Anyone Miss "Wedgie" Evans?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Shapecity, May 3, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Anyone Miss "Wedgie" Evans?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Truly, Evans missed. He is the inaugurator of the wedgie into the NBA. The man playing Evans is constantly forced to readjust his arrangement throughout the game.

As one NBA person said, "He just grabs their shorts and pulls it up their (rear end). I am not sure what it does other than completely (tick) the guy off."

That is Evans' game. He is in there to infuriate the opponent. Frankly, he is great at it.

Evans didn't enter the league like this. Early in his career, the Sonics were playing the New York Knicks and Kurt Thomas. Evans was stymied the whole night by Thomas' tricks.

After that, Evans started using his own tricks -- grabbing, pinching, holding. Whatever was necessary. When a defender was rotating to get to the shooter, Evans would grab hold of him for the split second needed either for the shot to get off or the ball handler to make his way to the basket.

The haranguing from Sonics opponents last season was constant. It became the loudest from the San Antonio Spurs in the playoffs. Most people thought it was about the play of Danny Fortson. Wrong. Evans was the one drawing the ire.

The propensity to flop makes Evans more infuriating. After he pulls every trick, including those well across the line, he flops the minute the opponent retaliates.

There is a real art to this. The key is Evans' ability to never give up that he is pulling off a charade during a game.

The problem with Evans in Seattle was that the tricks never ended. His own teammates at practices were not spared. On more than one occasion, Vladimir Radmanovic was the victim of Evans antics and completely blew his lid.

Evans' antics on Saturday night fit the mold of making your opponent wonder what insane thing he might do next. No differently than how opponents felt playing Bill Laimbeer, Dennis Rodman or Rick Mahorn.

However, as one longtime NBA person said, "It was the most low-rent thing I have ever seen in over 40 years of basketball."

Evans will eternally be labeled with that stigma. The spotlight will be on his antics. When the next Garnett or Scalabrine claims Evans didn't go after the basketball on the rebound, the claim will be believed.</div>

Source

2. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

Oh man...I caught that on the replay as well. I think Kaman reacted the way any Man would...no one likes being "grabbed" there......

Edit: I wonder what Craig Ehlo would have to say about that...

3. Roland Hood

Roland Hood JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] @ Wedgie Evans

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting monty001:</div><div class="quote_post">Edit: I wonder what Craig Ehlo would have to say about that...</div>

Probably something about how you always know when Kaman's balls are going in

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The problem with Evans in Seattle was that the tricks never ended. His own teammates at practices were not spared. On more than one occasion, Vladimir Radmanovic was the victim of Evans antics and completely blew his lid. </div>

Hahaha, I can just imagine Vlad busting some Serbian moves on him in retaliation. I do miss Reggie, but he'd still be out of the rotation.

5. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Gives new meaning to the hit single "Twist and shout."

With all of the suspensions that have been handed out this postseason I am utterly shocked that Reggie was allowed to play in Game 5 of that series. Kaman showed about as much restraint as anyone could under those circumstances.

I've played a ton of physical ball underneath the basket and never in my life have I thought about grabbing someone nuts to get a rebound. It takes a different cat to even think to do that and Reggie certainly fits that mold.

What a disfunctional team Denver had. Has there ever been a team with more marginally talented effort four men on their roster? Kiki deserves to be fired.

6. legendisdope

legendisdope JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As one NBA person said, "He just grabs their shorts and pulls it up their (rear end). I am not sure what it does other than completely (tick) the guy off."</div>

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

7. Roland Hood

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">What a disfunctional team Denver had. Has there ever been a team with more marginally talented effort four men on their roster? Kiki deserves to be fired.</div>

Yeah everyone knew they needed outside shooting and Kiki goes and gets Wedgie and Ruben at the trade deadline.

Not sure Karl's status but it's possible the 3 year window he usually gets before he wears out his welcome is up a year early.

8. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Reggie Evans. The definition of a terrible contract run in the playoffs: Not only did Evans fail to emerge from a three-man rotation that includes Eduardo Najera and Francisco Elson, he guaranteed himself a lifetime of "NUT GRABBER!" shouts and insults after that whole Chris Kaman grabbing-the-crotch-from-behind debacle, which the league apparently decided NOT to suspend him for because it was so over-the-top weird that they just wanted it to go away as fast as possible. Well, it's not going away. At the Clippers game on Monday night, at least five different people in my section held up bags of nuts and screamed at him any time he was within 20 feet. And that's his career for the next 10 years. He's the Nut Grabber. Welcome to hell, Reggie Evans. Welcome to hell.</div>

Sports Guy

9. monty001

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">Sports Guy</div>

Hahahahaha...[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Iron Shiek:</div><div class="quote_post">Kiki deserves to be fired.</div>

You freaky bastard you.

11. Roland Hood

Good ole' George.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"How about four?" he said. "Can we get a big man who can make a shot? Can we get a true shooter on a 3-point line? Maybe a scorer and a shooter? A penetrator?"</div>

I'm sure Camby and 'Dre are feeling great right about now.

As far as K-Mart's concerned, last I heard the Knicks were interested [​IMG]

12. The Reign Man

The Reign Man JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Roland Hood:</div><div class="quote_post">As far as K-Mart's concerned, last I heard the Knicks were interested [​IMG]</div>

True, the Knicks always have room on their roster for a head-case with a history of medical problems...

Poor Nate Robinson...

13. monty001

Man...the Nuggets have some nutcases (or should i say nut grabbers) on their roster. The duo of Patterson (we all know about his antics) and now Wedgie Evans...

just curious..do NBA players wear cups? They might require them next season...

14. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting monty001:</div><div class="quote_post">Man...the Nuggets have some nutcases (or should i say nut grabbers) on their roster. The duo of Patterson (we all know about his antics) and now Wedgie Evans...

just curious..do NBA players wear cups? They might require them next season...</div>

No I'm sure that violates the David Stern dress code.