OT Assists

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazerkor, Mar 4, 2021.

1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

So this might have been said in here many times before and maybe it hasn't. Maybe this belongs in another thread. Hell, maybe it's a meltdown.

Due to the historic nature of the assist, it has to remain a stat but can't we do better. Can't we start to show the league leader in points assisted. Maybe this is on basketball reference, I'm not sure but shouldn't that be the stat (along with the historically significant "assist") that the NBA goes with. You should count assisted threes as three points, you should count assisted shooting fouls that result in one point as one, two points as two and three points as three. Also "and ones" should be counted (if the free throw is made) as three or four.

This seems kind of obvious to me and again maybe this point has been made but when Dame drops a dime and a guy gets intentionally fouled and makes two free throws, why wouldn't Dame get credit. Also, if a player, let's just call him Dame, dishes out to a wide open teammate for a made three, that should count for more than getting a teammate a layup that only gets the team two points. Anyway, what do you guys think?

I'm sure there is a stat somewhere for this and maybe someone will post the link but shouldn't this be the stat on the front of the ESPN.com or NBA.com stats page and not just the old school assist?

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I like all the ideas you made. They make good sense....and of course, more stats for me to digest!

blazerkor likes this.