin.</div>

Yahoo.

Geez this is disappointing. No Stoudamire and the Grizz were tired, yet we let them steal a tight game down the stretch in our building. Takes a lot of gloss off the Nuggets win, given we couldn't then consolidate in a game we really should have won.

2. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

Bob Weiss officially needs to be fired. As soon as possible. The team is in complete disarray on the court and off. The players obviously can't govern themselves, so we need somebody strict to come in and right the ship, although it may not be possible until next year at this point.

3. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

I don't think that Weiss is going to get fired anytime soon. Wally and Howard needed a guy who would follow what they say, and Bobby is the perfect guy. So... as much as the Supes need a more disciplined coach, I don't think it is going to happen. This so called "management" has ruined this franchise.

4. Roland Hood

Roland Hood JBB JustBBall Member

Reminds me of the Westphal days, which sucks when you really think about it. Weiss clearly doesn't have the respect of the players, which is paramount.

I heard Shaq say (or Wade, can't remember) that Pat Riley just has a 'presence', when he walks in a room you know it.

Weiss is the anti-Riley - no presence, no charisma, no respect.

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Roland Hood:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I heard Shaq say (or Wade, can't remember) that Pat Riley just has a 'presence', when he walks in a room you know it.

Weiss is the anti-Riley - no presence, no charisma, no respect.</div>

I think that was always going to be the downside of hiring a coach that got along really well with the players and was recommended by all. It's all well and good when the team is winning, but when it's not, who do we have to get the team into line?

Even Nate had that persona about him, where if he spoke, the players listened.

6. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting monty001:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think that Weiss is going to get fired anytime soon. Wally and Howard needed a guy who would follow what they say, and Bobby is the perfect guy. So... as much as the Supes need a more disciplined coach, I don't think it is going to happen. This so called "management" has ruined this franchise.</div>

What has management done to hurt this franchise?

As much heat as the front office took for trading G.P. and D-Mase I don't think that you will find too many people that would argue that the Sonics haven't gotten the better of the deal.

The draft picks that the Sonics have acquired within the past five seasons (w/ the exception of Swift and Petro) have all been significant contributors to the success of the franchise. The free agent acquisitions have all made an impact--including those who were undrafted free agents. The patience that management showed with Nate McMillan enabled us to go from a marginal team to one of the elite teams in the league last season.

With so many integral parts of this team up for free agency last season I think that management made a wise decision keeping a familiar face around to run the ship. Had they gone in another direction many players would be unsure of their status on the team and I'm sure that many of our free agents would not have returned to the team this season--even those on qualifying offers.

Has Bob done a good job this season? No. He is better suited as an assistant coach b/c as much as our players would like to believe that they can police themselves--they can't. We don't necessarily need an iron fist running the ship but at the same time we need much more than a paper fist directing this inconsistent team this season.

Do I blame management? Absolutely not. We have maximized the talent on this roster considering the barriers that this franchise has with the financial burden of the Key Arena lease. Nate was offered a fair extension and he turned it down. Who else was a more qualified candidate on very short notice to run this team? Doug Collins? Paul Silas? Those two names do not scream coaching stability right there--and I'm sure that their asking prices might have far outweighed their value.

We should have beaten Memphis yesterday just like we should have beaten over half of the teams that we've lost to at home this season. I don't think that any rational Sonic fan thought that we'd be a better team this year after losing Nate, BGJ, Dwane Casey, and Dean Demopolous but at the same time I'd hope that we'd be able to be a mid round playoff team this season.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will be in the hunt for a playoff spot this season but at the same time I'm not going to blame management for the missteps of the players or the passiveness of the coaches. Rick Sund knows when to turn the heat up on Bob and I give him credit for being patient enough to wait and see how well our team is progressing. It is obvious that we've made some strides since the beginning of the season (when we were getting pummeled on the road by inferior opponents) but I know that he'd like us to be in a better position than what we currently are.

Look for us to make a trade before we get rid of Bob Weiss. These losses has toughen Bob up some and I'm confident that he'll eventually know what buttons to push to get us back into playoff contention. If he can't, Rick will know when to tell Howard and Wally about the terms of Bob's severance pay.

7. M_Cage89

M_Cage89 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">What has management done to hurt this franchise?....If he can't, Rick will know when to tell Howard and Wally about the terms of Bob's severance pay.</div>

Great post Shiek - couldn't agree more. I think one of the biggest mistakes the mgmt team has made was actually offering Vlad that deal last summer, which in his pure idiocy, turned down for what I believe will be our ultimate benefit long term - got away with a hanging curve so to speak. Most of their moves have been really solid I think considering the hand they've been dealt in many situations.

The absolutely nuts thing, is that we are still totally in the hunt for the #3 seed - 1 1/2 games out to be exact. Winning 7/10 would likely put us in first place and a game above .500 - a crazy thought considering how bleak things have looked in many games.

8. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

Last year the free agent players had virtually no power at all. All they could do was listen to the coach and try to earn PT in his system to stay on the floor and show what they can contribute.

This year the FA's have a coach they feel that they can walk all over and the ability to veto trades. Only Reggie Evans seems intent on showing what he has to offer and earning his paycheck and a contract next season. Vlade and Flip seem to focus on what they want rather than what the team needs which is the opposite of what they, Ray Allen, BGJ and AD did last year.

The backup point situation is not management's fault. No one knew that Brunson was going to go down in training camp and he would have shored up that spot, though I doubt that he would have excelled like AD did last season.

I think that Luke is playing like he still has a shot blocker in the middle, and he doesn't. This showcases the weaknesses on defense of Luke, Ray, and Flip. Using Damien more at the 1 and 2 may help the perimeter defense and free up more minutes for Vlade.

I don't think Weiss HAS to go now, but somebody better kick these guys and remind them that it was desire and passion that got them 52 wins, not just their talent.