Any interest in trading for John Collins now?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Jun 26, 2022.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

https://theathletic.com/3381311/2022/06/24/kirschner-hawks-nba-draft/?redirected=1

Before the draft started, I reached out to someone close to Collins who said they felt 50-50 on the power forward remaining with the Hawks past Thursday night but that “he won’t be a Hawk past this summer.”

The truth is no one across the league who I’ve spoken with believes Collins will be on the Hawks’ opening night roster. The unfortunate reality is Collins and his family are left in limbo as they await what feels inevitable. It’s become an all-too-familiar situation for Collins several years running now. Every trade deadline and every offseason the question has always been: Is this when Collins gets traded? Whether or not you believe Collins can be an important player in the Hawks’ title pursuit, it does feel a little sour that, for someone who has always been clear about wanting to be in Atlanta, those feelings aren’t reciprocated even after he signed a five-year, $125 million contract last offseason. The money is obviously nice, but feeling wanted and appreciated is equally important.

It’s obvious that the Hawks view one of their pathways to getting better as trading Collins. Everyone expects it.

“He’s done in Atlanta,” a source close to Collins said.

I don't really think he fits this roster anymore, but apparently the Hawks really want to trade him. I know people like to think Grant can only play PF, but he has the size and speed to guard SFs. Besides, I don't really want Grant and his 4 rebounds per game playing PF fulltime.

We don't really have many pieces to move any longer. Maybe a package of Bledsoe + Keon + future pick (if we remove protections by negotiating with Chicago). Think we could also explore moving Hart if we're confident Shaedon can play 15-20 mpg this year to maximize his value before he becomes a free agent.

Do we want that?

Dame
    Ant
    Grant
    Collins
    Nurk

2. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Depending on the price, I'd go for it. I'm sure they'll get a better package elsewhere. But I like the idea of being much bigger than we have been recently.

3. illmatic99

and collins can also backup at Center, allowing us to keep a minimum contract scrub as third string C (like Eubanks, etc) instead of splurging on Bamba and the like.

I know I'm talking myself into it, but he would bring a pick and pop threat that we don't currently have on the roster. And some sorta ability to post up a bit if we really need it.

4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Sure I am interested in Collins but I think the Blazers like Sharpe too much to include him now. The Hawks should have been more aggressive before the draft.
    So I am guessing that the offer from the Blazers is now less than before the draft.

Natebishop3 and SharpesTriumph like this.
  5. illmatic99

i don't think we'll trade Sharpe at all. I meant trading Hart to open up PT for Sharpe.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I think both Collins and Grant best position is PF. If we add another forward I'd want a defender that has more mobility.

However if their asking price becomes low I'm fine with adding him. Slide Grant to SF at the start and also get Collins the backup 5 minutes.

EBEC, Keon, Little, conditional pick is my max. I wouldn't trade Hart for him.

7. illmatic99

Some possible packages that work financially:

Bledsoe + Keon + future pick

Hart + Winslow + Keon (i think this is too much).

Hart + Little + Didi (again, too much).

8. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I'd happily take Collins. I understand the concern about the fit next to Grant, but I like the depth and versatility that Collins could bring to our existing roster.

It would all come down to what the Hawks want.

blazerkor likes this.
  9. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

What a good question. Your package of Bledsoe, Keon, and future pick makes it a yes. I'm not good at guessing what other teams expect or what a player's value is (especially after the trades last season), but that would be the most talented roster we've seen since I can't remember when.

Obviously, there would be glaring problems with only one ball to play with. The ole zero role player starting lineup would seem destined to implode...

cheesehoff likes this.
  10. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

No one suggested we trade Sharpe for Collins. My question is why do the Hawks want to trade Collins so bad?

11. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Hart is an important, valuable , versatile player moving forward. I want John Collins to be a Blazer, but Hart is one of the key cogs, IMO, to building a title contender. I think any trade the Hawks get now, from any team, is gonna be for future draft comp., a young, unproven, player , and a player with an expiring contract like Bledsoe has. The Hawks have made their bed. Now they seem to be talking out of both sides of their mouth. " We want Collins, etc." But they've opened up a can of worms. I still think Collins will be traded by the deadline , or sooner. Can the Blazers be that team?

HailBlazers likes this.
  12. tykendo

Because apparently, Trae Young does. He has vastly ignored Collins as a passing target, since Capella arrived.

blazerkor likes this.
  13. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

What if....

Simons sign and trade to ATL
    Collins to CHA
    Bridges sign and trade to POR

14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

If Collins wants out of Atlanta because he wants to be a starter can Grant play full time SF? If not then why do we want Collins so bad just to put him and us in the same position?

15. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Are Trae and Dame the same player?

16. tykendo

NO! I've watched Dame grow as a facilitator. He gets the ball to the open man. The open man just hasn't always hit the shots. He also tries to get his big man involved early. Young has had blinders on to Collins since Capella arrived. Some of that is probably John's fault, but Collins is a top notch talent . Who needs a change of scenery. Dame is an underrated facilitator with incredible vision. His accurate , when smothered, cross court passes are overlooked by those who only sparenly watch the Trailblazers games. Even some in here don't appreciate that aspect of his game.

17. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

I’d run a smaller lineup with Collins at C and Grant as PF at times. And Grant at SF and Collins as PF at times. Nurk at C. There’s a lot of versatility there.

18. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Yes. Talent is a good thing

19. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

If only Neil hadn't totally F'ed us with the horrible protections on the CHI pick - what an utter fool

Natebishop3 likes this.
  20. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

So in summary, we all say yes, but not for anything valuable, lol.

SlyPokerDog, BBert and B-Roy like this.