Another Grant Hill comeback

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by GatorsowntheNCAA, Mar 19, 2003.

1. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

Doctor: Magic's Hill will play again

By Jerry Brewer | Sentinel Staff Writer

The fourth surgery on Grant Hill's left ankle went as planned Tuesday, but the Orlando Magic forward must wait a while before doctors can predict a timetable for his return.

After his operation at Duke Medical Center in Durham, N.C., Dr. James Nunley said Hill should play again despite the trauma of this fourth and most invasive procedure.

"We found no reason why Grant Hill will not be able to play basketball again for the Orlando Magic," he said.

"His bone had good strength and good blood supply, and we felt good about how the surgery proceeded. Although I feel like he will play basketball again, there is no time frame at the present to when he will be able to return to play."

Nunley's surgery consisted of two steps.

He looked at Hill's troublesome anklebone and decided to remove three screws, replace them and connect the new screws to a steel plate.

He also removed some bone graft material from a previous surgery and added a genetically engineered material, which helps make bone form, to assist with the healing.

Then, Nunley broke Hill's left heel and realigned his left leg, which is believed to be the root of these ankle problems.

Hill will remain in the hospital for a few days before returning to Orlando.

Nunley will monitor his progress and later decide how long before Hill can put weight on the ankle.

"There didn't appear to be any surprises during surgery," Magic General Manager John Gabriel said. "The no news was the good news."

Jerry Brewer can be reached at jbrewer2@orlandosentinel.com.

2. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

and another sit out. *YaY*

3. GatorsowntheNCAA

i wish grant hill woulda just retired and get a buyout, so that we could max out 1 fa this offseason.

4. Mel JBB

Mel JBB JBB Webmaster

such a shame that an injury completely changes his whole career. a healthy Grant Hill and TMac would've been fun to watch....get beaten by the Lakers in the finals...

5. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

i think he's done, although i wish he would stay, he'sa superstar but i think he should retire

6. jjdaman20

jjdaman20 BBW Member

4th ankle surgery....that should tell u somethin if u r on ur 4th surgery and have missed 200 games in 3 seasons....

7. GatorsowntheNCAA

yeah, he has been a major disappointment. he has said that this is his last go around though, so hopefully he can play a whole season. it's sad to see a good guy like grant have to go through this injury.

8. Frank

Frank JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "sportsrock37":</div><div class="quote_post">i wish grant hill woulda just retired and get a buyout, so that we could max out 1 fa this offseason.</div>

Yeah I think he should just retire too.

But I imagine, for him, it’s awfully hard to walk from the game when you feel like that maybe you were robbed by injuries from what he could have done.

9. GatorsowntheNCAA

he's glad it's ncaa tourney time, so we can see his pass to christian leatner, 30 million more times