Argos see light at end of the tunnel

Discussion in 'Other American Football' started by shookem, Sep 23, 2008.

1. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

'Hopefully, this is the end of all the bad things that are going on,' says frustrated Bruce

Chris Zelkovich
    Sports Reporter

So much for the Toronto Argonauts' plans to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.

That was supposed to be new-again head coach Don Matthews' plan heading into Saturday's game in Calgary. Quarterback Cody Pickett talked all week about that being his mission in his first CFL start.

And though Matthews wasn't keen to identify said playmakers, he made enough hints about the two at the top of the list being running back Dominique Dorsey and slotback Arland Bruce III.

But somewhere between the drawing board and the execution, something went horribly wrong in the Argos' 34-4 loss to the Stampeders. A lot went horribly wrong, in fact, but that's another story.

Dorsey, who barring injury will easily win the CFL's total yardage competition, had only seven runs from scrimmage for 59 yards.

Pickett fed him only two passes on a night when the Stampeders struggled to contain the 5-foot-7 dynamo. With 258 yards on punt and kickoff returns, he amassed a career-high 342 total yards.

He almost single-handedly gave the Argos their greatest penetration on a dismal offensive night, returning a punt 22 yards and following that with a 32-yard run to the Calgary 12 before a botched handoff ended hopes for the team's first touchdown in eight quarters. That was the only time all night the Argos could see the Calgary goalposts without binoculars.

As for Bruce, the team's perennial star receiver caught only two passes for 20 yards. Though both are clearly frustrated, they say it's with the team's performance and not with the lack of action.
    Argos VS Stamps

2. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

I've never seen the Argos play so bad in my life. I mean, every time I turn them on, they are down big.

3. binz

binz ... Staff Member Global Moderator GFX Team

Man, it's pitch black in that tunnel. There is no light. I hope you stay in there forever. XD

4. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

Kerry Joseph sucks, plain and simple and not even Don Mathews can get anything out of these guys.

Is this the end of the line for Pinball?

5. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

We need a good RB. Jack Johnson was nice 2 years ago, but we need a real running back. What's Shaun Alexander saying right now?