Aurilia finds his place- and it looks like first base

Discussion in 'St. Louis Cardinals' started by Charles, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...6/SPQ1VKOGR.DTL

I know there's not a lot of San Francisco Giants fans on this board, and Rich Aurilia getting playing time isn't very newsworthy to 99.99% of the world, but it irritates the heck out of me. Barry Bonds is gone. He probably should have been two seasons ago. But he's gone. The team hasn't been competitive for a few years and hasn't won a championship in over 50. It's time to stop giving time to over the hill players. The Giants do not have a young up and coming star, aside from Angel Villalona, who is at least a year and a half away. But when you aren't competing, you should be playing guys like Fred Lewis (27), Rajai Davis (27) , Nate Schierholtz (24), Kevin Frandsen (25), and Dan Ortmeier (26). Just because they aren't going to win MVP's doesn't mean they can't contribute to a winning team in the future. Rich Aurilia, Dave Roberts, and Ray Durham should not be playing. They young guys should. The older guys should be traded or just out right cut. They can't hit. (Randy Winn can, so that's why he's not in that group. Omar Vizquel isn't really blocking anyone right now, so I left him out too.). They are in front of the younger players who can hopefully improve a little and help the team in a few years when they are ready to compete again.

C-Molina age 33
    1b-Aurilla age 36
    2b-Durham age 36
    ss- Vizquel age 40 (Once he returns from the DL)
    3rd-Frandsen age 25
    RF-Winn age 33
    CF-Rowand age 30
    LF-Roberts age 35

Does that look like a team that is rebuilding or competing? I don't see either one there. Their big offseason signing of Aaron Rowand? They already had four guys who could play centerfield before signing him. He played in a bandbox and is now in a pitchers park. Great pickup.

2. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

Is this like Nets management that deluded themselves into thinking that they could give it just one more shot?

3. Charles

Charles Buster Posey Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Mar 18 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is this like Nets management that deluded themselves into thinking that they could give it just one more shot?</div>

I don't even know how to answer that question. I don't know what the hell they are doing. It's a little hard to say that pitching is a strength if your bullpen is really bad. They did nothing to improve that over the offseason. I think if every player they had this year had a career year, they might come close to a playoff spot but still not make it. They are still going to be paying for their stadium for years. I understand they can't compete w/ the Yanks, Sox, and Mets payroll wise. But that's even more of a reason to not have Ray freaking Durham playing for your team for seven million dollars a year. Eight or ten years ago, I thought Brian Sabean was a great general manager. But I'd love to hear someone give me a rational explanation to signing Dave Roberts to a three year, 18 million dollar contract at the age of 34.

They have Cain and Lincecum to build around. They have the number five pick in the next draft where they should get another bat to go along w/ Villalona. But what am I supposed to watch until those guys start doing something for the major league team? I'd love to see Lincecum pitch shutout ball for seven innings every time out, but is it really worth it if he gets no run support from the offense and Steve Kline and the bullpen blow every game in the late innings anyway?