Archived Ehlo Article

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Just ridiculous.

Lucky we scored 152 ourselves.

2. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Ridnour- 30 pts 11 asts and 6 rebs
    That's impressive.

3. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

Sure we gave up 149...atleast we won...haha thats all that matters. Now we'll lose another 4 before we win again...

4. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

lol, i loved the game even though we had poor defense...however, it was a W, eh?...

5. Roland Hood

Roland Hood JBB JustBBall Member

Only tuned in the last quarter and OT's - to be fair, we only gave up 126 in regulation. And at least we didn't give up 81 to anybody. [​IMG]

And how about Swift? 15-7 and a block. Petro had 5 boards in 19 minutes.

Nick only played 5 minutes though.

6. Roland Hood

[​IMG] @ Ehlo again. At the end of the 4th after Marion stole the ball down by 1 and races down the court for a dunk with 16 seconds to go - 'He shot that kind of early and gave the Sonics time to get a good shot'

7. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

No one is worse than Ehlo.

When they played Orlando last week Robert Swift was being congratulated for his play.

Ehlo: He's teammates love the effort and that is why he is getting so many hand shakes and back shakes on the bench.

I miss Billy McKinney terribly.

Getting back to the game, I actually find myself watching Sonics games just to see how much better Robert Swift is going to get. I don't want to get ahead of myself but this dude can play.

Outside of Dwight Howard he may end up being the best post player in that draft--and that includes Al Jefferson who I like a lot and Emeka Okafor. The light switch has turned on for Bobby and he seems to be able to be productive b/c he knows that the coaching staff has confidence in him. Once the team shows that they have confidence in him then I can see him being a consistent scoring threat for us. He can shoot and he has very good footwork for a post player.

I'm not saying that I think that he is ready to be a primary offensive threat but I also don't think games like he had yesterday are going to be a rarity for him. I was one to think he was at least another year away from contributing--if he was going to contribute at all. Kudos to Dave Pendergraft and Rick Sund for the foresight to draft both Swift and Petro the past two years.

And congratulations to Luke who seems to be finding his confidence again. Let's hope that a win like this isn't offset by a disappointing performance against Utah.

8. Roland Hood

lol @ back shakes. Maybe that's why we were thinking of bringing in 'Toine during the offseason.

McKinney and Calabero had some awesome chemistry, now I often think KC must be thinking 'WTF' sitting next to Craig.

As far as Swift, a couple times he got switched off onto Marion and Nash and they didn't blow by him. He moved his feet and stayed in front with his wingspan...uhm, spread /Ehlo. Granted they scored both times but I agree his footwork is better than I thought it was.

9. M_Cage89

M_Cage89 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Roland Hood:</div><div class="quote_post">
    McKinney and Calabero had some awesome chemistry, now I often think KC must be thinking 'WTF' sitting next to Craig.</div>

I feel for KC. It really is a slap in the face to the best play-by-play man in the league, IMO, to pair him with the worst color man in the history of the league.

For us its comic relief entwined with "you've got to be kidding me" head shaking - for Kevin it must be like nails on a chalkboard/somebody get me a drink/some technical difficulties would be nice - type feeling.

They should start printing Ehlo quotes on cigarette and beer bottle labels - it would be the best reminder of the effects of smoking/drinking while pregnant the surgeon general has to date [​IMG]

10. monty001

Billy and KC were awesome together...I also really like Marques Johnson and KC as well....I remember vs Memphis when he was talking about Jason Williams aka "White Chocolate"...

Ehlo: Yeah, he used to call himself Vanilla Chocolate...er...White Vanilla...no wait it was Vanilla Chocolate.

KC: Alright enough of the white Vanilla already...

11. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

What did you expect? The Suns real defense is their offense and they MAKE you play their way. And being the Sonics got some good pieces that could keep up with them(Luke, Shard, Ray) it was only more tempting. So they gave a shot and luckily they won. After all the Supes haven't been good on defense at all this year so I know your probably craving for a good defensive performance(take it from me, I'm a Sixers guy) and they just didn't give that defensive effort. But again, this is the Suns and they MAKE you play that way. Only elite defensive teams won't buy into that and instead rather make the pace a little more in their favor moreso than PHX. If you want to see some good defense wait till they play any other team except for PHX of course.

12. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

Archive Ehlo article

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Go 2 Guy: Ehlo takes crash course in broadcasting

By JIM MOORE
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER COLUMNIST

With the NBA's two best teams playing tonight at KeyArena, the Go 2 Guy takes a look at the most important issue for the Sonics as they face the Suns: Craig Ehlo's progress as a color analyst.

As you would guess, I refuse to criticize Kevin Calabro's latest sidekick because he's a Coug, and not just any Coug -- Ehlo nearly led Washington State to an upset of Ralph Sampson and Virginia in the 1983 NCAA tournament before embarking on a 14-year NBA career.

But from what I've gathered from colleagues and chat rooms, Ehlo has stumbled out of the gate.

Among the criticisms: Repeats Calabro, uses bad grammar, gets tongue-tied, has awkward delivery -- all of which is packaged in a Texan drawl, an unfamiliar sound to listeners accustomed to his predecessors, Billy McKinney and Marques Johnson.

Ehlo's struggles are more noticeable because he works with one of the NBA's finest play-by-play announcers.

"It's like you're the new bass player for the Rolling Stones," said one local broadcasting veteran. "You're going to suffer by comparison."

When FSN bought the rights to televise 71 games this season, Mark Shuken, the station's VP and GM, replaced McKinney with Ehlo after interviewing him and 11 other candidates, including Johnson.

Ehlo was mostly green, starting just a few years ago with broadcasts of Gonzaga basketball on KHQ in Spokane. That led to small gigs with FSN, broadcasting WSU games and a handful of other Pac-10 games.

He interviewed for the heck of it, wanting to see what the experience was like. And if it didn't work out, well, he'd have something else to put on his résumé.

"To tell you the truth, I wasn't planning on getting the job," Ehlo said.

Shuken hired Ehlo on potential, saying: "If you meet him and listen to him, he's got all the tools. Most fans appreciate what he brings. What he needs is repetition, more time to grow into the role."

Calabro had doubts in the preseason. Ehlo wasn't ready. It could be a long year for the Sonics and the broadcast team, he thought.

"But I kept an open mind," Calabro said. "Now I'm very optimistic about where the team is going and where Craig is going with the broadcast."

Ehlo recognizes his shortcomings and says he's getting more comfortable. On a scale of 1-10, he rated himself between a 3 and 5 at the start of the season, and a 6 or 7 now.

He's trying to be definitive and concise with his points. He's trying to get in and out without disrupting Calabro and the flow of the game. There's so much to remember that you can almost forget the most important thing -- to be yourself.

"I'm a Texas boy," said Ehlo, who grew up in Lubbock. Y'all need to understand that he's fixin' to get better.

"He's not gonna kill you with flowery language and he's not gonna quote Shakespeare," Calabro said. "He's gonna be himself and talk basketball. This guy improves with every game."

Ehlo, 43, now wishes he had studied broadcasting at Washington State. He left Pullman in '83 only to return in '99 to get 18 credits and earn his degree in general studies. At 37, he was in classes with teenagers.

"It was important," he said. "If I tell my sons or daughter to go to college to earn a degree, I didn't have a right to say that if I didn't have one myself."

Ehlo lives in Spokane with his wife and three kids -- Erica, 16; Austin, 13; and Gavin, 9. He has an apartment on Mercer Island but doesn't spend much time there. Ehlo's on the road or at practice, gathering information that will help him on the air.

"He works his butt off to make it happen," said FSN Sonics pre- and post-game host Brian Davis. "It's what I told you about Matt Hasselbeck three years ago. The kid needs time. By the end of the year, people are gonna be saying: 'Hey, he's pretty good.' "</div>

Link

This article was dated 12/17/04.

KC knew from the beginning. And like our Supes, I'm not sure if Ehlo is going to get any better.

A year and some change later the only thing that I am saying is that 'Hey, he is God-awful.' No one is worse than Ehlo.

13. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">"To tell you the truth, I wasn't planning on getting the job," Ehlo said.</div>

Wow, that's reassuring [​IMG] . Ehlo is so bad he has me wishing that we had Tom Tolbert.

14. Roland Hood

I propose we make this the official thread to list up idiotic Ehlo-isms after each game. Hopefully there's enough bandwidth.

What is it with the Sonics and force feeding us local golden boys?

15. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">Ehlo is so bad he has me wishing that we had Tom Tolbert.</div>

"I don't know much, but I do know that if you make all your shots, you're gonna win."

"Antoine Walker leads the league in 'no no no! yes yes yes!' field goal attempts."

16. monty001

Ehlo reminds me of the guy from "The 40 year old Virgin"...Steve Carrol. He looks a lot like him...I just started cracking up when I noticed.

17. Roland Hood

Utah game: 'There's one stat you can't measure on the stat sheet. Heart' [​IMG]

18. monty001

He said that like 5 times. haha...

19. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Roland Hood:</div><div class="quote_post">Utah game: 'There's one stat you can't measure on the stat sheet. Heart' [​IMG]</div>

What's wrong with that? I've heard it plenty of times before.

20. monty001

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Casual:</div><div class="quote_post">What's wrong with that? I've heard it plenty of times before.</div>

It's just funny the way Ehlo says it.

Actually last night I don't remember him messing up too much...he must be a regular on this forum.