Are these players worth 20 million?

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by Petey, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera and/or Phil Hughes?

No only did Cashman blow every team out of the waters with the Yankees offer to CC, lets not forget that he won't part with Ian Kennedy, Melky and Phil Hughes last year for Santana.

So not only are they with the inferior pitcher/ace (CC/Santana), they essentially have paid 20 million to keep the 3 Yankee prospects.... Ah most overrated GM in baseball.

-Petey

2. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I agree that they did blow it last year, but everyone makes mistakes. While CC may be an inferior pitcher to Johan, he's still a damn good pitcher and has the ability to anchor this staff for the next 5 or 7 years. Plus, those three you listed all still have a ton of potential. If Hughes and Kennedy do live up to their potential in the next year or two, we could have a very, very good staff.

3. Petey

Forgot to mention this signing will cost the Yankees draft picks.

So it's:
    CC, Kennedy, Hughes, and Cabrera compared to Santana, picks and 20 million+.

I'd take the later.

-Petey

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  4. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I would take the latter as well...but what can you do. At least we got a good pitcher out of it. Granted we overpaid for him, at least in all likelihood, but we still got a guy that can anchor the rotation and put less pressure on Hughes and Chamberlain and Kennedy.

5. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

It is amazing how the yankees spend and spend and spend. I find it more interesting that last year the marlins played better baseball than the yankees and spent 90% less money on players.

I could be a better GM than Brian Cashman with the amount of money he is allowed to spend. There is no skill involved all you have to do is see a all star player and shell out 20 million a year at him and he is signed. The GMs with talent are the small payroll teams which have to produce winners with a under 50 million payroll like the Rays and Marlins.

6. Petey

He doesn't just spend/spend/spend. I would have NO problem if he were to do that.

He missed out on Beltran, gave Damon a huge contract... He missed out on Santana, and now has spent way more on CC, while he now is willing to trade for Cameron.

He really lacks a solid direction, and vision. If you want to argue he has one, he flips flops on it offseason to offseason. Yes, he is a horrible GM.

-Petey

7. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

I never understood the love for Kennedy and Cabrera. They always seemed more like B Level prospects than the A Level prospects that Yankee fans made them out to be. I'm a fan of a rebuilding team and I wouldn't want to give up anything to trade for either one of those guys at this point. Would I take a flier on them? Yeah. But that's about it. They have no value right now.

I still believe Hughes is going to be a darn good pitcher, though.

8. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

I remember a friend of mine telling me about Hughes coming into the year, so I drafted him or picked him up, forget which, but he was injured quite a bit when he's been on the big league level. I know he dominated the minors in one stretch where he was like 6-0 with a 0.98 ERA.

What ever happened to their great Japanese signing, Kei Igawa?

9. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Kei Igawa was/is an absolute bust. Absolute waste of money.