Arshavin Sets Heart on Barca Move

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Colonel Ronan, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Russia playmaker Andrei Arshavin has set his heart on a move to Barcelona this summer after the end of Euro 2008.

Arshavin, who has been one of the stars of the tournament in Russia's run to the semi-finals, has also been linked with a move to the Premier League.

But the 27-year-old Zenit St Petersburg midfielder says playing for the club he supported as boy would be his "dream"

"Barcelona are my dream, I never thought I would have a genuine chance to play for the club," said Arshavin.

He added: "I have supported Barcelona all my life, let's see how the situation unfolds. For now I can't say anything for sure."

Arshavin has asked to leave Uefa Cup champions Zenit St Petersburg and his transfer value has soared after his superb performances at Euro 2008.

He has said he would prefer to move to an English or Spanish club and he previously told BBC Radio 5 Live of his admiration for England's top level.

"I see English games on TV - it's the best league in the world," he said. As well as the Uefa Cup, Arshavin helped Zenit win the Russian league last season, but he is now keen to pursue a new challenge in another European league.

Arsenal and Chelsea have already been linked with a possible move, along with Spanish giants Barcelona.

"I would like to change club," said Arshavin in English. "It's not a big difference between England and Spain. It's another level for me."

Zenit coach Dick Advocaat is already resigned to losing his star player when the tournament ends.

"I can understand that he wants to play in Europe," Advocaat told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I think he has some clubs in his mind, some in England and others in Spain, because they are the only two countries he would like to play in.

"If you lose one of your main players you don't like it as a coach but you have to be realistic."

Arshavin was suspended for Russia's opening two games at Euro 2008, but his return has propelled Guus Hiddink's side to a semi-final meeting with Spain, the team that beat them 4-1 in their first group game.

"It is difficult to say which league would suit him best," added Advocaat. "We play more or less 4-3-3 and our wide players have a lot of freedom.

"I'm not sure other coaches will give him the freedom but you have to otherwise it's difficult to use him. He needs the freedom to do what he thinks is best for the team.

"I have worked with him for two years and he is a very talented player.

"He's just turned 27, he's very quick, he has an excellent shot on both legs and besides scoring he can also provide for other players.</div>

[Source]

Oh well.

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

They'll probably get him, since they already sold Santos, will sell Deco and Ronaldinho.

3. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Yep, and Adebayor! [​IMG]

4. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Nice, that's a great pick up for the club!