Anyone Miss Gilbert Now?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by philsmith75, Feb 12, 2004.

1. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

After this latest 10 game stretch, signing Claxton and letting Gilbert leave looks like the start of the Warriors actually making good deals. I always thought that Gilbert was never going to be a true point guard who made his teammates better. He seemed to be shoot first, pass second and had this strange propensity to whine about calls to the referees while his man was scoring. In addition, it was Boykins who showed a talent for scoring big in the 4th, not Arenas. Yes Arenas contributed greatly to the Warriors slight rebirth last year and I commend him for that but I am so glad that the Warriors did not compound their salary cap problems by committing over $60M to Arenas.

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Gilbert is young he could be an impact player if he gets everyone involved. But no I do not miss him because he is not a true pg. he's a combo guard.

3. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

I loved Gilbert, and Earl. Shame we lost both, but Claxton is the pg of the future here. I'm glad that Gilbert and Earl are doing well. Hopefully the Wizards can stay healthy, and they'll be a contender next year in the east.

4. CANT STOP ME

CANT STOP ME JBB Probationary User

not resigning gilbert will be something warrior fans will regret for a long time

5. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting cArMeLo15:</div><div class="quote_post">I loved Gilbert, and Earl. Shame we lost both, but Claxton is the pg of the future here. I'm glad that Gilbert and Earl are doing well. Hopefully the Wizards can stay healthy, and they'll be a contender next year in the east.</div>

I miss Boykins more than Arenas. Good luck to him, but I do not miss his non defense playing a$$. I miss his scoring, but not him even though he was one of my favorites last year.

6. CANT STOP ME

CANT STOP ME JBB Probationary User

its only his 3rd year i think he will be a great player.

7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CANT STOP ME:</div><div class="quote_post">not resigning gilbert will be something warrior fans will regret for a long time</div>

Well for about $10M this year the Wizards have gotten an injured PG who has played only about what 65% of their games? Moreover, he has yet to do anything to make that team better. Arenas was and is a "me first" player. I would rather have a team of 5 Brian Cardinals than one with Arenas on it, especially at $65M.

8. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting philsmith75:</div><div class="quote_post">Well for about $10M this year the Wizards have gotten an injured PG who has played only about what 65% of their games? Moreover, he has yet to do anything to make that team better. Arenas was and is a "me first" player. I would rather have a team of 5 Brian Cardinals than one with Arenas on it, especially at $65M.</div>

I like how when he signed with them he guaranteed the Wizards would make the playoffs. Not gunna happen! He is a good player and someday may be a Marbury type player, but I would not want a Marbury on my team.

9. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

Boykins is a bigger loss to that team than Arenas. As well as Gilbert played last season, at times he was a detriment to the team. Earl came in off the bench, played a majority of the late minutes, and propelled GS to at least a handful of victories last year. Just add the Warriors to the list of teams that didn't know what they had with EB, they can join the Clippers and Cavs as brothers in stupidity. [​IMG]

10. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">Just add the Warriors to the list of teams that didn't know what they had with EB, they can join the Clippers and Cavs as brothers in stupidity. [​IMG]</div>

It's a different situation I guess, because the Warriors actually played him a lot and let him take the shots. He was discovered as a good player BECAUSE of the Warriors and Musselman's offensive system (and the green light that he gave Earl), so some credit should be given to GS for allowing Boykins to emerge and develop as a player. The only reason he got a big contract and signed somewhere else was because the Warriors didn't have enough cap room to keep him, and Boykins wanted more money so that he could be financially secure for the future. We can't blame him for that, and we can't blame GS either, because they DID try to keep him (which Cleveland and LAC didn't). We can just thank them for allowing Boykins to be discovered as one of the game's greatest energizers and bench players.

11. OgShowtime

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">It's a different situation I guess, because the Warriors actually played him a lot and let him take the shots. He was discovered as a good player BECAUSE of the Warriors and Musselman's offensive system (and the green light that he gave Earl), so some credit should be given to GS for allowing Boykins to emerge and develop as a player. The only reason he got a big contract and signed somewhere else was because the Warriors didn't have enough cap room to keep him, and Boykins wanted more money so that he could be financially secure for the future. We can't blame him for that, and we can't blame GS either, because they DID try to keep him (which Cleveland and LAC didn't). We can just thank them for allowing Boykins to be discovered as one of the game's greatest energizers and bench players.</div>

That's not necessarily true that the Clippers didn't give him playing time, he did see a lot of action when he was here and Jeff McInnis was injured. He looked great and I expected the Clippers to keep him around, but unfortunately they just let him walk. I don't understand why after letting Gilbert Arenas go the Warriors could not spend 20-25 million on Earl. If that's what it was going to take to re-sign him, they should have just shelled out the cash.

12. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">I like how when he signed with them he guaranteed the Wizards would make the playoffs. Not gunna happen! </div>Haha...I was going to bring that up too. [​IMG]

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss Arenas. He brought a lot of energy to the Warriors and it was amazing to see him develope as a Warrior. With that said, I agree with philsmith75. It is obvious to see that he is about himself first rather than the team. It is also obvious to see that he is money hungry. I would personally take a Speedy Claxton over Arenas anyday of the week. This guy hustles EVERY play and plays great defense.

It was also tough losing Earl Boykins but Cardinal has made up for his absence.[​IMG]

13. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Haha...I was going to bring that up too. [​IMG]

I would be lying if I said I didn't miss Arenas. He brought a lot of energy to the Warriors and it was amazing to see him develope as a Warrior. With that said, I agree with philsmith75. It is obvious to see that he is about himself first rather than the team. It is also obvious to see that he is money hungry. I would personally take a Speedy Claxton over Arenas anyday of the week. This guy hustles EVERY play and plays great defense.

It was also tough losing Earl Boykins but Cardinal has made up for his absence.[​IMG]</div>

He also took a paycut to a get a chance at starting point guard! [​IMG] More cap room equals more flexibility until a franchise player arrives.

14. thePHentity

thePHentity JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post"> I don't understand why after letting Gilbert Arenas go the Warriors could not spend 20-25 million on Earl. If that's what it was going to take to re-sign him, they should have just shelled out the cash.</div>

what? 20-25 million on a backup is ridiculous. we signed speedy for a 3 year $10 million contract. now that's reasonable, and now he's going to be a starter and we all love him. i love him more than earl boykins. sometimes, actually all the time in the warriors case, shelling out the cash just to keep a player is the dumb thing to do. the focus of the warriors wasn't gilbert or earl boykins, it's the three man tandem of murphy, dunleavy, and jrich. and now with claxton, we're going to have a good looking team in the not too distant future.

i'll tell you one thing i'm not missing about gilbert...those turnover averages. nice.

15. OgShowtime

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting thePHentity:</div><div class="quote_post">what? 20-25 million on a backup is ridiculous. we signed speedy for a 3 year $10 million contract. now that's reasonable, and now he's going to be a starter and we all love him. i love him more than earl boykins. sometimes, actually all the time in the warriors case, shelling out the cash just to keep a player is the dumb thing to do. the focus of the warriors wasn't gilbert or earl boykins, it's the three man tandem of murphy, dunleavy, and jrich. and now with claxton, we're going to have a good looking team in the not too distant future.

i'll tell you one thing i'm not missing about gilbert...those turnover averages. nice.</div>

He obviously would have been the starter if they paid him that kind of money. Denver had the luxury of being able to throw that kind of cash at him to play a back-up role to Miller, but GS could have easily made him their starting PG.

16. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">Boykins is a bigger loss to that team than Arenas. As well as Gilbert played last season, at times he was a detriment to the team. Earl came in off the bench, played a majority of the late minutes, and propelled GS to at least a handful of victories last year. Just add the Warriors to the list of teams that didn't know what they had with EB, they can join the Clippers and Cavs as brothers in stupidity. [​IMG]</div>

Earl gave them that quick spark off the bench providing much scoring down the stretch. He was the big 4th quarter guy who saved the Warriors season, without him, who knows what the Warriors record would have been last season. But I still think Arenas was more important to GS last year.

Now on to Gilbert Arenas. I thought the backcourt of Arenas/Richardson was going to blossom into one of the best backcourts in the league. Sadly, they couldn't hold on to Arenas. Gilbert was the exact point guard the Warriors needed IMO, he was an unselfish player, would do anything to make the team better, while at the same time, willing to take the big shots and wasn't afraid to shoot. This year if healthy with the Warriors, he would have easily been a 20 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists type player. Speedy Claxton was a nice addition to this team, but he simply does not bring what Gilbert brings. He hustles on defense and has gave the Warriors some good offensive production this year though. Realisticly, had the Warriors been able to hold on to Arenas, I could actually see them possibly taking the 8th spot this year.

Arenas-Richardson-Dunleavy-Jamison-Dampier

Of course if Murhpy was healthy, that lineup would look even more better, at least on paper. Then again, Cliff and Speedy have been extremely important to the Warriors this season' and probably wouldn't have been signed if Arenas got his big deal that he wanted.

17. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">I like how when he signed with them he guaranteed the Wizards would make the playoffs. Not gunna happen! He is a good player and someday may be a Marbury type player, but I would not want a Marbury on my team.</div>

Funny, cause I'd love to have Marbury on my team. 20ppg along with 8+assists a game, and he continues to amaze me on those 3 point bombs. This guy seems to have had his reputation really hurt, he's known as a selfish player and all that, but I love Steph. He's also one of the rare non-overpaid players on the Knick roster.

18. Custodianrules2

Arenas was unselfish?

19. OgShowtime

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">Earl gave them that quick spark off the bench providing much scoring down the stretch. He was the big 4th quarter guy who saved the Warriors season, without him, who knows what the Warriors record would have been last season. But I still think Arenas was more important to GS last year.

Now on to Gilbert Arenas. I thought the backcourt of Arenas/Richardson was going to blossom into one of the best backcourts in the league. Sadly, they couldn't hold on to Arenas. Gilbert was the exact point guard the Warriors needed IMO, he was an unselfish player, would do anything to make the team better, while at the same time, willing to take the big shots and wasn't afraid to shoot. This year if healthy with the Warriors, he would have easily been a 20 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists type player. Speedy Claxton was a nice addition to this team, but he simply does not bring what Gilbert brings. He hustles on defense and has gave the Warriors some good offensive production this year though. Realisticly, had the Warriors been able to hold on to Arenas, I could actually see them possibly taking the 8th spot this year.

Arenas-Richardson-Dunleavy-Jamison-Dampier

Of course if Murhpy was healthy, that lineup would look even more better, at least on paper. Then again, Cliff and Speedy have been extremely important to the Warriors this season' and probably wouldn't have been signed if Arenas got his big deal that he wanted.</div>

You're right Purple N Gold, Gilbert was a very good player for the Warriors. I'm still just a little upset that he took the same amount of money that the Clippers offered him to go play for the Wizards, I'm still trying to understand that decision. Especially since he remarked that he wanted to stay in California. [​IMG]Anyway, if healthy, he's definitely an impact player. But sometimes I think he played more for the name on the back of the jersey rather than the one on the front. Numbers aside, Arenas just has to mature a bit more before he can truly be the leader of an NBA team. He has great talent, there's no doubt about that, he's still somewhat of a selfish player though in my opinion.

20. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">This guy seems to have had his reputation really hurt, he's known as a selfish player and all that, but I love Steph. He's also one of the rare non-overpaid players on the Knick roster.</div>

Starbury is only the 9th highest paid basketball player. I think New York has Steinbrenner syndrome. Where is the flexibility to get a decent bench in the years to come?