As a fan, do you agree with depth chart over punishment?

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by Targus, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Nobody was screaming "Bring on the Hornets!'' after a steamy workout at the end of camp because they don't even do that in ''Friday Night Lights'' and besides with some of the execution I saw from the offense I'm not sure OSU was ready for Bemidji State, let alone Sacramento State.

Off. coordinator Danny Langsdorf was cranky at the start, barking at everybody but the wives and girlfriends watching on the sidelines.

The off. execution was not pretty for a long time in the team drills. Seemed like Katz was spending an eternity looking for an open WR at times. On one throw, No. 12 hit OLB Cameron Collins right in the numbers.

Riley indicated after Friday's practice that because of no depth at TE, he can't sit Hamlett for the Sac State game so he would get his one-game suspension for minor in possession out of the way.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2011/08/day_18_at_oregon_state_oh_no_m.html

2. mobes23

mobes23 Well-Known Member

As I've said before, I think we should cut our own scholarships over those players getting caught with alcohol. Anything less is an outrage and a clear sign of lack of institutional control.

3. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

just to make sure I understand the question. A Beaver player who was originally suspended for underage drinking, has to play because of no depth with all the Beaver injuries? I'm fine with it personally. Its not like they were waiting to suspend a big time player because of an important game, and suspending him for a weaker opponent. If it was something a lot bigger I might have a different thought, but if its about Underage drinking, then I fear there would be about 12 people allowed to play each saturday for every team in the country.

BoBoBREWSKI likes this.
  4. mobes23

mobes23 Well-Known Member

Careful Wheels, don't underestimate the severity of the player's infraction. lol

5. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I agree with Wheels.

6. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Who hasn't had alcohol under the age? Everyone does. The good ones don't get caught :ghoti:

7. Targus

Targus Suspended

The point is no consequence for violation of local and team rules. You are aware there is an agreement by the player - giving his word and usually a signature - to abide by team rules of conduct - which includes to abstain from alcohol.

I'm not here to debate alcohol use among college students. This is about keeping a consequence.

This isn't a knock on OSU beause Oregon is in a similar situation with Alonso. We need him at LB and he's been suspended indef, with the ability to EARN playing time back, for alcohol related crimes and team violations.

We will need him vs LSU in a bad way and he'll probably play.

Just seeing if the general consensus among fans is a 'I don't really care the game comes first' attitude, or 'young and impressionable players need consequences or the violation isn't serious'.

I see understand both sides but do think once a player is given a punishment, it should stand.

8. Targus

Targus Suspended

Per Moseley Kiko is not on depth chart. 2 deep LB is a walk on.
    The decision stings but I support consequences for alcohol related violation/breaking of team rules.

9. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Hamlett will be suspended. Just not for game #1. I fail to see how you come up with "no consequences for his actions"?

10. JFizzleRaider

Yeah....reading Oregonlive today, it looks like some of these guys will have 1 game suspensions, just not against sac state. So I guess they will be suffering consequences for their actions?

11. Targus

Targus Suspended

so there will be a consequence, but only at the convenience of the depth chart?

12. JFizzleRaider

Dude it hurts us more not sitting them out against sac state

13. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Ya, no doubt and rather obvious! If we suspended them for the Sac. St. game some Duck fans would be saying that we are taking the easy way out and not really punishing them and the team at all.