Antonio Tarver (26-4) vs. Clinton Woods (41-3-1)

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by speeds, Apr 1, 2008.

1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>ANTONIO TARVER

“I’m getting too old to go 12 rounds. I can only go four. I’m not going to waste any time. I’m going to go in and take him out. I’m not at an age to be tussling for 12 rounds.

“At the end of the day, there will only be one man standing and that’s what it’s all about. By the end of the year there will be only one. I’ll get all the belts.

“I’ll make sure everyone gets what they pay for. This will be a great fight. It’s rare you get two main events on one fight card. This will be the March Madness, the Super Bowl of boxing. This will be the best.

“God has blessed me, I feel very blessed. I wish I could have fought (Jeff) Lacy, but you can’t make a man fight, but this fight came to me and I feel blessed. I will own all the titles by the end of year. Write that down.

“This is going to be a tough fight for me. He’s coming after my belt. I’m going to need all of you to come out and support me. Make no mistake about it, I’m gonna knock him out!

“I’m going to punish Woods for the lack of respect that I and my entire team received in London.”

CLINTON WOODS

“Tarver hasn’t fought anyone. He has had a short acting career and I’m here to take his belt.

“Since he came to England all he did was talk trash. All I did was talk trash back. He needs to stop being such a diva. He will have a reality check on April 12.

“I’m sure it will be a long hard night for Tarver. I will do whatever it takes to beat him. It will be a great fight for the crowd and those watching on SHOWTIME.

“I can’t wait to get in the ring and kick his butt!”</div>

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>In the main event of Showtime's TNT double-header, Antonio Tarver attained yet another alphabet title to add to his showcase by defeating IBF Light Heavyweight Champion Clinton Woods via unanimous decision. The fight started off with Woods trying to figure out Tarver, while Tarver was the aggressor, landing clean left counter uppercuts to the straight-forward Clinton Woods, as well as a few straight lefts. As the fight progressed, Woods would pick up the pace and attempt to bring the fight to Tarver with short combinations and body punching, but round after round, it seemed like
    that wasn't enough. Woods was throwing punches and trying to pressure Tarver, but Tarver was working with a lot of angles, using clever defensive footwork, setting traps while countering Woods with left uppercuts, and hitting him flush with lead left hands.

In the 11th round, Tarver gained even more control when he landed a stunning left hand that momentarily dazed Woods, but the proud fighter from the United Kingdom showed his heart and his chin by throwing his hands up in the air, waving Tarver in for more, and then backing him into the ropes towards the end of the round in a fight that up to that point had been a tactical battle. The 12th round was more of the same, with Tarver trying to close the show, landing huge left-hand bombs on Woods, keeping him on the defensive until the final bell.

Official Scores: 116-112, 119-109 and 117-111, all in favor of current IBO Light Heavyweight Champion and new IBF Light Heavyweight Champion Antonio Tarver.</div>