Are Sonics underrated or....

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Semmi, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Semmi

Semmi JBB JustBBall Member

Every prediction and power ranking in every forum there is puts us into 30th or 29th place. Are we really so bad or are people underrating us because of the departure of Allen and Lewis? In my opinion we have a better chance this year than we had last year - and that is because we have a new coach and I think the team chemistry will improve. Last year Allen did what he wanted and wasn't playing for the team....that affected other players too (Luke) and we collapsed. Coach Hill couldn't handle Ray and it was awful season....that eventually landed us Durant and Green [​IMG]
    I know that we are far from play-off race in the west but I also don't think we will be the bottom feeders of the entire NBA.
    Also our redhead dragon will be back [​IMG]
    What do you think?

2. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

I'm trying to decide between OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

With our roster the way it is, the only team I can see doing worse in the West is Minnesota, and even they at least have a proven scorer in Jefferson (although it will be interesting to see how he goes in this conference).

Our only proven scorer at this level is a punk with no knees, and we're putting an awful lot of faith in two rookies. I support what Presti is doing because it needs to be done, but it's certainly going to be a long season.

4. Semmi

Semmi JBB JustBBall Member

Ok, it seems I'm over optimistic then....
    But nevertheless I'd rather watch this team rebuilding and having two great young prospects on roster than watch another season Allen jacking up threes like a madman and team without a goal. At least we have something to look for....

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

We also have a kid in Durant who will bring instant exposure.

6. Iron Shiek

Iron Shiek Maintain and Hold It Down

To be honest I think that we are going to be better than we were last year. For the simple fact that we will improve defensively and our coaching staff/upper management will not accept a losing mentality.

I don't think we will make the playoffs but I think that we will be able to make enough strides that we can stay around 35 wins.

Probably wishful thinking but I am becoming more convinced that this kid Presti knows what he is doing. I am also warming to P.J. as our coach. He seems to be a straight shooter.

7. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

If better is measured by effort and teamwork, then they'll be better.

8. dotmotion

dotmotion JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Casual Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm trying to decide between OJ Mayo and Derrick Rose.</div>

I like Beasley
    Seattle is in the West, so they would finish bottom 3 for sure

9. Shard

Shard Hi2u

<div class="quote_poster">dotmotion Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I like Beasley
    Seattle is in the West, so they would finish bottom 3 for sure</div>

If the Sonics took a F over a PG in this next draft I would scream. Mayo over Rose though.

10. dotmotion

dotmotion JBB JustBBall Member

I like Rose better.
    Maybe its cause I saw Mayo flop during the All-American after all his cockyness and i lost respect for him, while beasley tore up the game.

11. Gee_Dupe11

Gee_Dupe11 JBB JustBBall Member

I like Rose better as well

Rose is a beast

12. odde23

odde23 JBB Not A JustBBall Member

Any way you look at it this is going to be a tough season for the Sonics. So, here is why I am ordering the NBA package for my TV. These Sonics have absolutley no expectations to live up to. Individually, sure, but not as a team. This team is expected to lose and set up to lose. These young kids on the team though are going to break through every so often and stun a team that tries to breeze through here. Whether they win 10 or 40, each one should be a trill to watch. Heck, I am even going to stop throwing Ridnour under the bus (I was a big fan when he was in college) for the season and give him a chance to redeem himself.

13. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

I'm pretty excited as well about this season. I do think we've actually improved a bit. Not a whole lot, but just a bit. Sure we lost Allen and Lewis. I'm way over that now.

The new players that came in, Durant, Green, West, Thomas....we can expect better than average defense from those guys. I'm pretty excited about seeing West play as well. The guy brings energy and hustle at both ends of the court. I think he's an improvement to our perimeter D. We all know what Kurt Thomas brings to the table and having Durant's length and Green's hustle and athleticism on defense will get us those extra tipped passes and that extra blocked shot.

The area where we lost some fireworks is obviously offense. But maybe the improvement on defense will balance out the loss on offense. If Wally is healthy, we've all seen what he can do. He always killed the Sonics while he was with the Wolves, and we know what he's done to the Huskies. The guy can flat out shoot the ball. He's not the answer though. We'll all see more ball movement this season. As much as I dislike Ridnour, I think he'll fit with the system.

14. CLos

CLos JBB=The Originals

If Durant avgs. a solid 17ppg and Green does well, then you guys will be the 2nd to worst team in the Western Conference. I'll give you guys 3-4 years to make some noise.

15. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

I think they will really be that bad. Not expansion team bad, but pretty dang bad. Their likely number 1 and 2 options offensively are rookies and the vets around them are all young and inexperienced or have yet to show any real success in the league.

Things that will make me change my mind...

1) Luke really was held back by Allen and finally has the breakout year he seemed ready to have.

2) Swift really is as good as I have heard him described and as he looked last preseason before the injury.

3) The team actually learns to play defense under PJ.

If those three things happen they might beat last year's win total, but not by much.