Are You Pro or Con "Twin Towers"?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ABM, Jan 1, 2009.

1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I only saw portions of the Celtics game, but understand that Joel and Greg were used at the same time along with some decent success.

That being said, would you like to see that strategy employed again at some point?

BTW, which other players were in the game along with them?

2. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    I think Nate will use it again, as long as Greg can be a threat on the post since Joel is no threat offensively unless he's set up for a dunk.
    It's a pretty intimidating inside presence with those two on the floor defensively.

The other guys btw who were with them on the floor were I believe Blake, Bayless and Travis.

3. dpc

dpc BBF refugee

I'm for it if its used at the right time. If they are beating us down low and our guards are scoring well, why not.

4. Rodolfo

Rodolfo Double Stamp>Triple Stamp

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I'm for it if used judicially. It worked for few minutes, but I doubt it would consistently. Also, I'm not wild about seeing all our centers on the floor at the same time.

6. Iwatas

Iwatas Blazers Fan

I am for it - it totally changes the nature of the game, and really surprises the other team.

Offensively, you end up with one BIG on each side of the basket, able to take a feed and dunk the ball. With the Blazer's excellent ball movement, that becomes highly doable.

And on defense, you totally own the paint and the rebounds. The other team stays far out and shoots jumpers.

All the time? no. 5-15 minutes a game, against certain teams? yes.

iWatas

7. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    I haven't seen more than the few minutes it was used in that game, so I can't say that I've had enough time to evaluate it. I'm not against testing it out for a bit, though.

8. mgb

mgb Over-Nite Sensation

I think we can use them effectively at times. I remember when we had the Americas here and the Dream team had Ewing and Robinson on the floor at the same time. No one took it inside!

9. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It should definitely end the bullshit layups and dunks we've been seeing

10. Public Defender

Public Defender brigadier general

asking questions
    If nothing else, that kind of a lineup should light a fire under LaMarcus Aldridge to play tougher inside - or it should let Ike Diogu and Channing Frye know what McMillan wants to see, especially on the defensive end.

Honestly, though, I can't see that lineup working for more than a few minutes at a time, because teams should be able to catch those relatively slow-moving big men out of position through good movement, using screens, picks, and backdoor cuts... for a few minutes, though, can really take a team out of what it's doing.

11. blue32

blue32 Who wants a mustache ride?

I'm pro.

12. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    The real advantage of running the two centers is that it keeps our 3 best bigs on the court:

35 mpg Aldridge
    30 mpg Oden
    25 mpg Przybilla

That gets you 90 minutes a game. Let Outlaw fill in for the other 6, and we need never see Frye or Diogu on the court. Which is a good thing.

13. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I'm very pro-twin-towers.

In a year or two, I'd want to see Oden at 36, LMA at 36, and Joel at 24. That's 96, and that fills out our front line. Then two of Martell, Batum, and Outlaw can stay, each getting 24 minutes, while the third is moved along with Fre, Ike, Raef, Sergio, and Blake. A three-guard rotation of Roy (32), Rudy (32), and Bayless (32) will keep the offense flowing hot and heavy.

That's a tight 8-man rotation, made for for a deep playoff run.

14. ucatchtrout

ucatchtrout Well-Known Member

15. TradeNurkicNow

TradeNurkicNow Resident OT Section Crank

9/11 nvr 4get ;(

anyway, i'm pro, given the correct situation. It's definitely hard to leave greg or joel open under the basket, so having them both out there should be effective, probably.

16. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    It depends on the opponent. A team with a relatively spry power forward who can score could exploit a "twin towers" lineup. A team with a slow-footed power forward (or one who's not much of a scoring threat) may not be able to.

I also like the idea of being able to eventually make Przybilla the sole back-up to both Oden and Aldridge (when everyone is healthy). A three-man rotation at C/PF and a three-man rotation at guard (with Roy/Bayless/Fernandez), a couple of small forwards would definitely be a tight, streamlined rotation. The rest of the roster would be for keeping guys fresh during the regular season and for injury replacement.

My ideal for those two small forwards: Gerald Wallace and Nicolas Batum. Not too implausible.

17. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Anything that gets and keeps Oden on the floor I'm in favor of.

Ed O.

18. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Couldn't agree more; the closer this team can get to playing an 8 or 9 man rotation the better I think for overall consistency throughout the game and in the case of Wallace and Batum I think both are definitely versatile enough to play multiple positions (Wallace at the 3 and the 4, Batum at the 2 and 3).

19. BalancedMan

BalancedMan That's out of context....

I thought LMA and Oden were supposed to be the "Twin Towers".

But as for what has been talked about in this thread, you should play your best players, get them into rythem, and good teams always seem to go only about 8 deep, maybe play the 9th man a bit. Phoenix went with a 7-man rotation a couple of years ago when Amare went out and it worked well for them.

You want to have your "3 bigs", "3 guards" and 2 Swingmen, in my opinion. This works well for us.

Up front we have a defensive center, defensive center, and offensive PF. This is probably better than the standard combination of a C, PF and PF/C (where someone like Frye would play backup PF and C).

For the guards, you have a PG, Combo, and SG, which we do with Blake/Sergio, Roy, Rudy.

For the swingmen, we have Batum and Outlaw (and Webster).

I understand the idea of wanting to develop talent and we are deep, but we have to be realistic that having talent 12 deep isn't the best situation. I'd rather upgrade a bit to make that front 8 better. And it seems that it would be by far easiest to do at PG and Swingman positions. Our other two guard positions and all of our big-man rotation is set with good players, whom I doubt we'd upgrade significantly via a trade.

Of course we already know about this need, but I just like looking at it in a structured format. 8-man rotation. With another good young two players to step in during injuries. 10 good players deep.

20. BalancedMan

BalancedMan That's out of context....

Minstrel, how do you consistently concur with my thoughts ahead of time? You've continued to do this for several years, spanning back to BBF.