Baby Blazers - Fair Analysis? (Bleacher Report)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ABM, Nov 3, 2008.

1. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
  2. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

for a team missing 2 starters and playing the 2nd of a back to back on the road against a rested top tier healthy team fired up from coming off a home loss, no it's not fair.

3. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    There's some truth to it. We do have a habit of playing soft and not attacking. I think a good PG who could break down a defense would help.

4. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

I thought is was pretty fair...especially the weight room part

5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I thought it was a good assessment. Without Greg we're soft. Just like last year.

6. roydezlaw

roydezlaw Member

I thought it was fair. That's the conclusion most would gather watching this team on the road. We play stronger and with more passion in front of the home crowd. We are a very soft team. I think Joel is faster than he says and is Joel and Jerryd our toughest players?

7. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Must be WAY off the mark because this is word-for-word what I've been posting for 2 seasons now and 99% of you have mocked me for it:

A bruising center that can command double teams and defend strong athletic players without fouling.
    A more physical backup forward than Channing Frye.
    More minutes for Sergio Rodriguez.
    Hours upon hours in the weight room for Frye, Outlaw, and especially Aldridge.
    More than anything, the baby Blazers need more experience of playing basketball at the NBA level.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

We mock you for a number of reasons.

9. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

You've wanted Sergio to have more minutes for two seasons?

10. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    and 99% of them spot-on. :drumroll:

11. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

I don't agree that Aldridge is a softy. Look he was going up against Stoudemire, who has 4 more years experience in the Pros and is almost 3 years older.

I guess they just ignored that fact. Whatever.

12. Crimson the Cat

and their report on Brandon is ticking me off too. So let's look at just one game instead of all the others. I agree that the Blazers need experience if they're wanting to make the Playoffs, but knocking Brandon's game as evidence of this is stupid. Brandon exudes experience. I'd take him at that spot over most any not named Kobe. I love what Brandon's brought to the team this year. Take the opener for instance, he could have hung his head, thrown a towel, barked out obscenities, but he didn't. In fact his poise in that game was one of the only redeeming factors I took from that loss. Dude is the utmost professional. I can tell his work on his outside shot over the Summer paid off.

It's plainly obvious to me that Brandon has come out aggressively, more so than last year so far, and shouldered more of the offensive load. What he did in the game isn't proof at all that we need more experience.

13. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's not like the "soft" charge just sprang up overnight.

It's been a pretty common opinion that Aldridge is soft, and I tend to agree with it. That doesn't mean that he's not a good player nor that I'm not glad he's a Blazer... but he's soft.

Ed O.

14. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I think it should be posted in the Blazer's locker room as constructive criticism.

15. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Yeah! Aldridge is gonna SMASH Boozer!! ;)

16. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    I agree Aldridge is soft, just look at his rebounding. A big as athletic should rebound better. Also I'm surprised he doesnt get more blocks. The kid is cat quick and yet doesn't make much of an impact on the defense end. Unfortunately his back up plays the exact same way. I've been saying it for a while we need a backup PF that adds some toughness to this team. Someone that comes in and brings something different to the team

17. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Looking at the current roster, that would be mini-Zach, Ike Diagu. He is more physical and brings something different to the team. However, I don't think I'd take him over Frye.

My choice would be Paul Milsap from Utah. I've liked that guy since he was a rookie.

Gramps...

18. Crimson the Cat

Last year, I shared this opinion of LA. But honestly, I've been excited about Aldridge's effort so far this season. For me, and this may be a cop out to some of you, I've written off the season opener. We all have our opinions on what happened. However, it is the beginning of the season. Aldridge has been shuffled between C and PF due to Oden's injury and had to adjust to Nate's whirlwind tactic of substituting/switching opponents to death. This team was trying to build an identity with Oden and Batum among the starters and now is needing to rebuild another identity with Prz and Outlaw. All this with just nearly the youngest team in the league, mostly on the road, and with limited rest/practice time. If some of you just don't buy into this as a major factor then we have nothing to discuss.

I've been excited about LA's improved commitment to defense. He has had 5 blocks I believe in the past 3 games. He has been more scrappy on defense and is altering shots. Again, I'm really liking what I've seen from him on the defensive end. Now, he didn't look great against Stoudemire, but he's not nearly as experienced and as developed yet. Given time, that match up would be more evenly matched. Age and experience is a huge advantage.

His rebounding totals have increased every game, despite playing less minutes in his last game. Don't forget about how positioning is the key to grabbing boards. I would guess, from just watching, that the majority of his shots have not been in the low post. And, I highly doubt that's due to him being soft and not wanting to mix it up inside, but that Nate needs Lamarcus outside of the paint to open up the driving lanes for Brandon and Travis to operate.

Lamarcus is going to be a big presence inside this year on defense. You all just watch! It's just going to take him and the team time to figure it all out. The signs are there. Each game you'll see a bit more improvements. I guarantee it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  19. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

Having Martell Webster or Oden isn't winning us either the Lakers or Suns games. I'm also tired of the back-to-back game excuse. Mike Barrett's homer blog loves to use that one.

This team plays terrible defense and doesn't have players that can get to the free throw line for easy points. We need an upgrade in talent to even be in the running for the 8th spot now that we've seen.

20. GODunk

GODunk Member

I don't agree with the assessment of Batum, for sure. I don't think he made multiple mistakes. I think that he was our best defender. As far as finishing at the rim, at one point, he was grabbed around the body with one arm trapped, and it caused him to lose the ball. I think he should have played thirty minutes.

Aldridge is what he is. He is not a power player, probably never will be, so why expect it? There are some nights when the match-up is going to over-power him in the post (Boozer will be another). That is why this team absolutely needs Greg.

Blake and Outlaw were the culprits against Phoenix. Outlaw stops the ball consistently, and as such I felt he was the Suns best defender (he did more to disrupt our offense than they did). He is our version of Barbosa. Blake is the definition of Vanilla (and I mean the cooking kind without sugar). He's as bland as a teaspoon of flour. He is a poor defender. He never takes a chance (which I think is ultimately because he has poor court vision). Nash sees the plays develop in advance (I think Sergio and Rudy do as well), Blake is a half-second behind.