Notice B/R Suggests a Wesley Matthews Trade Back to Portland

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, May 24, 2018.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

https://www.blazersedge.com/platfor...ers-mavericks-evan-turner-nba-draft-grizzlies

Grant Hughes of Bleacher Report has the former Blazer returning to Rip City in one of his realistic trades involving teams with a top pick in the 2018 NBA Draft.

Dallas Mavericks Get: Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner, Memphis’ No. 4 pick in 2018

Memphis Grizzlies Get: Harrison Barnes, Dallas’ 2019 first-round pick (top-10 protected in 2019, top-five protected in 2020), Portland’s No. 24 pick in 2018

Portland Trail Blazers Get: Wesley Matthews

Why not start with a big one?

Dallas gets a second pick in the top five, which it needs to get its rebuild going. With Dennis Smith Jr. already in the fold, the Mavs can now add two more high-lottery selections around him, setting the team up with a core that can grow together over the next half-decade. The price of accumulating so much young talent is steep: the brutal contracts of Parsons and Turner.

The Mavs’ 2019 cap space takes a hit here with Turner’s $18.6 million salary for 2019-20, but swapping in Parsons for Barnes is a financial wash. The bad money will be all gone by 2020, at which point the Smith-No. 4 pick-No. 5 pick trio should be ready to ascend.

The Grizzlies are stuck trying to compete in the near term as long as Marc Gasol and Mike Conley occupy roster spots and eat up vast swaths of cap space, so adding Barnes and a few other assets makes sense. It might seem like the Grizz are making out too well by also dumping Parsons’ dead money, but they’re the ones surrendering that No. 4 pick, which is the best asset in the deal.

Portland is glad to get off Evan Turner’s salary for the price of its No. 24 pick, reuniting with Matthews on a deal that expires after the 2018-19 season.

2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Check the trade thread.

hoopsjock likes this.
  3. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Bot broken

dviss1 likes this.
  4. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You didn't run your algorithms and subroutines before starting this thread?

:ygrin:

5. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    If I'm Dallas, I am loathe to give up a future 1st.
    If I'm Portland, I don't give up our pick unless they also take Biebs and give us a 2nd.
    If I'm Memphis, I start over. Surely, they don't think Barnes gets them there.

For rebuilding teams, giving up 1sts for future 1sts and vice-versa seems like spinning your wheels.

6. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Both Memphis and Dallas are puzzling to me. I will say that Dallas seemed to turn the corner in terms of realizing they need to be bad based on Cuban's tanking comments but they've only made the playoffs 4 out of 7 years since winning the title and haven't made it out of the 1st round in those 4 appearances. Unless I'm forgetting about someone in those 7 years their only draft pick still on the roster is Dennis Smith JR who they took last draft. That just isn't going to cut it in terms of rebuilding.

Memphis is still holding on to some weird hope that Conley and Gasol are still going to lead them to the promise land. They should('ve) trade those two like the Celtics did with Pierce and Garnett. I don't think they will though considering they fired Fizdale and backed Gasol. I'm not really sure what they are doing.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  7. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Gasol might still have some value (although I believe this wouldn't be huge) but Conley at this point is just a bad contract they can't get out of. There are too many good point guards in the league for Conley to gather any interest with his $30M a year deal. He'll make $34M in 2020-21 at 33.

Gasol has a player option at $25M after next season so they might be better off dealing him now.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    that trade favors Dallas a ton.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Man if Dallas is giving up Barnes, we should be on that. What about Leonard, Aminu, and our pick for Barnes? Throw in Layman to make it work financially.

trailblazer18 likes this.
  10. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Wes can't play anymore so essentially you're giving away your 1st round pick for nothing. No thanks.

Wizard Mentor and Gronk Brady like this.
  11. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

Exactly! People need to get over Wes... he is not a good player anymore... this would be purely a salary move, which makes no sense if you are trying to win now with Dame

BigGameDamian likes this.
  12. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

I don't get why Memphis would do this trade.